New X9S owner - few issues

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by mhendu, Mar 23, 2019.

1. mhendu

mhendu New Member

Just started testing out the X9S today and overall fairly pleased. Just a few things to call out that I've noticed so far, in order of importance.

1. Subtitles are on for all videos by default. I can set them to be off by default, but cannot find a setting that mimics the behavior in most standard media player software (i.e., show subtitles set as default and/or forced, but otherwise do not show subtitles unless requested)

2. Video streams in ZDMC play using the internal player and not the X9S default player. The internal player seems to be a bit buggy and even on a 720p stream I ran into issues getting it to play properly (when the same stream played just fine through my Android TV). Would be helpful to be able to set ZDMC to play streams thru the X9S player instead of the ZDMC internal player

3. I'm sharing my Kodia media library using MySQL. Was able to configure this fairly quickly in ZDMC by using the Backup plugin but the X9S player does not receive from or return to ZDMC the playback position of the media, so if I have a movie that's in progress in my database and want to start watching from, say, 30 minutes in, I have to manually navigate to that point instead of having the player resume the way it should, and if I stop a movie that I'm watching in ZDMC and want to continue it on another device there's no easy way for me to do that

4. The unit came without ZDMC installed - I had to download from the site and install it. A minor inconvenience but a little confusing

5. The weather app on the home page seems to be broken - I can't switch it to my city or change it from Celsius to Fahrenheit

2. looun

looun Member

2) ZDMC use realtek player(X9S default player) like home theater 2.0, flag external player on ZDMC

3) kodi/zdmc non support external player

5) search your city and down in the app threre is F°/C° switch

3. mhendu

mhendu New Member

Thanks for the reply.

2) Is there a way to switch ZDMC to use the external player for Internet streams? If so, where do I find this setting? I do have ZDMC set to use the external player but it still plays any Internet streams using the internal player.

3) Not sure what this means. ZDMC uses the external player but ZDMC doesn't pass through or receive from the external player the file position, so this is not saved in the database, and won't be synced between devices. Would be helpful if the player could send/receive this info with ZDMC to operate consistent with how the internal player works, and allow for syncing playback position across devices

5) Tried that but the search functionality appears to be broken. When I type in a city name and hit the search button nothing happens

4. looun

looun Member

2) zdmc setting -> player setting-> "play video with external player" , default si ON
    3) kodi not support external player(kodi team don't like): watch status is NOT support you must set it flag with menu button "mark as watched". File position is NOT support you must buy a KODI box/device compatible.
    5) search the city with english name.

ZDMC is a "extra" jukebox , zidoo Home theater 2.0 work much better with x9s and in some case is better than kodi.

If you want "true" kodi player you must buy other device.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  5. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

Your watch progress will not be synced when using the external player. I’m not sure if external player supports internet streams. If you’re looking for a proper kodi box (and don’t need 3D) I’d recommend returning the x9s and going with something like the Vero 4K+.

6. videobruce

videobruce Member

What's so special about this Vero??

7. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

It runs kodi/osmc native and has active development and reliable playback.

8. videobruce

videobruce Member

That 'toy' box they are selling is another dime-a-dozen "TV Box" no matter how good it's suppose to be. Same goes for that ridiculous remote, copied from that over rated FireTV line of crap.

9. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

It’s actually a very capable streaming box. It runs Linux and boots directly into osmc. Its highly recommended by a lot of Kodi developers. Unlike Zidoo the developer interacts directly with his customers via the forums.

I own both the vero and the Zidoo. Right now I’ve moved my Zidoo to second fiddle on my older 3DTV and have the vero running on my LG OLED. Picture quality is great and watch status is synced between the vero and infuse on my iOS devices using the plex library plugin for osmc.

10. videobruce

videobruce Member

I'm sure all of your 1st sentence is true, BUT; my point was the size or lack of for the enclosure.

Why do the Chinese think small is better? It's not a portable device. There is no contest to see how small they can make these. Miniaturization of components is immaterial.
    You still need an external power supply,
    there is no room for an internal HDD if you don't have, don't want, or don't need external storage.,
    No display,
    no on board function buttons (not even power).
    Lack of room for additional ports, no external, aka removable antenna connections.

Design wise, that gets a "F", just like the hundred (or so it seems) other 'toy' TV boxes of the same size.

11. videobruce

videobruce Member

At least with the "9" model there is an external SATA w/power connector. No PS needed for a HDD. ;)

12. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

It’s actually designed and supported by a team in the UK. It’s a streaming box much like the Apple TV. As a personal preference on-board storage on a media player is stupid. Single drive means single point of failure. dual drive NAS boxes are cheap and mesh wifi AC access points are cheap.

The box is capable that’s why I’m rd I’m mending it for people who want a proper kodi/osmc experience. I’ve had zero issues with it.