Resolved Can i download torrents directly from Flud/uTorrent to an external hard drive?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by Laisvunas Civilis, May 29, 2017.

1. Laisvunas Civilis

Laisvunas Civilis New Member

Can i download torrents directly from Flud/uTorrent to an external hard drive? On Flud I can move and copy the torrent but only to the internal storage (Which is only 16gb) and something called SD Card 1 which I assume is my external HDD but I can't find a suitable file path to my folder which contains all my movies. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

2. n_p

n_p Active Member

You cant find a suitable filepath? Explain in detail... ;)

Short answers:

Option 1: This thread has a method in it that allows you to integrate external storage more deeply: http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?posts/16348/

Option 2: If your external HDD is formated in ntfs you can (in concept, not tested on the X9S) use Paragon NTFS from the Play Store to mount the entire harddrive to a folder that shows up as /sdcard/ParagonNTFS/

Correct way of doing this:
    Would be to use the OpenWRT part of the X9S, mount the harddrive there, then use transmission (should already be preinstalled on OpenWRT) to "torrent" on the device. Transmission is a light weight BT client, that gives you a web interface (ipadress: port), that can be accessed via an API (== there are Android and iPhone Apps for it), that people have written Chrome extensions for...

And as a plus, it starts as soon as the device starts, no need to launch an app.. ;)

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  3. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

transmission starts that fast that it starts before the mount happens, you will need to add 1 minute sleep time to startup script. other than that, should work out of the box

4. n_p

n_p Active Member

Funny, thats what I had to do on my Tomato Router as well... :)

Here is HaoSs "guide" on how to do it in the transmission config on the X9S:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/nas-service.2873/page-4#post-14687

Just to give you an idea of what is possible on Open WRT, here is my Tomato startup script (not the same as the transmission config file) on my router - with some explainations (brackets have to be removed for the script to work. ;))

Code:
    sleep 35 [wait for 35 seconds, doing nothing]
    killall transmission-daemon [force close all open transmission instances]
    sleep 1 [wait one second for good measure ;)]
    cd /tmp/mnt/Passport/torrents [navigate to the torrents folder on one of the mounted harddrives]
    cd .settings [and into the settings subfolder]
    cp settingsbackup.json settings.json [copy a manually edited settings file over the transmission settings file (which frequently gets overwritten by the router)]
    sleep 1 [wait 1 second for good measure]
    export EVENT_NOEPOLL=1 [do some transmission related vodoo for good luck ;) ( https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?t=10931 ) ]
    /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/Passport/torrents//.settings [start transmission, from the optware partition (/opt/bin/ not needed on the X9S), loading the specified settings file]
    echo done [print out the word done :) ]
    sd-idle -c 60 [set a custom idle time for the attached harddrives - (sd-idle might not be included in the X9S Open WRT build), this fixed an issue with my HDDs unmounting/remounting periodically]

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  5. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Or a more easy way. " vi /etc/init.d/transmission " add " sleep 60" before something=99. Should be a blank line there.

6. n_p

n_p Active Member

If you click on HaoSs guide above, he also has some handy information, how to get out of vi (a command line text editor), once you've done that. ;)

My startup script is more elaborate, because I had to use a custom settings file (which allows you to config transmission more granulary thatn Open WRTs GUI interface), that Tomato for some reason always chose to overwrite with a default one - even when its properties were set to read only. Its just to show people what you can do on OpenWRT to launch a program, to force close a program and so on. I posted it more as a primer.

If you can get away with HaoSs "more simple" solution, use that. :)

7. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

Solution is add a delay.
    It'll add to firmware .
    Resolved.

8. Leonardo

Leonardo New Member

Good afternoon everyone, so I'm a layman on the subject of TV box, in 2016 I decided to buy a box to see my movies, I called an external Seagate HD and set up tTorrent and kodi, everything perfect, I did something like Netflix . My x10 arrived today and I thought it was just connecting the external hard drive that it would recognize as internal memory, but it does not recognize it, it only recognizes it as portable storage, and in tTorrent it says I only have 10.88 gb, what can I do to download my movies in torrent and play them?