Can't Preset z9s to 4K23Hz When Connected to my System

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by cappy1, Jul 27, 2020.

1. cappy1

cappy1 Member

Sorry for confusion, but when I reported OK at 4k23, earlier, the post a few seconds before said "Yes, working with video playing". I thought you were going record EDID and playing a movie would be OK. Movies play fine at 4K23, but I just can't preset 4K23. I will try to be more specific each time I post.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Right - I understand now!

What I'm now really struggling to understand is that if we have the Vertex straight after the Zidoo, and with a full fat EDID loaded, ie EDID 11, then that should stop any device further up the chain from affecting the Zidoo.

That could be the case though, if these are two separate issues:

1. When you select 4K23 but don't see the confirm dialog and the screen just goes black

2. When you have already forced 4K23 (pressing <left><enter> blindly) and it resets to 4K60 on reboot

So with Zidoo > Vertex > Lumagen > Projector and EDID 11, force 4K23 by pressing <left><enter> 5 seconds after selecting 4K23.

Confirm the gui mode is 4K23, either by pressing <info> on the remote or looking on the Vertex and then switch the Zidoo off and on again with the remote and see what mode it comes back on with.

3. cappy1

cappy1 Member

Item #1. Yes, this correct. It goes black and eventually comes on at 60Hz.
    Item #2. Correct, if "reboot" means entire system.

Per you instructions, set EDID 11, then forced 4K23. Rebooted Zidoo (remainder of system left on) and it came on at 4K23.
    Out of curiosity, kept Zidoo On while in 4K23, and rebooted Lumagen & projector. Zidoo changed back to 60Hz.

The other thing I don't understand is why Custom EDID10 (Sony) with Zidoo>Vertex2>Lumagen>Projector doesn't work. Recall that Zidoo>Sony projector allows 4K23 preset.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  4. cappy1

cappy1 Member

Note: I corrected my last post after you logged on. Note sure if it would update automatically.

5. Markswift2003

Ok, I was expecting the Zidoo to boot back at 4K23. But I wouldn't expect it to change to 4K60 when you reboot anything further up the chain given the Vertex is controlling the EDID seen by the Zidoo (definitely got "Custom" radio button selected on the Vertex and not "Automix"?)

So now, do as before, ie forced 4K23, EDID 11 and reboot the Lumagen and projector separately and see which one triggers the frame rate change.

My bet is the projector.

6. cappy1

cappy1 Member

Bad news:
    While in 4K23, EDID 11 (Custom button selected & EDID 11), rebooting the projector did not trigger Zidoo rate change...rebooting Lumagen changed Zidoo back to 60Hz.

7. cappy1

cappy1 Member

Out of curiosity, here is info on Lumagen's current input and output:

Input: 1080p, 60Hz, 444, SDR709, HDCP Off
    Output: 4096x2160p, 60Hz, 422-SDR709, HDCP 2.2

The Lumagen uses SDR so it can do tone mapping.

8. Markswift2003

Right - so the Zidoo is not changing from 4K23 to 4K60, it's changing from 4K23 to 2K60?

9. cappy1

cappy1 Member

Yes, I hadn't noticed that...a clue? In comparison, if I try setting 4k23 normally (without forcing), it goes back to 4K60.

10. Markswift2003

Could be - I know my Zidoos do very occasionally revert to 2K60 but it only seems to be when I move them room to room or am messing about disconnecting everything - not really tied down when it happens but it never seems to happen when they're plugged in and being used, only when I fully depower (unplug power supply) for a period of time and never when connected to the Vertex (I have the Vertex in permanently to deal with HDR for my projector)

So forgetting what device is at fault and why, I'm now really puzzled why, with the Vertex stuck between the Zidoo and the Lumagen, the Lumagen is having any bearing on the video mode of the Zidoo.

That's exactly the sort of thing that the Vertex is designed to fix.

I still think this is something Jim can sort out but I would first go back to HDFury and ask the above question - how can the Lumagen possibly affect the Zidoo when the Vertex is stuck in between the two...

11. Markswift2003

Actually - here's something to try:

Switch on HTPC mode in the Config tab on the Vertex for the input that the Zidoo is on..

Capture.JPG

The idea of this is to stop upstream devices affecting the source...

12. cappy1

cappy1 Member

OK, will do. I will also ask how to verify the projector EDID was copied properly, so when Vertex2 is inserted before Lumagen it is properly outputting projector EDID. Will keep you posted.
    Thanks so much for your effort. I never expected this sort of help from a forum member...certainly above and beyond the call of duty!:)

13. cappy1

cappy1 Member

Oops, our messages crossed. Will try.

14. Markswift2003

No worries at all - I find this stuff fascinating..

The EDID you sent me yesterday from the Sony was definitely the projector EDID.

15. cappy1

cappy1 Member

Switching on the HTPC RX0 On did not seem to help...after full reboot of everything still could not preset 4K23 on Zidoo.

16. Markswift2003

But have you tried the <left><enter> trick to get 4K23 then rebooting the Lumagen and/or rebooting the Zidoo?

As I said, I think it's two issues:

1. Either the Lumagen or Projector not syncing to 4K23 in time for the confirmation dialog to show (as we know, if you just hit <left><enter> as if you saw the dialog withing the timeout period, then it works, so the mode is valid.

2. The Lumagen passing something back down the chain when it reboots and/or the Zidoo reboots

17. cappy1

cappy1 Member

With HTPC RX0 On:
    Forced 4K23 on Zidoo.
    Turned Lumagen Off then On...Zidoo reset to 2K60
    Forced 4K23 on Zidoo again.
    Turned projector Off then On...Zidoo stayed at 4K23

18. Markswift2003

Mad isn't it!

Reckon it's time to hit HDFury for ideas - I don't think worry about black screen while setting 4K23 just yet - that's just a time-to-sync issue - the main thing is what's coming back down the chain from the Lumagen to reset the Zidoo and why does HTPC mode not cure it?

19. Markswift2003

By the way - what if you turn the Zidoo on and off with HTPC mode on?

20. cappy1

cappy1 Member

1. HTPC previously set & everything off. Turned on Zidoo & maybe 5 seconds later powered on system w/Control4. Zidoo came on in 4K23 from previous forced setting.
    2. Switched to another source & back to Zidoo...still in 4K23.
    3. Turned Zidoo off then on...still in 4k23.
    4. Turned Zidoo and system off.
    5. Repeated step #1, except waited for Zidoo to fully boot, then turned on System w/Control4. This time the Zidoo came on in 2k60.o_O