Audio - Initial "Downmix to 5.1" function

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Whitfield, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

By stupid coincidence I stumbled on the embedded AC-3 track of TrueHD BD being played back. In audio menu "Play DTS core" was enabled.

Does anybody know if this is with latest firmware? In first days the initial function was descibed as something like "downmix HD to 5.1". Because the device doesn't do downmixing in itself, I think some of us, including myself, agreed it was only to play DTS core in case of DTS-HD. However, I can't remember if I (or any of us) at the time checked on playback of embedded AC-3. Which is significant of course as to whether this came in later.

Anyways, fingers crossed this not being a fluke, this weekend I'll change the name & description for the function at transifex.
    I also noticed that with the function enabled, the TrueHD and DTS-HD tracks themselves do not show up in the audio list during playback. Understandable, but I doubt it to be proper.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes - can't remember which firmware this was introduced in but it's fairly recent.

I'm pretty sure it did previously play the embedded AC3 track (it's not really embedded - it's just an additional associated track, but I know what you mean) but all my devices have recent firmware so I can't be 100% sure..

The TrueHD and DTS-HD soundtracks not showing up is correct since by setting the lower order soundtrack you are making the higher order soundtracks unavailable to the software, presumably for older decoders, so you don't really want to see them.

Whitfield likes this.