Black screen 10 bits

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by Gonzalo Bouzas, Jan 15, 2019.

1. During playback of an 4K 10Bit content with deep color mode set in the settings. The screen goes black every 20-30 secs.

I am using 3840 x 2160 23 hz

2. splintyg

splintyg Member

What is the place of video? HDD-USB or Network?

3. HDD-USB and I have a samsung model 2016 ks9000

4. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Do you have auto resolution and rate switching set?
    Do you have a certified HDMI 2.0 cable?

5. someone could recommend me another cable? if it is the problem

6. splintyg

splintyg Member

It's just a my own experience. When i moved video on SMB in 1000gb home network a lot of problem has gone. So i don't think that the problem is in HDMI cable...

7. Junkie_000

Junkie_000 New Member

If you read the reviews of that cable a lot of people are having problems with 4K.

8. jycai

jycai New Member

I had similar problem with my hdmi cables that connected the AV receiver, the screen menu display was also slow with HDMI 2.0 turned on at Zidoo and TV.
    After I replaced the hdmi cable, everything include HDR is working fine.

9. Thank you! Could you tell me which cable are you using? I was thinking that 4k 23 hz 444 is not a "legal" mode and this was the problem but I Will try with a new cable

10. jycai

jycai New Member

I used two original cables from Zidoo(One from X9S and another one from Z9S) in my Z9S --> Yamaha RX-V683 --> TCL 55R615 setup, HDMI 2.0 were turned on Z9S and TCL, all bits and color spaces combination were working for HDR and Atmos. Before I bought my X9S serveral months ago, someone on the internet said the cable came with the X9S did not support 4K HDR(which proved to be wrong !!), so I went to ebay bought a couple supposed "2.0" and "2.1'" compatible HDMI cables, but those two cables only work in HDMI 1.4 not in 2.0! I guess you got what you paid for.

11. jycai

jycai New Member

If the cable doesn’t solve the problem, you may want to try a factory reset.

Gonzalo Bouzas likes this.
  12. Thank you. I will try that you told me

13. It s strange because If I set resolution on 3840 x 2160p @60 hz 10 bit 444 there isn't black screen but stuttering is so terrible but if I set 3840 x 2160p@23 hz 8 bits 444 I can watch movies perfectly. So, how can I do to watch 4k 10 bit 444? I don't know what to do to solve. I have tried withe four diferents HDMI cable. Help please...

Attached Files:

14. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The cable you linked to above is absolutely fine - it's Premium Certified which means it's ratified by the HDMI Licencing Administrator. If you ever have a doubt over such a cable there is an app you can use to verify with the QR code on the label.

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiumcable/faq.aspx#156

4K23 10-bit 4:4:4 is most definitely a legal HDMI mode, and is the preferred mode for playing UHD BluRay content as it's the closest to how it's encoded (4:2:0 10-bit) and it only requires a bandwidth of 13.4Gb/s so it's not really stressing the cable.

See attached pic for HDMI modes.

Certainly a file with a bitrate as shown in your screen shot above should pose absolutely no problem for the Z9S so it sounds like it either comes down to an issue with the file or with its delivery. I'm suspecting delivery - do you have other USB devices you can try or try a file over the LAN?

Attached Files:

gymnos likes this.
  15. Hi Mark. Thank you for the information about cable.

I suppose that it isn't a problem about the external hard disk or a file because when I set that configuration the menu directly show me a constantly black screen.

I have found only a way to avoid this problem. If I disable the option HDMI UHD Color on my samsung Tv this error doesn't happen but in this case I can't play on 10 bits..

16. Markswift2003

Right, I understand about the menu blanking too now - wonder if it's the TV - what's the model number?

17. It's samsung KS9000 model year 2016. I suppose that this tv support 10 bit without issues at least I hadn't problems with other devices like X box One X

18. Markswift2003

I was expecting you to tell me it's an older model, but that one should have no trouble at all.

Have you tried all settings on Auto - ie HDMI Mode, Deep color mode, Color space and HDMI range?

I can't see why setting modes discretely as you have done shouldn't work, but if everything is set to auto then theoretically the EDID from the TV should tell the Zidoo what to do.

Another thing to try is 4K23 12-bit 4:2:2 which isn't ideal as it's processed internally at 8-bit, but it'd be interesting to see if it works.

19. jycai

jycai New Member

Do you have a AV receiver between Zidoo and your TV? You can remove the AV receiver to see if that is the problem. Some AV receivers have different 4K Modes and need to be set up correctly.