Can a HDMI 2.0 Splitter be used to separate audio from video?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by chiquito3, Sep 25, 2019.

1. chiquito3

chiquito3 Member

Hi,
    Can an HDMI 2.0 Splitter be used to separate audio and video output so that video would go to TV and audio to a receiver?

2. Techsavvyindo

Techsavvyindo New Member

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Egreat makes the H10 splitter just for that purpose to be used with their own media players. I would not know why it should not work with Zidoo media players too.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Techsavvyindo likes this.
  4. Techsavvyindo

Techsavvyindo New Member

Egreat H10 is very difficult to find and more expensive than viewHD

Another option with premium price is HDFury

5. chiquito3

chiquito3 Member

It seems to be more expensive than I expected. I wonder if this one would work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4K-HDMI-2-0-Cable-Repeater-Mirror-Splitter-Amplifier-HUB-Box-3D-1-In-4-Out-1x4/223641790179?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=40719&meid=4950defb7341403291daf60e15674111&pid=100290&rk=1&rkt=4&mehot=pp&sd=223641790179&itm=223641790179&pmt=1&noa=1&pg=2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Btw, is there any way to add a fan to the board of the Zidoo Z9S?
    I plan to connect two 2TB SATA HDD and want to keep it cool.

Thanks for all your replies.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  6. woody

woody Member

The link above to HDMI splitter looks like it will only duplicate/multiply the input.

7. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Would you be able to fit 2x hard drives and an internal fan in that casing ?
    Easiest option is you bought the wrong model and should of purchased the Z10 instead .

8. chiquito3

chiquito3 Member

I do not intend to put them inside, just connect one to each SATA port.

9. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

could you not purchase a ssd drive instead ?
    Wont req a fan .

10. chiquito3

chiquito3 Member

Is that so? It says that it will multiply the output of the device connected to the HDMI input connector.

11. woody

woody Member

I thought you want to separate Audio/Video. This looks to just multiply the video&audio(combined). For the price quoted I don't think it can separate Audio.

12. chiquito3

chiquito3 Member

Well, you are right, but if both outputs have the same a/v signal and one is going to the tv and the other to the receiver and the receiver can only play the audio signal.
    Ain't that supposed to work, at least in theory?

13. woody

woody Member

Things to consider using passthrough splitter, is the handshake between the source and the destination. HDCP standards would come into play.

More research need to be done. My guess would be that the feed to TV would get affected based on what your audio receiver capability. Even though the feeds are separate, both TV and Audio receiver would be sending back acknowledgement that would affect this setup unless something is done about it.

I don't know about all this for sure, but I suspect those higher priced splitters are handling that actively. The acknowledgement coming back from HDMI 1.4 Audio receiver doesn't affect what's going on with the HDMI 2.0 from the TV.

chiquito3 and Techsavvyindo like this.
  14. chiquito3

chiquito3 Member

Oh... I get it now. Since it is a two-way communication both the tv and the receiver would send back signals that would confuse the Zidoo player.
    Thanks a lot for that clarification.

15. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

i use an audio extractor to feed to my amp which only supports hdmi 1.3. its not perfect but works most of the time n not too expensive.