Apple Time Machine

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by tibilica, Oct 27, 2017.

1. tibilica

tibilica New Member

Anybody with success to use this as a Time Machine server? Openwrt has this function, I have it enabled, only the drive cannot be seen by Time Machine, even if it is mounted.

2. tupikoff

tupikoff New Member

Same question

3. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

Time machine works only on smbv3 or with AFS sharing. Older smb versions are not supported. Additionally there may be issues if the shared drive is formatted NTFS.

4. Alelino

Alelino New Member

I tried the same, and got the same result.

I also tried to follow the instructions in the OpenWRT forum, but looks like the implementation of Netatalk is different...

Anyone from the lab to provide some support??
    thanks

5. tupikoff

tupikoff New Member

Is someone has working instruction for time machine setting at zidoo?

6. drdwridav

drdwridav New Member

I have same issue. I can see the drive on my Mac, and go into the backup files. But time machine does not see it.

7. slavensiz

slavensiz New Member

Time Machine on a regular router or media player .
    The main functions of Time Machine can perform almost any home router or media player .
    To do this, you need: a router, a media player equipped with a USB port with support for external drives;
    any external drive (the choice depends only on the required amount of disk space).
    First you need to set up a home network, a router, and connect an external drive to it - preferably a hard disk (HDD or SSD). If it is assumed that you need to restore from a disk directly connected to a Mac, you need to format the disk or its partition in HFS +. If there are a number of partitions with another file system on it, it will still work.
    Warning - the drive must be shared for home network via SMB (Windows) or AFP (Mac).
    We will backup our Mac in HFS + format on the same hard disk marked up in HFS + in a router or extender after all the manipulations for this:
    1. Open the disk utility (Disk Utility)
    2. At the top is the menu bar: File => New => Empty Disk Image,
    3. Save As: Calling for example Backup.sparseimage, Location: specify the drive in HFS +
    4. Specify the size of the image, for example 30 GB, Format: Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)
    5. Sections: Single Section-GUID Section Scheme
    6. Image format: Scattered disk image.
    Next you need to use the tmutil utility to tell Time Machine where the backup is located and mount it:
    1. Open Finder
    2. Go to the network disk with the image
    3. Mount image (double click)
    4. Open the terminal and enter the command:
    sudo tmutil setdestination / Volumes / Backup your image name
    It remains only to check the performance. To do this, run in Time Machine backup. Works? Fine.
    Backup.png Backup 2.png

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  8. slavensiz

slavensiz New Member

A question was asked to the representative of ZidoŠ¾: In Openwrt in the NAS Services section there is a Time Server AFP (netatalk) server feature for Apple, it is enabled but not working not only for me, but for others, on any Zidoo X9 firmware. This feature stands for a tick or it will wake up later ?
    answer:Thanks for your inquiry but I am afraid this feature will not be achieved in short time.