Upgrade from X8 to 1296 series Z9 or Z10?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1296)' started by X8fan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. X8fan

X8fan Member

Hi everyone, I currently have the X8 which I know it's not top of the line. It has been serving me well until lately I've started watching 4K/UHD content in BDMV.

Every few minutes, the X8 would either stutter or skips frames or sometimes pauses for a second or two until it resumes playback. Needless to say this is really annoying.

Does the RTD 1296 series have better performance? Has anyone experienced the same stuttering, frame skipping while watching high bit rate 4K/UHD content?

I am just wondering if I'm wasting money to upgrade to something that doesn't make a difference.

2. futeko.com

futeko.com Active Member

Z9S / Z10 will not have any problem playing content at any bit rate you'll find in normal use.

But, saying that, X8 shouldn't either. Where are these files stored? What network protocol are you using? NFS will be faster than Samba. Both better than UPNP / DLNA.

3. X8fan

X8fan Member

My server is windows 10 on an old machine and I didn’t think it’s possible to use NFS on windows.

A quick google shows something about mounting for anonymous user but I already have a network user setup on win10 to share specific folders to the Kodi/Emby client. can I reuse the same credentials after enabling NFS? If anyone has tips to share will be much appreciated.

4. X8fan

X8fan Member

By the way I already have a latest asus gigabyte router all connected with hard wires so I don’t think it’s network bottleneck

5. futeko.com

futeko.com Active Member

Zidoo X8 (and newer models also) should stream anything using Samba, and most users are experiencing no problems, so a problem here is probably resolvable with tweaks to your Samba network setup / NAS.

But.. NFS will always be a bit faster than Samba and should solve any marginal problems with high bitrate video. Some info about setting up an NFS share on Windows 10: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329452

6. Warnervok

Warnervok New Member

This could be a good experiment if the OP wanted to upgrade to Stretch. Debian is really a great OS for someone to still get by using Sarge.