X9S Picture Quality

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by mohamed75, Jul 14, 2019.

1. mohamed75

mohamed75 New Member

Hello, what are the proper settings to get sharp, correct colors in zidoo?
    I have tried almost every possible combination but picture is still blur and washed out.
    Thanks in advance.

2. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Hi! What kind of content are you trying to watch? (resolution? SDR? HDR?) And what kind of display are you using? (resolution? SDR? HDR?)

mohamed75 likes this.
  3. mohamed75

mohamed75 New Member

Content : 72op, 1080p, 2160p, 10 bit hdr, remux
    resolustion i tried auto, 2160p@23, 2160p@60, 1080p@23, 1080p@60
    tv samsung 4k
    hdmi cable i tried the one shipped with zidoo and secur0max
    regards

4. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Does your Samsung 4K TV support HDR? I will assume it does and the first thing you need to check is that the TV is getting the HDMI signal from the source as "limited range" (I think Samsung calls this "HDMI Black Level" and you need to set it on "limited" or "low", NOT "Full" )....on a Samsung TV the easiest way to be sure of this is to "force" the source as a "Blu-ray player". Then for HDR content / source you also need to check you are connected to one of the HDMI inputs that accepts full bandwidth HDMI (18 Gbps) and that the UHD Mode is enabled (I don't remember where the setting is on the Samsung TVs...read your manual).

Once you've checked the TV is correctly set, you can move to the Zidoo "Quick Settings":
    1. Playback - Automatic Frame Rate - Framerate Mode: Switch Frame Rate only (this means the Zidoo will take care of the correct frame-rate of your content - automatically change to 23,976fps, 24 fps, 50fps or 60fps... you will notice a blank screen each time you launch a content and that's normal!)
    2. Playback - Stream player: Native Player
    3. Display - HDMI Mode: enable 3840x2160p 60Hz + Lock resolution (this means that the Zidoo will always take care of the upscaling...which I suggest)
    4: Display - HDR: enable HDR
    5. Advanced settings: Deep Color Mode 10 bit - Color Space Mode AUTO - HDMI Range Mode 16-235

These setting work perfectly and are absolutely correct if you have a 4K HDR TV and use the native Zidoo Player (via Home Theater 2.0 App) with FW 2.1.25

Good luck! ;)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    dr4go and mohamed75 like this.
  5. mohamed75

mohamed75 New Member

Thanks, I have tried your settings still video quality is very poor,blur and lacks alot of detailes comparing even with cheaper products with the cheap Hi3798MV200 Cpu.

6. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Video quality very poor?? Blur and lack of alot of details?? I'm quite sure you're still setting things wrong... But if you even add that it looks worse than a HiSilicon media-player (I also have an Egreat A5), then I'm absolutely sure you're doing things wrong. I have NO blur, NO lack of details and in HDR the tone-mapping gamma output is way better with the Zidoo and its Realtek SoC!

mohamed75 likes this.
  7. mohamed75

mohamed75 New Member

I did exactly as you said, the big problem is that whatever I change in zidoo settings nothing change in video quality and all videos are identical. The only change happens when I set hdmi range to full image become darker and when I set frame rate change to off or change frame rate only so that zidoo will do the upscaling image become worse.

8. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Frame-rate has nothing to do with upscaling!! So I really don't understand how you can notice upscaling image becoming worse when you change the frame-rate settings.... I also don't understand how you can't notice differences when you change Color Mode and Color Space in the Advanced Settings...with 4K HDR content, things change quite alot and become worse (manly banding and solarization) if you use different settings from the ones I suggested....I'm afraid you're a bit confused and don't really understand what you're doing and setting (on both Zidoo and probably your TV set).

mohamed75 likes this.
  9. Stefano C

Stefano C Member

Hi, can I ask you if the same settings are good for my tv?
    I have a LG TV, LE8800...is a full hd tv produced in 2010..

10. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Ciao Stefano, NO! Because you don't have 4K and HDR. In your case you still have to check that the HDMI input (HDMI Black Level) on your TV is set to "limited" or "low"....this is because ALL video contents are encoded from 16 to 235 levels (8 bit) or 64-940 levels (10 bit) and not from 0 to 255 levels or 0-1023 levels (which is for RGB PC signals - HDMI full range).

Once you've checked the TV is correctly set, you can move to the Zidoo "Quick Settings":
    1. Playback - Automatic Frame Rate - Framerate Mode: Switch Frame Rate only (this means the Zidoo will take care of the correct frame-rate of your content - automatically change to 23,976fps, 24 fps, 50fps or 60fps... you will notice a blank screen each time you launch a content and that's normal!)
    2. Playback - Stream player: Native Player
    3. Display - HDMI Mode: enable AUTO or 1920x1080p 60Hz
    4: Display - HDR: disable HDR
    5. Advanced settings: Deep Color Mode AUTO or 8 bit - Color Space Mode AUTO - HDMI Range Mode 16-235

I suggest you watch content only in SDR and with resolution up to 1080p (as Blu-ray, for example)... Unfortunately the Zidoo HDR to SDR conversion algorithm is quite shitty in terms of tone-mapping curve compression (to be able to watch HDR contents with an SDR TV like yours).

Buona visione! ;)

dr4go likes this.
  11. Stefano C

Stefano C Member

ok thank you very much, I have just a question: why just switch frame rate and not frame rate+resolution? The answer is that if I switch both I will not have the upscaling of the contents?

12. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Exactly! If you prefer to have the upscaling done by your TV or by an external better processor, then you should select "Switch frame rate + resolution"

13. Stefano C

Stefano C Member

There is a way I can find the best upscaling tv vs zidoo or I have to try and understand what I do like more?

14. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Your eyes! :)

15. Stefano C

Stefano C Member

ok perfect, thank you very much

16. mohamed75

mohamed75 New Member

I feel something wrong with my tv, it is samsung nu71oo 4k , i tried playing with tv settings but i either get very dark, perfect black and others colors are messed or i got washed out colors but still balanced
    how can i do the best settings in my tv?

17. XtrordinarY

XtrordinarY New Member

Well first what I always do with a new tv is turn of all enhancers like extra sharpness, super black and motion enhancers etcetera, turn it all off. When I look to the manual of your tv I see you can turn on HDMI UHD Color somewhere, I think this is necessary to turn on for UHD content on the HDMI port the Zidoo is connected to. Make sure that eco mode or something similar is turned off.

Furthermore check these settings of RTINGS. Usually they have pretty good settings for. mind that these are settings for near real colors, as you see the colors in real world. If you like more 'pop' or vivid colors then these settings aren't for you. But they are a great starting point especially the info for turning of all enhancers.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu7100/settings

videobruce and mohamed75 like this.
  18. videobruce

videobruce Member

mohamed75;
    You don't have to use the quote function when you are responding to the previous post just above yours, doing do just clutters the thread. ;)

19. videobruce

videobruce Member

IOW's turn all the idiot settings off which usually don't work anyways!

20. Tony77

Tony77 Member

The only reason I can think u may still experience problems is that these settings are usually INPUT/SOURCE dependent. (As they should) Meaning each HDMI INPUT may store separate settings for each DEVICE. so check this. AND on Samsung tv's the UHD & HDR settings sometimes have to be set or enabled for each HDMI INPUT, & they put these settings in WEIRD places (like NOT in picture settings:mad:)!

good luck.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    mohamed75 likes this.