[Solved with 2.2.96]2.2.82 usb 3 issue

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by adwin, Jul 21, 2019.

1. adwin

adwin New Member

Hello,

Does anyone experience external harddisk suddenly and randomly not detected while playing mkv files if connected to USB 3.0 port? And the only way to get the harddisk detected again is restarting the zidoo.

This problem does not occur if I connect the harddisk to the USB 2.0 port.

Before upgrading the firmware to 2.2.82, I never have problem like this and I'm pretty sure the problem is not the harddisk (I have 3 harddisk, different brand and no more than 6 months old, the problem is consistent, random disconnected and not detected on USB 3.0 port and no problem on USB 2.0 port).

freedomalway likes this.
  2. rondi7

rondi7 New Member

There are lots of problems with USB3 ports on SBC (small board computers). They randomly disconnect, can't handle even light loads, do NOT work at all with WiFi sticks & some keyboards. USB2 does not suffer any of these problems. Some think voltage drop or spikes is the problem others think it is the USB hub--It also could be the pcb layout. AND some folks have no problems whatever they do. HardKernel Odroid N2 is one SBC who is plagued with this problem. It all boils down to rushing to get to market and not thoroughly testing the boards.

freedomalway likes this.
  3. woody

woody Member

This could be a hardware problem.
    I have 4 HDD connected on all 4 USB ports since I bought Z9S few months back. 3 HDD have USB 3.0 connections ( 2 USB 3.0 port + 1 USB 2.0 port on Zidoo Z9S)

Only different issue I faced was that only one (of two identical HDD) was being randomly detected on each boot. I tracked it down to OpenWRT bug. Two NTFS formatted identical HDD causes issues. Only one get mounted at a time as both gets same UUID assigned. The resolution was to format one of those HDD as exFAT.

Otherwise I have never faced any issues of USB drives not getting mounted.

I would suggest to do some research on OpenWRT side of things on Zidoo Z9S. It can be accessed on LAN via browser by local IP address. Then check all drives on /dev/* and /mnt/* etc are set to auto mount at boot.

4. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

interesting. bcos of how my z9s is located, it is more convenient to use the usb 2 port for me and i rarely had problems. on my sony tv which runs on andriod, i had suffered intermittent disconnection problems on the usb 3 port too but not on the usb 2 port so probably it is more an os bug

5. x9suser

x9suser Member

Unlikely to be os bug. This USB 3 problem has been in existence since the very first FW. It it's still not solved till today, it's unlikely to be solved. More likely the hardware can't supply consistent enough power to the USB 3 ports.

6. adwin

adwin New Member

Thank you for all the explanation. I also suspect the problem is more than just a firmware. I just curious this problem does not occur on firmware 2.1.40 beta. But as x9user said, the problem is existence since the first FW, maybe i just lucky with 2.1.40 beta.

I think I will stay on USB 2 port. Thank you.

7. wilsonganks

wilsonganks Member

So everyone is already on the new firmware other than me? :(

8. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

It is a good FW update. Installing it is recommended for sure.
    Far less instabilities, some fixes and a few nice new things. Instabilities are not gone totally. Seen 1 thus far next to USB3 reported here requiring a boot to get audio output going again.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  9. wilsonganks

wilsonganks Member

Is It? I shall try it tonight.

10. Schumy

Schumy Member

After installing this FW, the HDD connected to USB3.0 port of my ASUS router as mkv file source for z9s via LAN got disconnected a few times, which has never happened before.

11. Nice Monkey

Added it to the FW 2.2.82 findings as the second problem introduced with this FW specifically:
    /http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/announcement-for-2-2-82.49272/ Reply #15
    I hope they release a correction FW for those soon?

12. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

checking.

13. mirror

We can't reproduce it. can anybody can provide us with a Log file?
    Install the follow apk. Plug in a USB stick. press "start all"--reproduce the issue-- "stop all". It will be create log files in USB stick.
    Then upload the log files in this thread.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

14. Summer Wind

Summer Wind New Member

mirror
    2.2.82. Have 2 HDD - WD My Book 8TB and Seagate Expansion Desktop 8TB via USB 3.0. After 15-20 min playing video from one of this disk - picture freezing, hdd unmount, and my zidoo just stuck. Only hard reboot.
    No problem if i use USB 2.0.
    USB 3.0 absolutely unstable. Impossible to use.
    2.1.30 is the last "stable" firmware for using USB 3.0 disk via USB 3.0 ports. But even with this firmware, sometime i seen randomly disconecting my hdd.
    Zero problem with USB 2.0 in all firmware. Problem only with USB 3.0.

15. Nice Monkey

@Summer Wind
    Please install the mentioned tool and publish the log.

16. mirror

Any update?

17. Nice Monkey

Will move my HDD to USB3 (now via SATA) and see what happens?

18. Lony

Lony Active Member

Sure,

Enclosed the DumpFile of a user from our forum.
    Please take care of this problem, I have in my forum more users who have problems again and again on the USB ports. More dump files will follow as soon as I have this. In our forum there is already a big thread on the topic.

Thanks Lony

Attached Files:

19. Lony

Lony Active Member

@mirror

here another Dumb from a User with Z9s and Firmware 2.2.82

Please check it out and give feedback.

Thanks Lony

Attached Files:

20. Lony

Lony Active Member

@mirror

Here's the next dumb. This is now from my Z9s with firmware 2.2.82. Hard drive is no longer detected on USB3 while the movie was playing.
    So far I could not believe what I was told, but now I have it myself. That's not a small problem, I recommend the Zidoo as it really gets started. With firmware 2.1.30, these problems do not seem to exist.

Thanks Lony

Attached Files:

freedomalway likes this.