Black screen 10 bits

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by Gonzalo Bouzas, Jan 15, 2019.

1. No I don't have a AV receiver

2. Yes I have tried all the configuration in auto. The zidoo shows me 4k@60 hz 10 bit color 444 and from this way there isn't black screen but the stuttering is so terrible that you can't see a movie.. I will try 12 bit 4:2:2 and see whats going on

JCJMC likes this.
  3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Sounds like there are two things going on here - the black screen sounds like a either an HDMI cable failure or HDMI compatibility issue (and I think we can discount the cables) and the stuttering sounds like a throughput issue.

Might be worth posting on AVS to see if anyone there has that TV.

I have seen issues with 10-bit 444 on the Dune Pro where it just will not sync and even gives sparklies - a classic cable issue - but 12-bit 444 plays fine so you have to assume it's not the cable. This sounds a similar problem.

Another thing to note on the Zidoo - now I haven't tested this on later v2 firmware, but when I tested on v1.9.7 downwards, when you set 12-bit 444 on the Zidoo it would continue to spit out 10-bit 444 (this was tested with a Vertex) so it may just be a 10-bit 444 compatibility issue with your TV and when you set 12-bit 444 it's still receiving 10-bit. This is the sort of issue where the Vertex becomes invaluable.

4. Thank you Mark. I confirm you that I tried 12 bit 4:2:2 and I got the same result.. constantly black screen. I don't know which is the reason but I told you that I have two models of zidoo, X9S and Z9S and I have the same problem with both.

5. Markswift2003

Man, that's just weird! So it can't be the 12-bit outputting 10-bit as I mentioned above since the X9S does put out 12-bit 444 correctly. And 12-bit 422 only requires 8.9Gb/s which is in HDMI 1.4 territory, so it's not a bandwidth issue.

And I really can't see the Samsung being at fault - not the same models admittedly but I had an 2015 65" Sammy until recently that played fine with the X9S and the Z9S. I've now changed it for a 2018 model (think it was 2018 anyway..) 75" Sammy and that's perfect too.

Time to try crazy stuff - have you tried a different HDMI input on the TV?

6. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Have you set Zidoo box to Hdmi 2.0 in settings - Android settings ?

7. Markswift2003

The only thing I have changed in Android Settings is in Developer Options - I've set YST mode (Ignore EDID) to on. The only HDMI setting I can see is the RX (ie HDMI input) which I have at 1.4, although that should be irrelevant...

8. DELUCAS

Would it not hurt to try hdmi 2.0 in settings on the zidoo box as id imagine the op screen input is hdmi v 2.0

One thing elliminsted etc .

9. Yes I have put HDMI 2.0 but without improvment

10. DELUCAS

Ok thanks for confirming .

11. In the color space I have four options.

AUTO
    8 bit prority
    10 bit
    12 bit

I don't know If it is important but 10 and 12 bit don't say priority

12. Wow if I set 1080p @23 hz 444 no problem with 10 bits there isn't black screen

So we can confirm that it is not a problem about the model of the tv because it is able to play 10 bit

Attached Files:

13. Here I upload a video

My config is 4k@23 hz 10

View My Video

14. Yes I have tried four HDMI port

15. Markswift2003

Ok, try switching to 3840x2160p 24Hz and turn suto framerate
    Unfortunately just because the TV will accept a 10-bit 2k input doesn't mean it'll accept a 10-bit 4K one. I agree that it should but it doesn't seem to be the case here.

Do you have another TV to try it on, or could you take the Zidoo and your HDMI cable to a friend's house and try on another 4K TV? Basically to try and eliminate either the Zidoo or your TV as the issue.

16. Yes I tried that that config last night without success and regrettably I don´t have the possibility to test on another 4K TV

17. jycai

jycai New Member

One more thing - have you made sure "HDMI UHD Color set to On" with samsung KS9000?

18. Yeah I am sure

19. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

I have just experienced a similar black screen issue. when the screen went blank, it also came w a pop on the tv speakers (which made me jump a bit). I turned off everything from mains, ensured all the hdmi cables r secured then restarted one by one. will see if it happens again.

20. Ovidiu Necula

Ovidiu Necula Member

I happened to me on old firmware .22 some random black screens during movie but it seems that went away after update to .30 firmware. I keep priority 12bit, 1080p 50hz and auto resolution and framerate on.