Black screen 10 bits

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by Gonzalo Bouzas, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Tha
    Thank you I have tried this but It didn't work

2. mingo74

mingo74 New Member

I had a similar problem, random black screen during 2-3 seconds with audio on, several times during the movie. I was unable to find a pattern. It happens with 1080p and 4k videos. I try several HDMI cables (the last one certified). I mess a lot with settings (auto framerate, bitcolour, chroma settings, both in zidoo, zdmc and tv), video surces (gigabit ethernet, usb port), enviroment (direct tv conection, through AVR, etc). I was unable to find a reason.
    finally I flashed firmware 1.7.7, then sequentially to 2.1.30, finally install zdmc.
    It works fine in all conditions (usb, ethernet, direct to tv, through AVR, 1080p, 4k, diferent resolutions and colour settings, etc) but only for a few days. After few days it starts to show same issue without changing anything in settings or enviroment.
    Hope this is fixed in next firmware......meanwhile I switch to vero 4K+ .......

gymnos likes this.
  3. Ovidiu Necula

Ovidiu Necula Member

I watched a movie tonight and random black screen are back! Definitely a firmware issue and I have z10.

4. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

seems to happen to me within home theater but not during movie playback. pretty consistent a few secs after I started home theater.

5. Theeraphon

Theeraphon Member

Have you guys tried new firmware .40?

6. colab860216

colab860216 New Member

Hi, I can share you my experience

My TV SONY 55HX750 & 55W800B also met the same problem with my HTPC, I try many ways but all failed, so I abandon HTPC and back to use android box, after serveral month I update windows 10 to latest version and in this time everything goes fine with same HTPC, same HDMI cable, same amplifier

After I bought Z9S, for some time the issue go back again on 55HX750 but not on 55W800B (not always), what I do is I change setting to force 10 bit instead of auto (auto mode recognize my TV as 12bit) and HX750 works fine

For my PS4, the deep color mode can be actived without any problem

My suggestion is if you can't solve this issue with force 10 bit or 8 bit, then forget this mode please

7. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

Im not 100% certain but also think the black screen issue only manifested after I played w the hdmi n color space settings too.

8. jycai

jycai New Member

I found out Ethernet port with static ip only gave me about 40~50 Mps on speedtest, so it might be one of the reason for black screen., however Z9S showed full Gigabit speed with DHCP enabled.
    Hope @mirror and zidoo team can fix this issue in future firmware release.
    X9S is working fine on both static and DHCP enabled ip.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  9. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

I’ve also had the random black screen problem. Never had this with any other media players including the x9s

10. xtripsnova

xtripsnova Member

Those intermittent black screens happens with no pattern at all. Under each firmware I have tried along the updates. I am now using 2.1.40.
    This is really annoying as every time it happens I have to rewind for 10-20 seconds.
    I am connected straight to Lumagen Radiance Pro with a certified 2.0a cable, so forget about external causes.

11. afss

afss Active Member

Last week I finally received my Z9S and would like to report what I think is this black screen issue I am seeing, which I believe are HDMI re-synchs triggered by the Z9S. I have both media players connected to a Denon receiver and then a JVC projector (RS540), and had no issues at all using the older X9S. I have upgraded the Z9S to the latest beta (2.1.40). I have setup 10bit priority, in order to avoid banding.

- If set the main resolution of my new Z9S to 4K(with 24hz for instance), there are various HDMI re-synchs during the menu exhibition and if I play a 1080p movie it changes the resolution to 1080p and I did not experience other re-synchs during movie playback. On the other hand, while playing back a 4K movie there were periodic HDMI re-synchs.

- I then changed the main resolution to 1080p and there were no more re-synchs during Z9S menu, and then I played a 4K movie and only experimented 1 re-synch during the movie playback.

There is clearly some instability of the HDMI interface, specially while using 4K as the main resolution (via configuration menu). Those issues do not exist with the X9S on the same cabling and chain of elements.

gymnos and xtripsnova like this.
  12. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Ok, that's interesting - you have very similar hardware to me and yet I've never seen this issue at all.

I have Z9S connected to a Denon 8500 then to a JVC X7000 projector (which I believe is the same as the RS500) via a 15M (50ft) HDMI cable.

Out of interest, the 15M HDMI cable was installed in 2006 when I built the room and obviously that was way before the manufacturers knew anything about 4K, HDMI was only at version 1.2 and it takes anything I throw at it!

Gui resolution set to 3840x2160p23, colour depth 10-bit 4:4:4, HDMI range 16-235, auto resolution and auto frame-rate on and as I say, I've never seen this black screen issue and don't have any issue with resyncs.

I've also extensively tested the Z9S with a Denon 7200 to a Samsung 75" LCD via a 5M (16ft) HDMI cable and again, no issues.

So there's something other than a simple issue with the box going on here.

13. afss

afss Active Member

Quite interesting indeed - I also have exactly your setup: 3840x2160p23, colour depth 10-bit 4:4:4, HDMI range 16-235, auto resolution and auto frame-rate on.

I have a Denon 7200 and a JVC RS540 (I believe the same as X7900).

Zero issues with my X9S (as well as my himedia Q5 PRO) and all those blackouts/re-synchs happening with the Z9S.... pretty frustrating.....

14. Markswift2003

So one issue I did have which I seem to have alleviated is random audio loss. I put this down to me messing about going forward and backwards through OTA firmware revisions, which Zidoo advise against.

The way I fixed it was to first back up the HT2 data so I could easily get back to where I was.

I then used a copy of the USB restore firmware v1.7.8 (this is not the OTA release) and used the emergency restore procedure to get back to factory.

Then I updated to 2.1.40 OTA as normal.

This can be risky if you don't follow the restore procedure to the letter, but it may be worth a go...

Links to the restore firmware and the procedure are at the bottom of the first post on this page:

http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=3909.0

15. xtripsnova

xtripsnova Member

I went through the whole shebang you described, and in the end I still had a 8 seconds black screen with audio on a 1080p file. I don't know what you have but I am with the other guys and do have that problem.

16. x9suser

x9suser Member

I have the same exact problem. My TV is same model family as yours. Samsung KS7000 (Asian model).

Black screen every few seconds when movie plays at 4k 10 bit at 23.976.

When I force same movie to play at 1080p, it plays without black screen. When I play at 4k, but set the color priority in z9s settings to 8 bits, there is no black screen problem.

Z9S connected directly to Samsung TV. UHD color turned on for Samsung HDMI.

FW I tried (original 1.7.8 then updated to 2.1.30. Both same problem)

I also have X9S, never experienced this problem before.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  17. Emphyrio

Emphyrio Member

the same, unable without black screen to play 4k 10 bit.
    8 bit is ok

18. afss

afss Active Member

Ok, so after a few days of flawless playback, my Z9S started with the black-screen/HDMI re-synchs again. Even keeping the menu at 1080p/60 (which seemed to have resolved the issue) during the playback of a 4K/24 movie (Z9S setup as 10bit 4:4:4), I got several black-screen/HDMI re-synchs :-(

So, there is some sort of random instability going on, which may be hard to reproduce by Zidoo, but it definitively happens.

I switched back to the Himedia Q5 pro, going through the same Denon receiver and into my JVC projector, and no more issues....

Please, Zidoo team, we need your help addressing this problem.

19. Markswift2003

There's been some more discussion of this on the firmware thread too - it looks to me like an incompatibility between the Zidoo and Denon receivers - As I've said previously, I have 2 Denons, a 7200 and an 8500 and haven't seen this issue, but Denon does keep cropping up in these conversations...

20. Tiward

Tiward New Member

Hi,
    I've just got a z9s and have the same problem, tried 2 different hdmi cables and is directly connected to TV - ks7000, 23hz it flashes and 60hz its fine, all other settings make no difference. Hope this gets fixed soon