Issue (micro-pause or freeze) with BR rips with multi-part m2ts files

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1296)' started by xliv, Aug 15, 2019.

1. xliv

xliv Member

Hi,
    I've noticed that for some BR Rips, there is a micro-pause every now and then. Sometimes instead of micro-pausing, it freezes the playback until I do a FFWD, and then continues normally.

It seems linked to those Blu-Ray disks where the movie is not stored in a single big m2ts file, but in a bunch of smaller ones. The micro-pause (or the freeze) always happen when switching from one m2ts to the other.

This happens in both play modes - with or without menus.

So far, noticed that on Sucker Punch (for ex, it always freezes at 1:11:42), and on Iron Man 2 - both have their movie split into many m2ts.

For Sucker Punch, by the way, the other issue is that when playing video without menu, it will start the commented version of the movie.

Anybody noticed that?

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

This is the ordinary seamless branching problem, which is well known and documented on this site. Solution: Just make a single MKV from the multiple m2ts files.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  3. xliv

xliv Member

Hi - thanks. Sorry if I did not search for an existing post about that.
    All right, I indeed found a number of reports of this problem, here and on competing platforms.
    Any clue as to when or if this would be solved one day?

4. Nice Monkey

Good question with no answer. The problem is open since several years (waiting for a Realtek SDK fix?) and I am a bit pessimistic here! There was a partial fix which even got removed on the latest FW.

Buying an additional cheap brand player without this problem is the only working solution I can guarantee. Reading the sources you found you can read which these are.

5. xliv

xliv Member

Well, I just bought the Z1000, and this is not (yet) a reason to switch...
    I also started to build a list of BR rips that have menu issues. I'm testing all of the ones I have.

Would it make sense to start a thread (or 2) to maintain a list of movies that have the seamless branching, and of movies that have menu issues? Might help Zidoo team finding the information more easily, and might also help users to know which movies they should concatenate in MKV, if this is the only workaround until there is a real fix.

6. Nice Monkey

Having a list and reporting is never bad!

Indeed a very nice player even with these shortcomings. Both problems are already well known to Zidoo. Was not a suggestion to switch but one may get a second (cheap) unit to do the things one occasionally wants (this is how my setups looks like).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  7. xliv

xliv Member

I'll draft a first list based on my own testing + the things I've seen in the forum, highlighting both issues with menus, and seamless branching problem.

8. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

as Nice Monkey, I am very pessimistic.

I just tried finding nemo bdmv uhd and it freezes around 4 minutes 40 when i use the BD menu.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  9. xliv

xliv Member

I'm in the process of identifying all BR having this issue.
    And for all of them, I'm extracting the main track as an mkv (using BDinfo to identify it and then mkvmerge to extract it as an mkv.
    I keep the ISO, I'll restore it when this will be fixed (if it is one day...).

This actually happening:
    • For movies that have more than version (extended, director's cut, etc.), because some scenes will exist in several versions
    • For movies which title is different depending on countries, and is displayed at the beginning or at the end
    • For cartoons that contain translatable text in some scenes (those parts will exist in several versions)
    As a result it happens a lot more for cartoons than for movies, as Pixar for example translates the text in images almost systematically.

10. Nice Monkey

All these have in common that they use multiple M2TS files and the player needs to do seamless branching from file to file during playback.
    Easy to check as any BD with many smaller M2TS files instead of a single huge file for the total main movie will have a seamless branching challenge.

I already found that condition to be present with Pixar cartoons obviously but never knew the reason behind it. Thanks for explaining that here too. Added it to the original post about this problem.
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...ss-branching-a-serious-problem-with-uhd.7428/
    For me this is currently the number-1 problem on Zidoo players as the number of new releases requiring seamless branching keeps increasing. Also because many don't understand what is actually happening here and think it is caused by other things.

11. OlivierQC

hello,

i just saw this on disney site,

these movies have freeze problems like on zidoo devices

the problem may not come from Zidoo

https://www.disneystudioshelp.com/detail_BDREFRESHFIX__BDDVDHelp.html

I’m experiencing problems playing my Coco, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Thor: Ragnarok and/or Black Panther Blu-ray discs in my Blu-ray player. What should I do?

If you’re experiencing problems playing Coco, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Thor: Ragnarok and/or Black Panther Blu-ray discs in your Blu-ray player, you may want to adjust the refresh rate output of your Blu-ray player via the “Settings” or “Setup” menu of your Blu-ray player. For example:

1. On the “Home” menu of your player, select the “Setup” menu.

2. Navigate to and select the “Screen Settings” option.

3. On this screen, you will see an option for “BD-ROM 24P Output”. Change this setting from the current selection to “Off”.

4. Re-insert your Blu-ray disc into your player and play the disc.

Please note that the specific steps outlined above may vary by Blu-ray player, so you may need to consult your Blu-ray player’s product manual or contact your Blu-ray player’s manufacturer for further information.

------------------------------

on avsforum or avforum i do not remember, people have problems with the new star wars uhd (disc version) they also have freeze.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  12. Nice Monkey

Haha, you think only media players have problems with seamless branching? Have seen this on numerous BD players and before that even with DVD players not jumping seamless from layer-0 to layer-1 with DVD9 mainly. The problem is old as Methusalem.
    Freezes is another problem with most likely a different/related cause. Cinavia and playlist obfuscation images add to the potential problems even when removed as these use multiple M2TS files too.

They play correctly on most modern UHD/BD players and on some media players too. HiSilicon based media players do it just fine but Realtek based players don't. Let's see what the new Dune Realtek RTD1395/RTD1619 based players can do with these movies. That will be the reference for Zidoo to achieve next.

Nothing about this in the changelog for UHD2000 latest FW. Giving up to solve it on the old players? It was the first item I looked for.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  13. OlivierQC

OK, too bad :(