KODI - ZDMC - MATRIX 19.5 - NEXUS 20 - 21

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Franconian

Franconian Active Member

Yes - the only difference is that on a non-rooted device like the Z9X you use HTTP instead of MOUNT on the right side where it says "Method/Methode"

Under "Player" you choose the Google Video Player (version 4.1.1) or Zidoo (version 4.1.3beta2). This way the optimized Zidoo player is taking over. If you let it on SYSTEM, then you will be asked every time in Kodi which player you want to use. You don't need to set anything else, just don't forget to enable it on the power button at the top.

So all I can say is: It works. Not as flawless/smooth as with a rooted device because you use the HTTP workaround method, but it works. I tried to start ~ 10-15 movies yesterday with 4.1.1, including several restarts of the Z9X. Only at one time a large file crashed after the DV change and brought me back to Kodi, when I started the movie again, it worked fine. Can not say if it was an issue with DV activation or with the wrapper. But 4.1.1 seems stable. With 4.1.3beta2 I encountered problems, so I recommend not to try the beta program if you are use a non rooted-device.

2. HDGuy

HDGuy Active Member

It's good to know that at least you can playback files uses Kodi Matrix and use the better indexing features, etc. I wonder how some of the addons like Unpause Jumpback work with this method?

That said I'm still hoping for the full wrapper method for 19.1+ because as I mentioned it's impossible to take advantage of playback some of the amazing video addons without it. And I'm not talking about the illegal ones (which I'm uninterested in), I'm talking about addons for Crackle, Tubi, Amazon Prime, etc, etc.

Considering purchasing the Z9X now.

3. DMD

DMD Member

For playing only multimedia files stored in HDD network connected, any problems?

4. Franconian

Franconian Active Member

You can not benefit from addons that involve the video player itself, because with ZDMC or Kodi + Wrapper App you do not use the internal Kodi player (which is very bad und totaly useless on this box), you use the hardware-optimized Zidoo player. I mean, you buy a Zidoo for the perfect playback and only the internal player can offer this.

My advice to you: Don't focus so much on streaming apps. A Zidoo is made for local/network playback of your files. If streaming apps (or addons in Kodi/ZDMC) are working its nice, but its not the focus of this device. It's not licensed by the streaming providers, some are working but like not in FullHD/4K or only in Stereo. Some may work now, but don't be disapointed if they stop working in a few months. You better buy a Amazon Fire TV stick for ~ 30 bucks and use it as an additional device. I myself wanted a all-in-one solution first to replace my old Zidoo, but exept the Nvidia Shield Pro (which is licensed for streaming and runs Kodi fine) it simply does not exist. On the downside, the Shield struggles a little bit with Dolby Vision and needs tinkering with custom Kodi builds or the integration for additional players in Kodi to run DV fine. All the other players on the market right now are bad.

5. blondvillain

blondvillain New Member

I think the main question to ask yourself when deciding on a Z9X over another Android TV device such as a Shield is this: how important is accurately rendering Dolby Vision from MKV files? Because that's kinda the main selling point with a Z9X, imo. If that's not a very important feature to you, then you'd probably be better off with a cheaper, more Kodi-friendly box like a Shield.

As an added bonus for me, I will probably also be using it for all HDR playback, using the VS10 engine because after doing some testing I've found that my LG B8 OLED TV's Dolby Vision modes are more balanced and accurate in general than the HDR10 modes, achieving better color reproduction and tonemapping when rendered by the VS10 engine.

However I will certainly continue using the TV's native apps for streaming directly from Netflix, Disney+, AppleTV+, etc.

One big drawback that I've noticed with the Z9X is that it doesn't seem to support 10-bit x264 decoding, which is common with a lot of high-quality anime encodes and is also the codec I used for a while for my own encodes of standard TV & movies. I've since discontinued using 10-bit and just use 8-bit now, but I have quite a bit of content in my library that consequently the Z9X simply refuses to play.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  6. HDGuy

HDGuy Active Member

I have had multiple Shields (since 2015)- and Kodi microstutters on it (even with frame rate matching), has for years. I'm using Nova Video Player as my main player on the Shield now with JustPlayer (ExoPlayer based) to play back Dolby Vision files. I have a Vizio PQX 85" as my main TV now and I'd like a better player- I can see the red/green push from the Shield Pro playing DV files. It's annoying, and hard not to notice. I also have a Odroid N2 (S922x) box with Coreelec on it for another TV, Kodi is perfect on it- only thing is of course is no DV support.

I'll probably buy a Z9X now. If you need something to play back that 10bit encoded anime stuff a S922x based CoreElec box decodes it just fine in 1080p even with no hardware acceleration.

7. blondvillain

blondvillain New Member

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. No stuttering with the S922x? The only options I can find are Beelink GT-King boxes, does that sound right?

8. HDGuy

HDGuy Active Member

A Shield won't stutter for 10bit anime playback either, but of course that's more expensive. An Odroid N2+ is probably what you want- it's reliable and very well supported for Coreelec. There are some other S922x based boxes that run it reliably, not sure which and if they're any cheaper.

Check out the Coreelec and Libreelec forums for more info on it. As you say, 10bit encodes for anime isn't used anymore, they're mostly using HEVC these days? I don't know, I mostly just watch my own rips off my own discs so I want the highest quality. Seems kind of pointless to re-encode a H264 based file again just to save some space.

9. blondvillain

blondvillain New Member

For sure, that's where I'm at these days as well. I only encode occasionally now in specific cases for either DVD restoration (from disc) or VEAI upscale/cleanup projects. Otherwise, untouched rips.

10. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

Nvidia Shield is hands down the best device for Anime. with it's AI upscale it makes it look nice and crisp. I use it with Emby, but Plex is also pretty good. I wouldn't use kodi for anime cause well...... it sucks! Emby is the most advanced media library handler on the market IMO. If it only had an Nvidia shield server instead of having to have everything streamed from my laptop.

11. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

dr4go, boxerfan, HDGuy and 6 others like this.
  12. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

Can someone post back here and let us know if the marked as watched feature is fixed? I don't currently have ZDMC installed at all.

MicleCh likes this.
  13. Franconian

Franconian Active Member

Don‘t think this ever worked with ZDMC. But I will let you know later today when I upgrade from 18.9 to 19.1 (clean install).

14. DMD

DMD Member

Good news today
    I assume that with this release it is equal to Kodi 19.1 so can I skin Aeon MQ9?
    Thanks

15. Franconian

Franconian Active Member

Yes, you can use Kodi 19.x addons/skins.

DennisTheMenace and Mariusz like this.
  16. DMD

DMD Member

Thanks
    So the voices were not founded they would no longer update ZDMC in Kodi 19.1

Mariusz likes this.
  17. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I have to admit I'm amazed - didn't see this one coming :eek:

18. Mariusz

Mariusz Active Member

Applause for the Zidoo engineers.
    For the forum administrators, of course, too!

19. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

Nice, finally. Hometheater 4 is good and it is getting better and better but I love the poster and fanart loading speed of kodi.

Mariusz likes this.
  20. HDGuy

HDGuy Active Member

Looks like a Z9X is in my future.

Mariusz likes this.