Can't connect my Mac via SMB

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by 353599, Jan 16, 2017.

1. 353599

353599 New Member

the explorer (media centre)can't connect my Mac via SMB,but work fine with my pc.
    when I try to connect my Mac, x9s always pop up wrong username and wrong password ,but the password work fine on my ipad.
    I try many times, but din't success.

Is this a bug or something else? thx

2. spring

spring Guest

Hi
    because the MAC use the different smb mechanism.
    you can install the smb2 in your MAC.

3. juok

juok New Member

4. juok

juok New Member

5. VonMagnum

VonMagnum Member

So Zidoo only supports the ancient SMB1? The Mac supports SMB3. Windows10 has even abandoned SMB1 due to security risks. It's ridiculous this POS can't just access my SMB shares. KODI has been able to do it for over three years now.

So I can't access the internal drive to edit KODI's files (KODI does support SMB3, but doesn't appear to do frame rate changes running on Zidoo, at least not the official version).

And I can't use ZDMC with my Mac's server because it cannot farking read SMB3 shares ("can't connect").

Lovely device.

6. juok

juok New Member

Everything is working fine now

7. VonMagnum

VonMagnum Member

NOT HERE.... That's my point.

SMB2 is dead and has been for years. SMB1 is ancient.

I got NFS working, but while their local setup will load NFS, their external player that works with their version of KODI will NOT load the files off the NFS addresses KODI generates (just quits, which is what it does for the KODI SMB3 connections. I assumed that was due to the external player unable to use SMB3, but given it CAN use NFS and won't load KODI's NFS addresses, I suspect there's something else going on now).

Regular KODI can play off SMB or NFS, but it cannot change the frame rate on "true KODI" and the Zidoo version gets the frame rates wrong (23.98 plays as 24fps) using the internal player while the external player won't load it at all. Their own interface (the wall of titles theater listing thing) will work with NFS, but it's kind of messy for over 1000 titles. The KODI interface makes it easier to find things.

8. dorszes

dorszes Member

Had this same issue.

Finally since I switched to app called commander one i can connect with x9s without any issues !

9. VonMagnum

VonMagnum Member

I have Commander One, but I don't see any specific way to connect to the X9S. I see FTP options for connections and that's about it. How exactly did you connect to it that you could get to the primary drive?

10. dorszes

dorszes Member

Right.

if u want to see your x9s (shared files) with commander one first of all what You need to do is:

Connect the x9s to your network.

Go to network settings on Your mac. If You see zidoo there that's a half of success.

Then go to commander one, and on the top of the main bar you should see your device.

Did u configure the smb?

There is another way, DLNA can let u explore of all your files by local network.

Sorry of the delay... was off shore for couple of days.

11. Nicholas Degenhart

Nicholas Degenhart New Member

Yeah it is a crapshoot trying to make it work with my mac. I don't have a great setup so far...any help would be appreciated.

Like @VonMagnum said. I can get NFS working through HT2 but not through their KODI fork (ZDMC).
    The way I got NFS working on a Mac was to install "NFS Manager" on Mac OS X 10.14. I could then choose folders to share vis NFS.

The current issue I am having is playing 4K video / HD audio through the NFS connection. It will lag/buffer/stutter quite a bit on higher bitrate videos. I have the newest WiFi hardware and purchased a Ethernet over Power adapter (gigabit) but it hasn't provided smooth playback. I can take the same choppy video and stick it on a USB 3 External HD and play it from the Z10 directly just fine. So it is the connection.

Does anyone know if there is another way (i.e. smb) to get access to the HD on my mac? Would SMB 1 or 2 be fast enough? The ads for the Z10 says it supports SMB2 protocol.

12. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

I had similar problems and ended up install the plex Kodi addon and connecting that way.

13. Nicholas Degenhart

I do not want to use Plex or KODI...that is why I bought the Z10. To have a large archive of movies that I can stream to the Zidoo and play in full quality (Audio & Video). From everything I have read, the only solution that provides the best picture/audio/framerate is to use the internal player (Poster wall or Media Center).

I had a ShieldTV with Plex but wanted something "easier" and more robust...installing KODI...then a plex add-on....just not what I envisioned when I bought this product...

14. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

It still uses the internal player and just uses plex for all the back end confections (I installed the plugin using zdmc).

I haven’t tried it but does the home theatre app support scp/ssh/sftp connections?

15. Nicholas Degenhart

@SaskMedia - Thank for the quick response and additional info. I have read that KODI can't get the frame-rate correct through the Zidoo. I have also ready contradicting things about HD audio (Plex vs. kodi vs. zidoo player). I was just trying to make it as simple as possible...

So...you are saying if I install: KODI + Plex app I will be able to watch everything THROUGH the KODI app (playing with the internal zidoo player) in full 4K UHD + HD Audio? That is my biggest downfall at the moment...nothing over the network will play correctly if it is a 4K UHD stream.

I have a NFS share (through the NFS Manager program on my mac) and that is fast enough for 1080p streams. Again, not ideal that I had to install a UNIX protocol to get my mac and zidoo to see each other...

I have not tried to connect through scp/ssh/sftp...I am not that tech savvy to troubleshoot that in-depth...again, I have dealt with a plethora of boxes (All versions of AppleTV, ShieldTV, Fire, Etc.) and they all just "work". Not supporting SMB3 and other current network protocols is baffling to me.

Side note: I can only achieve 10MB/s when transferring videos to the internal drive on the Z10 over my network...I don't know where the bottleneck is in this situation but it took me 6+ hours to transfer 4 or 5 UHD episodes of Westworld to the internal disk so that I could watch it without stutter/lag/jitters...Again...cumbersome to deal with...hoping I can figure out a better "plug and play" setup as I am going through a bunch of different setups/options.

16. JohnS

JohnS Member

Have you tried enabling smb from Openwrt menu? In my x9s I didn’t have any issues with older firmware I don’t know about the newer one. I recently bought a Synology Nas and never bothered again.

17. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

To answer your question you use ZDMC and then install the addon PlexKodiConnect. What this does is replaces your local library with one stored on a plex server running on your Mac (so you can synchronize watch history with other devices/apps like Infuse for iOS). I don’t have the Zidoo in front of me but I believe you have the option of Specifying a direct path for your video files using either SMB/nfs/FTP or ssh/scp (ssh is a secure terminal protocol you can use to remotely access nix and Mac devices. It uses your machines admin account but it can also be used as a fast way to access files).

I have this setup running at home with a synology NAS hosting plex and then have my Zidoo, two Apple TV, and two iPhones connecting to the same synchronized library.

18. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

For your issues playing back 4K I have everything hardwired to Ethernet. At a minimum your Mac should be connected to Ethernet and not wireless. There isn’t enough bandwidth available to stream 4K from one wireless device to another.

19. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

For your issues playing back 4K I have everything hardwired to Ethernet. At a minimum your Mac should be connected to Ethernet and not wireless. There isn’t enough bandwidth available to stream 4K from one wireless device to another.