New firmware v2.1.40 beta version for ZIDOO Z9S release

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by mirror, Jan 24, 2019.

1. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

I am connecting via an audio extractor. the blank screen almost always appears twice then ok. seems to me possibly some re-sync/handshake might have caused it.

2. wk11739

wk11739 New Member

Hi,

I also recently purchased a Zidoo Z9S and have been having random playback issues. I have noticed the screen go black at first when auto frame rate is on but off it seems ok.

I am also definitely experiencing playback stutter/repeated frames on some files at 23.976 fps. Changing the frame rate does not seem to resolve it. I did notice green screen briefly appear when switching to 23.976 output.

3. Dan

Dan Member

When watching a 4k Mkv on Z9s I noticed white spots in the picture, swapped the cables over to X9s and played the same scene and no white spots.

Has anyone else noticed this?

4. PSP

PSP New Member

After approx. 15 mins playing a movie from my seagate pocket usb drive it stops (picture freeze) and the message „harddisc disconnected“ appears. Only stop and restart helps to continue (sometimes). Or „bluray navigation app failure“ appears and the player reboots.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  5. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

I’m thinking the Z9S had a weaker HDMI out for whatever reason hence the resyncs

gymnos likes this.
  6. Zigourney

Zigourney Active Member

I have no issues on the X9S and I have just tried it on the Z10 but I still have the blank screen issues.

7. Ovidiu Necula

Ovidiu Necula Member

Hello, Yesterday I watched two episodes with no black screen issues. Before starting the second episode, the mediaplayer was left on TV Show information (on HomeTheather) for some time and black screens appeared several times. I have fully shutdown player (no standby that happens when you turn off TV) and after restart, no black screens appeared. I think this issue it's related with resuming from standby.

8. testphase

testphase New Member

it is not possible with this version to watch 4k hdr from nas.
    the video will stutter after random time repeatedly, then the system will reboot. i had to revert the wohle system to 2.1.30. pls investigate this issue

9. Ovidiu Necula

Ovidiu Necula Member

Hi, is it easy to revert back to 2.1.30?

10. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Just to bring a little perspective back to this thread....

I've had a Z9S since November last year.

I started on v1.7.7 as shipped, upgraded v1.8.1 to v1.9.7 through v2.1.22 then v2.1.30 then v2.1.40

I have also reverted to v1.7.8 then upgraded that back to v2.1.40.

I must have watched maybe 20 UHD rips in that time and fiddled about with countless others - a mixture of my own remux MKVs and my own encodes (Using StaxRip and NVEnc hardware encoding) and the Z9S has been faultless (with the occasional glitch due to my own finger trouble - ie messing with stuff I shouldn't).

If you use it correctly, sensibly, and don't expect it to nip out to the shops and buy you a bun on its own, this hardware is bomb proof. It plays 2K and 4K rips frame perfect every time without missing a beat.

And to the bloke who said "it is not possible with this version to watch 4k hdr from nas" I have 16TB of 2K NAS storage (mirrored, so 32TB in total) made up of 2 x 4 x 4TB drives and 16TB of 4K NAS storage (again mirrored, so 32TB in total) made up of 2 x 2 x 8TB drives and there is simply no issue with network playback with either NFS or SMB from these drives (I use SMB since although more overhead, it is more robust).

I've never seen a green screen, never seen a black screen and I know the provenance of my source material.

Not trying to cast any aspersions here, just trying, as I said to begin with, to apply a little perspective.

blenky likes this.
  11. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I would like to concur with @Markswift2003. I have had a Z9S since December and I have never seen black screens or green screens. I think it has crashed back to movie wall once or twice but not something I see as an issue.

Although I DON'T know the provenance of all my videos (!) I encounter none of the issues on here. My main gripes are with Ht2 and it's challenge with full menu support and the inablity to sort move and TV by source.. Apparently seamless branching is not totally fixed but it seemed fine to me with the one disk that has multiple M2TS files.

All I am saying is that I don't think this player, with the latest firmware, is fundamentally flawed in any way. On the contrary it is perhaps the best all round media box at this present time.

12. cappy1

cappy1 Member

No problems here as well. I have had this device for almost three weeks and use it everyday with no crashes, hiccups or colored screens. I have played mucho 4K MKV's via SMB from my QNAP server without a single issue A well sorted out player and Zidoo seems to really listen to its customers.

Speaking of sorted, however, I would like more sorting options for the movie wall so I can quickly select my separate files of 4K's, BR's and SD's without having to go into the Filter menu. Also, the default movie wall lumps everything together. That being said, there are a number of great movie wall features.

13. x9suser

x9suser Member

The above few posts look suspiciously written by the same guy.

14. cappy1

cappy1 Member

I am from the USA and blenky is from the UK (I think). Check out the AVS Forum on the z9s and you will see we both have posted there. I have no vested interest in this device and just honestly reporting what I have experienced.

15. Ovidiu Necula

Ovidiu Necula Member

@cappy1 and @blenky - do you use passthrough or the media player is directly connected to the TV? Mine goes passthrough a soundbar for DTS X and Atmos sound. in the same way goes Apple TV 4K without no issues.

16. x9suser

x9suser Member

The black screen problem appears when playing at 4k at 10 bit color. If settings is 8 bit color, it plays without problem.

17. Markswift2003

A guy on AVS made a very valid comment recently, words to the effect that everyone is very quick to blame the last device they put in their signal chain when things go awry.

Ok, you may have an X9S that works fine and if you replace it with a Z9S you suddenly get issues. That doesn't necessarily mean that the Z9S is uniquely at fault, it may be an incompatibility with the Z9S and one of many devices in the chain.

Receivers are a favourite culprit, Denon being occasionally problematic. Doesn't mean there isn't an issue with the Z9S, but it's a shared issue and it's never going to get fixed unless the Zidoo devs can replicate it and the only way that will happen is if you are very specific in an email to them detailing the circumstances under which problems occur and with what equipment.

"The black screen problem appears when playing at 4k at 10 bit color" does not give them enough to go on. Mine plays perfectly at 4K 10-bit (and that's with Denon btw) and so it would seem do many others.

A good start would be to compare your chain with mine - we both have the Z9S, mine works, yours doesn't, so the compatibility issue is either in the signal chain or the source material you use, but the Z9S is not uniquely at fault.

My chains are:

Z9S > 1M HDMI > Denon 7200 > 5M HDMI > Samsung UE75NU7172

Z9S > 0.25m HDMI > HDFury Vertex > 0.75M HDMI > Denon 8500 > 15M HDMI > JVC X7000

In both instances, playback of 4K MKVs has been perfect so far.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  18. x9suser

x9suser Member

No wonder, you tv model don't have WCG. It is probably only 8 bit color. You maybe able to play 4k10 bit movie, but probably z9s only sending 8 bit color to your tv. That's why you have no issues.

19. Markswift2003

Hmm, you may not be the right person to report issues like this to Zidoo :D

Everything you just said is incorrect.

(The TV is a 10-bit UHD HDR10+ display although the panel itself is 8-bit +FRC (which you may need to google) which it means it accepts and displays 10-bit colour. Regardless, did you not manage to read the second chain??)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  20. Emphyrio

Emphyrio Member

No black screen or resynch 4k 8bit
    but a lot in 10bit for me :(
    (epson 9400 projector, yamaha rx-v485)
    try a lot of HDMI 2 or 2.1 cable (1meter)
    I receive HDMI optical cable tomorrow to be sure

Miguel Ramos likes this.