Access to HD

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Gerrit V, May 10, 2021.

1. Gerrit V

Gerrit V New Member

I have the Zidoo Z10 Pro. I have a 1TB Harddisk (ntfs) in the internal bay, but I can't access te harddisk. Can anybody tell me how to access the Harddisk?

2. Gerrit V

Gerrit V New Member

Hi, thanks for your reply. There is nothing like portable storage. But I found the SATA cable so I connected the HDD external to the Zidoo. Now I see the HDD under portable storage and I can access the HDD. I hope I can find a way to access the drive when I use it internal. My HDD is a Western Digital 10EURX / AV-GP. (Green Power).

3. Mariusz

Mariusz Active Member

Mabon wrote well. I know it's an expense, but it would be best to buy a new larger drive. A good option may be to purchase an external 3.5 inch drive and remove it from the case. It will be cheaper and the disk fits. On Amazon, you can buy a 4TB drive for around $ 100. I bought 6TB for not much more.

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Which SATA HDD (Internal/External) to get for these players and how to format?
    This must be the question asked most for any media player. My cut&paste answer is generic for all brands and models:
    - If you like absolute silence: Any 2.5 drive using an 2.5 => 3.5 adapter will do also for Internal. A SSD can be used too obviously but is regarded an overkill by me as it offers no substantial additional advantages.
    - Any low speed version 3.5 HDD. Cheaper/slower is better in most cases. Player performance will be identical and less energy => less heat => above all less fan/drive noise!
    - The cheapest is buying an External USB drive even for an Internal HDD by extracting the build-in HDD from that one. That is what I usually do myself.

Formatting with GPT and NTFS using all defaults will do the job. Don't use FAT32 (no big file support) and no exFAT (less robust as not intended for HDD's but for sticks/cards). Make very sure there are no second or hidden partitions on it as Android likes it plain and simple (it does not process these options).
    For Apple and/or Linux PC users a good alternative is EXT4.

What about lifetime/warranty? Using HDD's with a media player the player will be off most of the time and HDD's are stopped when not in actual use. No need for a NAS having HDD's spinning 7x24h! In fact my media player is used as my SMB Server with the only disadvantage that safety copies need to be made manually/automated (no RAID but yes Plug&Play). The cheapest for backups is sharing your entire collection with a good friend!

Mariusz likes this.
  5. Gerrit V

Gerrit V New Member

I now have a 2TB HDD, ntfs/gpt formatted. It works fine via the external SATA cable, also via USB but not in the HDD bay. I really don't know why. What can I do more to make it work internally?

6. Nice Monkey

External SATA and Internal (SATA) is exactly the same for the player. USB is not and formats may not be compatible as it runs via an USB/ATA bridge.

The drive must be formatted GPT/NTFS without additional partitions and SATA attached to the PC (not USB).

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  7. Gerrit V

Gerrit V New Member

Finally, I can use the HDD in the Zidoo Bay. I had to re-intialize and format the HDD.

But now I have another problem, I can't access the drive via my PC. I see, via Network, the Z10 Pro (living room) but can't access the Zidoo. So the search goes on.

Thanks to Mabon, Nice Monkey and Mariusz for helping me.

Mabon and Mariusz like this.
  8. Nice Monkey

You activated the SMB Server on your Zidoo? Access it from the PC with Manual configuration using the IP address.

Mariusz likes this.
  9. Gerrit V

Gerrit V New Member

Nice Monkey, Thank you, I now can access the drive via my pc. :)

Mariusz likes this.
  10. Gurn

Gurn New Member

How do I set up an SMB Network to transfer files from my PC to the internal drives on my Zidoo UHD 5000? Thanks in advance!

11. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

have you switched on Samba in the Zidoo Settings?
    Your PC should then be able to find it under Network (using Windows File Explorer). Mine shows as ZD_SAMBA.