1000 pro sata capacity

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by greenplanet, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

You’re not lucky…:oops:

How do you connect the HDD to your PC to create a new partition? A dock, internal sata? I would have suggested you to ask a refund and to try WD, but the prices are not as good as they were before the black friday (under 400$ cad for the Red Plus 14TB and the Red Pro 16TB with Newegg.ca).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Connected Internal/External SATA directly to a W10/W11 PC it is not working/found?

The only drives structurally not working under Android are 4Kn drives (having both 4K Logical and 4K Physical sectors). These are not very common. Manufacturers have the very bad habit not specifying this detail clearly. But an Ironwolf PRO is not of this type (=512E type) and should just work fine.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  3. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

what sort of PC are you connecting it to, to partition GPT and then format NTFS?
    Have you tried opening Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management (if a Windows PC)? The drive should show up there as unpartitioned.....

4. greenplanet

greenplanet New Member

I got it guys .My laptop is windows 11 surfacebook 2. There was a problem with first drive . this drive my sata external is a problem . i have to get a new sata but i got it intialized at geek squad. i only have one wd passport which is very slow , i got 5 seagate 4 to 5 tb external drives . the speed is ok . i never had any issue but whenever i check on best buy wd drives they are mostly sold out .seagate always available price is good lot of sales but there is something about wd i dont know why most people want them is it only because they are less noisy or something else. this ironwolf pro i got it for $405 Canadian taxes in.now which external sata do i get? also i want to build a NAS which is expandable 4 to 5 bay . if i can put 16 tb each drive although i dont know if it' s good idea or 8 tb each is better . i leaning towards syno;ogy . something i heard on twit tv that data is being stolen from Qnap. pls give me some tips here thx Temearo,Nice Monkey,Phil181....Thx

5. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

6. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

You can buy an external case for any standard HDD and simply connect via USB 3 (just make sure it is not one limited to 8Tb drives, like some of the cheaper variety). Your local computer store, eBay or amazon all sell them.
    You can then plug your drive into your laptop to initialise and format. This also allows fast copying of files before you plug into your Zidoo.

The alternative is an external USB dock that you simply slide the HDD into and connect to your laptop as an external drive. It can also be used with the Zidoo when required.
    The front access door on the Z1000 Pro makes access to the HDD very easy if you do it this way.

No one can steal data from a NAS if you only give it local network access and no direct internet connections.

I find second hand NAS's to be much better value than buying new, as you don't need super fast speeds, even for 4K high bitrate media playback via Samba.
    Be aware some older Linux systems can be limited by hardware/software to 16Tb RAID size. This can vary between models and firmware. I have a number of 7-bay Thecus and two 6-bay QNAP NAS' (mainly with 3 and 4Tb HDD's in RAID 5) and the Z1000 Pro plays content from all of them.
    I did recently buy a new well priced QNAP TR-004 to house (initially 2, now 3) different size second hand HDD's (2x8Tb and a 16Tb) and it connects via USB 3. Mine are seen as separate drives, rather than being in RAID (which is available).

I have had a WD Cloud Home fail completely (it had a 8Tb WD Red inside) and lost everything, so that is why important stuff is in RAID. RAID 5 allows a single drive to fail, keeping all info intact, and then be replaced and re-built. The small risk is if a second drive fails at the same time or whilst re-building the array. Not ideal for important business data, but usually fine for home media (and you only lose the capacity of one drive in the NAS for safety/redundancy when one fails).