16TB HDD very slow on Z10Pro

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Kurt, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Kurt

Kurt Member

I tried the HDD connected internally via the SATA port and USB II & III.
    It can take over 10 minutes to copy a 1GB movie file for example (either via network or a USB on the Z10Pro).
    I took the same HDD out of the Z10Pro and connected it to OSX and then it will have a read/write of around 250 MB/s The HDD is about 1/2 full and formatted exFAT

Anyone else seeing this?

2. Kurt

Kurt Member

I partitioned the drive into 2 x 8TB
    Now files are copying over samba at over 50MB/s using the internal SATA port.

3. Peter Cheung

Peter Cheung Member

I experienced that copying speed for Z9X / S is 40mb /s , no matter USB3.0 / 2.0 / SATA / LAN.
    I usually copy file by connecting those HDD as local with my old window notebook computer.
    As I have more than 16 HDD, the drivers letter sometimes overlapped, then I need to go though win command prompt, diskpart, list disk, select disk, list partition, select partition and assign letter in window os.
    If using apple may be we also need to mount & umount through terminal in apple os for the same situation.
    I found that using ntfs is more stable but using exfat enjoy cross platform & a faster starting time with zidoo because ntfs always need to scan while zidoo start and exfat no need.
    exfat is not fully recognized / readable by chips MT8581, so if we are using cross systems with oppo 203/giec 5500 or 5300 then ntfs is better.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  4. Kurt

Kurt Member

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply..
    I used exFAT because I have about 7TB worth of data to put on the HDD before I can put the HDD into the Z10Pro.
    For me, on OSX, data will copy over at 200 MB/s using exFAT, rather than 50MB/s using NTFS.

When I split the HDD into 2 partitions (exFAT), one came out about 7.2 TB and the other 8.8 TB (about).
    The partition that is over 8TB is having the same problems that I originally posted.. it is very slow when trying to copy data to it via SAMBA and also when trying to copy data from within the Z10Pro (by using file manager and a thumb drive for example).

So the problem seems to be that either:
    1. Having a partition (exFAT) over 8TB in size causes very slow speeds
    2. Having a lot of data on the (exFAT) HDD is causing very slow speeds

I did not try this same thing using NTFS because I had so much data to put on the HDD and it was slow copying at 50MB/s

On your NTFS drive do you have an 8TB (or bigger) partition with it being almost full of data?
    If so, are the read/write speeds OK or are they also very slow?

Thanks again,
    Kurt

5. Peter Cheung

Peter Cheung Member

I will say the 40mb/s because of zidoo , not because of any situation of the HDD, my 10T / 8T HDDs no matter over a thousand mkv, over 300 2K BDISO/MV, over 130 4K BDMV/ISO, with or without 16Mb window reserving partition, all enjoying maximum 80-100 mb/s copying speed connected locally with my old window notebook.

6. Kurt

Kurt Member

Yes, Thats what I believe as well... it's a zidoo problem.
    When I take the HDD out of zidoo and connect it to my mac, I have no speed problems at all.

There seems to be an issue with either 8 plus TB size HDD's or partitions, or with large amounts of data (in my case over 7TB)
    I am just trying to figure out exactly where the problem is so I can still use this HDD in the Z10Pro.

So the problem seems to be that either:
    1. Having a partition (exFAT) over 8TB in size causes very slow speeds
    2. Having a lot of data on the (exFAT) HDD is causing very slow speeds

I dont know if changing to NTFS format will be better (it will take a very long time to copy everything over to do the test)
    I think I will try resizing the 8TB exFAT partition to under 8TB first...

7. Peter Cheung

Peter Cheung Member

it us because zidoo do not read Dolby Vision properly therefore I adopt NTFS for those 4K BDMV/ iso with DV and play them with MT8581.
    The copying speed of zidoo only 40mb/s no matter exfat or ntfs.

8. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Never had speed issues transferring from usb port to internal drive albeit an ssd drive
    18gig 4k max time 10 min .

Ssd drive Ntfs

9. Kurt

Kurt Member

Yes, 40MB/s I would be happy with... 1MB/s is ridiculous.. LOL