Some BD won't open the BD menu/navigation

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by xtripsnova, Apr 2, 2019.

1. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I have exactly the same issue with this exact disc. Never been able to get this to play through several firmwares. Just get spinning circle. Nothing will bring up menu. I've tried clicking next, bringing up menu, changing region. Plays perfectly on my Dune HD Pro 4K.

2. ton_dahlia

ton_dahlia Member

I'm a x9s user , so glad to see this topic and see that the issue about BD menu playback still have problem same as x9s (especially for Dolby Atmos Demo disc that cannot play BD Menu since X9S) , it's make me to decide easier for not buying z9s

3. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Glad to see you are happy the Z9S has issues!

The BD menu problem is not a major stumbling block as most BD are OK - if a little clunky sometimes. I have two with issues the one mentioned in this thread and Aliens disk that has the theatrical and DC version of the film. On previous firmware's I could occasionally get to main menu and choice of version to play but with the new firmware I get the spinning circle for a few minutes, then the studio logo - then nothing. Pressing menu button just replays the logo.

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

@blenky A more recent example? The 2019 40th anniversary edition of Alien in UHD. Also that disc has both the Theatrical Cut and the Directors Cut processing the BD Menu is essential for a correct playback. If you get the menu for the version selection after several tries it will mix up video and audio/subtitles for DC. No good neither.

Did a quick try with Egreat A10 and that worked just fine (bedroom but no 4K TV there). So it is not my copy for sure (1:1).

Will add other examples when I see those. Mostly the problem seems to be with BD's having multiple titles on them. Unfortunately that is exactly when you need them. Added this finding to my review too.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    gymnos likes this.
  5. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Yes I had UHD Alien and exactly the same problems. I got the choice of version but then navigation was impossible. I was trying to see how it handled the seamless branching on that disk but could not navigate to the seams as when I tried to move forward or back it would throw up an error. Gave up and remuxed the theatrical version to MKV.

6. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Mostly one can still play these discs by choosing direct play skipping the menu. One will then get likely playing a special version like the DC as these titles typically have the longest playtime. Alien is an exception as the TC is slightly longer but it follows the rule as it plays just fine. You next probably still get the seamless branching problem to deal with as both go typically together with such discs.

Added this also to my review as others will run into this also sooner or later.

Also watched the total movie (TC as that is the default) and to my surprise did not observe any seamless branching problems. Played smooth as can be. Quality improvement with UHD is marginal in my perception.

Tried my reference movie again (Avatar): It had 3 instances of an image freeze/strobe the sound went on and the picture next played accelerated to catch up the sound. So seamless branching is not solved totally yet, but not a big problem anymore.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  7. Miguel Ramos

Miguel Ramos Active Member

I'm having exactly the same problem since I've made a simple factory reset. No solution, so far, whatever from zidoo or forums.

8. Miguel Ramos

Miguel Ramos Active Member

GOOD NEWS GUYS!

After doing emergency update procedure for the 5th time the BD Menu finally worked! So my advice is insisting on the flashing the Zidoo box until everything works. Apparently a onetime procedure might not solve issues at a first! I thank all members that support me with suggestions.