Beta version 6.0.60 for Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mirror, Nov 6, 2020.

1. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

I finally gave in and installed the new firmware.

HDR:
    • I would prefer VS10 for SDR so that my HDR and DV videos will be native while non-HDR videos in DV
    • But then as most of my videos are SDR so there will always be resync at the start, this has always annoyed me. This is not a bug, only at the start where it's to be expected
    • So I resorted to VS10 for all. With VS10 the HDR and DV contents look slightly better, and the SDR content looks amazing. So no start-up resync, and best the video quality (to my eyes)
    Resume:
    • I'm glad that there's a new option for "Text". With this option no more big window covering the video and I can use the left button if I want to start over
    • I would prefer that it asks me before the video starts, but this will do.
    Subtitle:
    • The brightness control for PGS is really neat! This is something that I noticed when I first got into HDR
    • Still not global settings for subtitles, for position, size, fonts, etc
    More as I discover.

2. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

i love the idea of the new DV options

but having to go back in and change them everytime we swap from sdr to Hdr content ...wouldnt it be easy to have EACH of the DV options as permanent for each type
    ie sdr does look great in DV
    but then we have to go all the way in to swap if we want to watch say an HDR 10+ series like the boys et al

or even as ive suggested a few times make them setable via hotkeys
    ie yellow SDR dv on /off Blue HDR DV on/off etc

3. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

I've tried my modded HT 4.0.31 on Z9S and I've problems with the permissions and the library backup/restore doesn't really work. modded 4.0.25 works without trouble. I'm not sure if this related to my mod or if 4.0.31 isn't working correctly.

xskip likes this.
  4. Oldirtydog

Oldirtydog Member

i watch The mandalorian HDR on vs10 engine hdr to vision,after that i watch on AUTO and cannot see any difference....DV and ATMOS on mkv on HDR AUTO dont work again

5. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

im watching Mandalorian s2e02 atm
    i can see a noticable difference switching between hdr auto ,vs10 hdr ,and lldl versions

the lldl seems alot darker ...overly crushed blacks
    Vs10 seems a lot better than HDR auto ...down to yoda at start has slightly more green tinge.....Mandos armor takes on a lot more metalic gloss look and while a bit darker ,the shadowy backgrounds dont seem to lose much
    Defintly a nice improvement

Z9X direct to Panasonic Z1000 Oled

6. Oldirtydog

Oldirtydog Member

when repear atmos and vision on HDR auto then is nice improvement....all other things is crap

7. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

The “Bookmark Resume Text Mode” is very good, however, the duration shown is too short because of the resync/black flashes going on at the start of the video due to frame rate changes, at times only allow 2 secs to see and respond.

May I suggest adding another 2-3 secs to the on-screen time.

8. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

The KL (Kino Lorber) problem not enabling the included subtitles when playing without Menu is not solved. :(
    Truckloads of KL Classic Movies being released constantly.

Music Player improvements are coming very slow and it is still not stable.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  9. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

DVD anamorphic video now fixed. Dispays in correct 1.78:1 aspect ratio.

10. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes, pretty much - last time I checked, black clipped at 68/0.5% (should be 64) so that's pretty good. White clip, with a 1000nit test pattern is at 723/75.2%) which is correct behaviour for that pattern.

For completeness, there is a slight issue with black floor but I don't want to make a big thing out of it because again, it's minimal in VS10 LLDV. In fact now we have VS10 SDR and VS10 HDR settings to play with I think the actual issue is with system generated video (the gui etc) rather than the overlay video so I need to do a bit more testing this week to figure out what's happening.

If for example you play a 3840x1600 black clip pattern, so 2.35:1, the black bars top and bottom are system generated as opposed to video and it is these that have raised levels rather than the black level in the video.

This is why when switching to VS10 with an SDR or HDR TV, you see the gui brightness raise - in the case of an SDR TV (or SDR EDID), very considerably.

11. Markswift2003

Yes, so it depends how you want to play it - personally I currently use LLDV on my projector - not because it gives a better picture to native HDR or SDR, I personally don't think it does, but purely so that all content is output in the same mode which reduces resyncs.

But all this is personal choice - purists will say output SDR in SDR, HDR in GDR and DV in DV - so that means Auto, but if you prefer the look of say SDR in DV but HDR in HDR then choose VS10 SDR. If you prefer the look of HDR in DV but want SDR passthrough then choose HDR VS10. In both instances, native DV (in supported profiles) will pass through as DV.

If you want everything in DV then choose either VS10 or LLDV - depending what's available - some TVs won't support LLDV.

I'll try and put this together in a table and attach it to the sticky at the top of the forum...

blenky and ammar11 like this.
  12. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Thanks for sharing. Good to get it confirmed.

13. DIKKE

DIKKE Active Member

interesting, after the .35 update my Samsung UHD tv ( model 40 inch T-KTSUDEUC HDR, HDR+ ) does not switch to HDR if HDR content is played. ( setting is auto ) . If i put the ' mapp all to HDR setting' on, the samsung does notice it, and if i press info on the samsung, it shows UHD HDR.

14. vddan

vddan Active Member

Latest firmware installed. (.. 6.0.60) ......... good things the new VS10 settings which allow everyone to find the right setting according to their installation and their tastes !!
    Personally after several tests last night I checked this setting: 'Dolby Vision VS10 Engine for HDR' .......... which allows me to have top image quality on all my files: HDR Or not HDR, the image is clean, colors superb and aspect 'not hard', because this setting outputs in HDR the files which are hard and does not upscale the files not HDR ........... ...
    So I test over several days ..............
    Improvement of HT4, more accurate scrappe ...........
    Bug on the UHD 4K HDR file in 60hz, every time I read it and when stopped ...... black screen and the device no longer responds, have to turn off and on again ...... .......... well not too serious I only have this file in 60hz: eh:
    To be continued........

15. Joao Franco

Joao Franco Member

For me the HDR Auto it´s the way to go
    With VS10 engine my black bars arey greys and the image is not so sharped and vivid colours.

What does Bookmark Resume Text Mode?
    Can not see diferences or something is escaping me.

PGR Subtitles should have a size option.

16. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

[QUOTE="Markswift2003, post: 137071, member: 21473]

But all this is personal choice - purists will say output SDR in SDR, HDR in GDR and DV in DV - so that means Auto,[/QUOTE]
    Except LG owners are getting LLDV for Dolby Vision in Auto instead of Standard Dolby Vision, there needs to be a TV Led processing option in Auto.

17. Markswift2003

LLDV output is down to the TV's EDID.

You'll never see true "TV led" processing since BL+EL+RPU isn't supported so it's a bit of a moot point.

18. Markswift2003

There are luminance level issues with VS10 processing that need sorting out.

Dialogue Resume throws a dialogue selection box when a video is resumed as it always has - text resume just shows a line of text at the top of the screen. Not sure why that was added, it should just be a "silent" resume option - ie no prompts at all..

19. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

After some more testing on LG C6. VS10 engine for SDR could be okay moving forwards but it has bugs.

With VS10 SDR only mode and Frame-rate change only set with 2160p 60hz resolution (forced).
    SDR videos are converted to dolby vision and output at 1080p 24p. On exit OS switches back to 2160p 60hz (forced) (It doesn't need the resolution change setting anyway because 1080p DV is the maximum supported so it already switches between 1080p and 4k.)
    HDR movies playback at 4k HDR10 24p.
    Dolby vision videos playback at 1080p 24p. On exit OS switches back to 2160p 60hz (forced).

3D content ignores the SDR VS10 setting on playback start on playback stop it tries to switch to dolby vision and often breaks the OS.

More information on Bugs
    Stoping 3D playback the Z9-X tries to switch to Dolby vision mode and often crashes the OS. It should ignore VS10 completely and go back to the 2160p 60hz mode.
    If automatic resolution changing is set Dolby vision content doesn't play it tries to change to 4k and fails because of no LLDV support and video is not shown only audio plays.
    Frame-rate changing breaks every so often requiring reset of box. (possibly related ot the exiting 3D playback bug)

20. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Hi, if it is down to the TV EDID then why is VS10 output of Dolby Vision files not LLDV also?