Any point in getting Vertex2 besides watching (MEL) DV mkvs?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Peter Neff, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Peter Neff

Peter Neff New Member

I just bought a z9x and was also planning to get the HDFury Vertex2 to stream to my (non-DV) HDR projector, but then after reading posts here more carefully found that the DV/LLDV output of the z9x only works on mkv rips of DV UHDs with a MEL layer. For me, this only amounts to about 15 movies, so now I'm wondering:

Is there any other advantage to getting the Vertex2, which "tricks" the z9x into sending an LLDV signal? For example, would the DS10 engine output to the projector work better with the Vertex2?

And does this enhancement only work for mkv files? My library is mostly full BD rips in ISO format.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It also means you can set the Zidoo to permanent LLDV (that's what I do) which gives a much more satisfactory image for HDR and SDR content than anything I can do with the projector without it and if you set it up right you can virtually eliminate resyncs.

It works for all content since the "trick" is just an EDID tweak fooling the Zidoo into thinking it's connected to an LLDV display.

Most importantly though, the Vertex is the single most useful bit of diagnostic kit I've ever bought - I wouldn't have a setup without one now. It'll be a bit of a learning curve but well worth it.

3. Peter Neff

Peter Neff New Member

Thanks for the helpful reply, Mark. So it sounds like (non-DV) BD and UHD-BD ISOs get the benefits too. Great!

Although the Vertex looks good, I'm now thinking to just go with the cheaper Arcana. Less functionality than the Vertex, but it provides the all important LLDV-to-HDR functionality that I'm most interested in. And less of that learning curve.