Best setting for HDMI/Resolution/Frame Rate

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by Hady Elneklawy, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Set Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode to "Switch frame rate and resolution"

These are the settings I'd recommend for the Z9S:

Zidoo Z9S
    =========

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode: Switch frame rate and resolution

Display/HDMI Mode: 3840x2160p 23Hz*
    Display/HDR: Auto
    Display/Advanced settings/Deep Color Mode: 10-bit
    Display/Advanced settings/Color Space Mode: YCbCr 444
    Display/Advanced settings/HDMI Range Mode: 16-235**

Audio/HDMI Audio: RAW
    Audio/Downmix HD Audio output: OFF

* I prefer the gui at the same resolution/refresh rate as most of my content

** Personal Preference - Auto works fine too. (This sets 64 - 940 for 10-bit content)

You say you want the display to upscale so does that imply mostly 1080p content? If so, you can set Display/HDMI mode to 1080p as well. As long as auto resolution/framerate is on, the gui doesn't really matter but setting the same as content reduces resyncs.

2. chinkw1

chinkw1 Member

My Zidoo Z9s when display 1080p, it's capable of YUV444, 12 Bits, ITU 709.

But, when display 2160p (4K), it only can do YUV444, 8Bits, ITU 709.

I wonder why?

If it's the limitations of Z9s, can Z9x display 2160p at YUV444, 12 Bits, ITU 709 pls?

3. Markswift2003

The Z9S will output whatever the EDID says it can, so if it's restricting output to 8-bit 444 709 at 4k (I assume you mean 4K23) then that's a restriction in the EDID of the TV.

Yes, the Z9S can output 4K23 YUV444 12-bit Rec.709 but there's no point - content is encoded at 10-bit so all you're doing by going to 12-bit is padding the bitstream and increasing HDMI bandwidth for no good reason.

4. chinkw1

chinkw1 Member

Thanks very much Markswift2003 for in-depth explanation.

My Zidoo Z9s connect to DENON X4000 AVR which connects to Samsung TV.
    So, the EDID restriction is from AVR or Samsung TV pls?

5. Markswift2003

It will be the Denon - it's HDMI 1.4 (I used to use an X2000) so the headline mode for 4K is 444 8-bit and of course no HDR.

It's possible that the Denon will work at 4K23 422 12-bit since that is at HDMI 1.4 bandwidth but to be honest you won't see any difference - the Z9S still processes that internally at 8-bit then pads to 12-bit.

The only issue you'll see on 4K 10-bit content is chroma banding and that very much depends on how that content was mastered - shouldn't be a huge problem with most material.

chinkw1 likes this.
  6. chinkw1

chinkw1 Member

What if I split the z9s hdmi out into 2 (1 go direct to TV, & the other to AVR)?
    This will solve the problem right?

I wonder where can buy a good hdmi splitter?

7. Markswift2003

A standard HDMI splitter will usually only allow the lowest level EDID through, so that would present the AVR EDID and you'd still have the same problem - you'll have to look at something like an HDFury device - maybe the AVR Key, Integral 2 or Vertex depending on budget.

Or a new amp for Xmas ;)

8. chinkw1

chinkw1 Member

I m looking at Marantz SR5014 now, I wonder this is good enough? Or must go SR5015?

I will do a test to connect z9s directly to Samsung TV & see the difference as well.

9. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

i use a hdmi audio extractor myself. my amp is not even hdmi 1.4 and managed to get 4k hdr vid to tv and hd audio to amp. though the quality of these products varies. i was lucky that i found one that works well.

10. chinkw1

chinkw1 Member

Wow, that's excellent bro.

Mind she'd some light on the device u bought? & how to split video/audio pls?

11. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

12. chinkw1

chinkw1 Member

13. Markswift2003

Very good idea - didn't think of that! Certainly the simplest and cheapest solution.

Just did a quick google for "HDMI Audio Extractor" and there are plenty available..

14. chinkw1

chinkw1 Member

If this audio extractor works flawlessly, no need to buy those high end players with 2 hdmi output already.

Excellent.

15. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

yes, 4k 444 10bit hdr no problem. 60hz works too. i dont have dolby vision so dont know that would work or not.
    both truehd and dts hd ma works on hdmi 2 audio. my amp dont support atmos so dont know if that works (i doubt it will). on mine, i think the audio capability is hardwired, the selector doesnt seem to do anything.
    I would certainly ask the seller the questions u asked here, just to be sure.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  16. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

well, what i found is that if i leave my av gear on standby, once in a while, when i turn on my z9s, the video will be distorted (i suspect its a problem w the extractor rather than z9s). then i just need to cut the power to everything and turn them back on. that usually solves the problem. And occasionally, after i pause the video, the audio will be lost. in this case, i just switch to another sound track (say ac-3) then back to the hd track.

so its not 100% flawless but manageable i guess.

actually there are some lower end players w 2nd audio hdmi out on the market these days.

17. ZIDOO2020

ZIDOO2020 New Member

So far i'm using the following hdmi audio extractor without any problem.

ViewHD UHD 18Gbps Audio Extractor Support HDMI v2.0 | HDCP v2.2 | 4K@60Hz | HDR | Dolby Vision | ARC | 3.5MM Analog Audio & SPDIF Toslink Optical Audio Output | HDMI Audio Output | Model: VHD-UHAE2

chinkw1 likes this.
  18. chinkw1

chinkw1 Member

Thank you bro for recommendations.
    Reviews shows that this is a good product. I just ordered 1 from amazon.

I also read about its settings such as 7.1, 5.1 etc...
    Also ARC settings which I m confused.

Can you pls describe briefly on what's the best settings on VHD-UHAE2, so that it can output :
    hdmi 1 - at 4K HDR 444 10bits 23hz, and
    hdmi 2 - with DTS hd ma, truhd, atmos, dtx

Anything else that I should look out for during installation?

Btw my setup:
    Zidoo z9s - DENON X4000 - Samsung UA65NU8000 4K TV

Tq bro.

19. ZIDOO2020

ZIDOO2020 New Member

Well, here you go.

Your Z9s hdmi output should connect to vhd-uhae2 hdmi input.
    Then vhd-uhae2 hdmi 1 should connect to your 4k TV and hdmi 2(audio out) connect to your Denon.
    EDID set to out2. Don't switch on ARC.
    You will get 4k hdr and dts-hdma / truhd /atmos, etc at the same time.
    If you switch on ARC, you will get dolby digital (highest sound output for ARC) or no sound.
    5.1 is for dolby digital and 7.1 is for dolby digital plus.
    Hope it helps.

chinkw1 likes this.
  20. chinkw1

chinkw1 Member

Thank you bro
    Just wondering... If EDID set to out2, means it's using EDID from AVR which is connected to hdmi 2(audio out), will this restrict my Zidoo Z9s to play lower grade video? (BCOZ my AVR is only HDMI 1.4)