"Cant play file" error

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Ankit Bhargava, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Ankit Bhargava

Ankit Bhargava New Member

Hello everyone, am new to Z9X and new to forum.
    I setup my Z9X today and connected my WD My home 4TB drive using SMB.

While I could see all files but I can't play any, I am getting error "file can't play".

When I try an external disk connected to USB, I can play files.

I updated to latest software available when "beta version" is allowed. Am on v6.4.42

Please help resolving this.

2. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

So are you saying that the exact same file that is NOT able to be played when accessed via local network on your WD My Home and shows the "File can not be played" message, plays just fine when loaded on the external HDD connected to your USB input? Very strange indeed...

3. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

I can think of two things
    1. Are you using WiFi or Ethernet on the Zidoo? WiFi may not be fast enough and/or stable enough to stream the file.
    2. Sounds like it could also be a permission issue. Maybe the account that you use to connect over SMB only has permission to list files but does not have permission to actually read the files.

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Just try to rename the file via SMB. If that works the access rights have no issue as it requires Read/Write rights and doesn't use bandwidth. Next try a copy for revealing any bandwidth issues.

Ankit Bhargava likes this.
  5. Ankit Bhargava

Yes exactly!

Ethernet is all fine, just changed the name of a file successfully from media center.
    Just renamed a file successfully :)

The error persists "Can't play Video".

6. Ankit Bhargava

Tried copying a 500 MB file from network drive to Zidoo storage, it says "copy failed"

7. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Is this "WD 4TB My Cloud Home"? Can you set up SMB directly on local network on this drive? Isn't this drive working over the WD Cloud log in server all the time?
    I don't know if WD My Cloud can work as SMB to serve media on local network. I don't have it but remember reading something about when My Cloud Home drives were introduced to the market years ago.

Ankit Bhargava likes this.
  8. Ankit Bhargava

Definitely looks like problem with the WD Home Cloud drive. I could access Movies on it using Plex because it has Plex server built in. Now using Plex on Zidoo is another spectrum to explore.

9. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I use Western Digital My Cloud drives but NOT the Home drives.

I bought one a couple of years ago and immediately returned it - what a POS - it's not a true NAS drive at all - configurable and usable only through Western Digital's website. Whether that's changed now I don't know but you were unable to create and administer local shares and there was no local web interface which made it utterly useless for serious users.

Since you can't get the original My Clouds (which were brilliant) I now use Western Digital EX2 drives.

3DBuff likes this.
  10. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

I have a 6Tb My Cloud still in use and did regularly use a 8Tb My Cloud Home via SMB (until it just died completely :mad: ).

There is a published technique to getting SMB to work with files, but it is far from obvious when you first use it.
    I found I needed to move all my video files to the "Public shared folder", so then my media player (HiMedia Q10Pro at the time) could see and play everything.
    It then works as a normal network drive (allocated a drive letter in Windows) and could be seen by my Zidoo and content played without problems (until it just stopped working and became unrecoverable.......).

11. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes that's right - thing is I didn't want files in a public folder and also you couldn't create and name any further shares and you couldn't name the device on the network. All a bit rubbish.

Don't know about the Home, but there is a recovery method for My Clouds if you get the dreaded flashing blue light... using a recovery file on a USB stick and telnet.

12. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

The difference is the "public folder" can be made only accessible on the local network via SMB, and I was able to create and name folders in Windows. ZDMC found it with no issues (and HT4 using the IP address).

I know what you mean about the flashing blue light, but mine never recovered and removing the WD Red drive from the box, found it completely dead.
    I find external USB HDD cases with GPT and NTFS drives, better value these days than a single network drive .
    My very old 4Tb Seagate Centrals are still connected and running fine, but not used as much as QNAP and Thecus NAS's with RAID 5.

13. Nice Monkey

USB drives have been cheaper per TByte than Internal HDD's for years. I am extracting the HDD's from those for a long time already.
    Never had any issue with any and take the loss of warranty for granted. Strange? It is simply a different vertical market sold via other channels mostly.

Anybody interested in a large quantity of USB3 housings, USB3 cables, PSU's 12V 1.5A ?

14. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

:D

I purchased this one just before Christmas:
    https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Exos...&qid=1673883734&sprefix=16+TB+,aps,108&sr=8-6

It appears to be brand new as per CrystalDiskInfo. It showed 0 hours and 1st boot when I connected it to PC. No scratches, or signs of any usage on the outside. It has brand new white label factory attached with "refurbish" on it and sealed in air tight antistatic bag. It looked like surplus overstocked drives and never sold. Best price ever.

15. Nice Monkey

16. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

It's 16TB with 18x speed or whatever it means. It should be fine for full 16TB format as per your multiple posts :)

17. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Didn't get a chance it install it yet. I have to move things around a bit first.

18. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I'd love some extra USB wires and Power adapters! I still use external ones and am always in need of an extra wire around the computer! Although that has calmed down a bit with SMB transfers.

19. Nice Monkey

Just P.M. me.

B0RN likes this.