External Bluray RW Drive

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X20 PRO' started by Israel, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Israel

Israel New Member

Hi!, i bought a Pioneer Bdr-xd05s model as bluray dvd and cd player for zidoo X20 Pro but many blurays and disc wont play.

When i put an audio Cd CD it hangs loading.

I have special interest on this since i have many cd's and i don't have a cd player, will be great if Zidoo Team help to fix it for next firmware release play audio CDs on the Music Player

by the way its with the beta firmware v1.7.8

Thanks

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Sorry to tell you but CD Audio reading is something very different as those have a very different format. A CD-ROM drive won't read CD Audio but yes DVD and BD and also general Data formats on CD, DVD and BD. Early CD-ROM drives could read CD Audio tracks too as those had a decoder+DAC built into the drive to reproduce CD Audio via a special audio connector/cable. For cost savings that capability was dropped many years ago as nobody was playing CD's on a PC anymore.

No you won't be able to use it as a CD-Audio player but most drives will allow DAE (Digital Audio Extraction) via a suitable program plus drivers on a PC. I recommend doing so and converting all your CD's to FLAC's which will sound identical (=lossless). You may even burn these on a CD and next play those on that same drive. They then will be supported (data files).
    Personally prefer to play my CD's converted to FLAC from a HDD instead.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  3. Israel

Israel New Member

Dear nice monkey!, you are totally right! you make me remember that old cd-roms with a MPC-2 cable to the motherboard, thank you for the great explanation, my idea was because i receive many new titles like the imagine and white album both with demos on cd and i thnk could be great to arrive at home and play it directly from the Zidoo, but as you say, i will need to convert to a digital format.

thank my guru!

Kind regards Israel

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Happy to assist. :)
    Also good to get confirmed CD-ROM also works via USB as I tested only SATA myself. ;)
    This in fact is a very nice USB3 drive available at a good price. Might even get one myself one day?

Please share practical experiences with the community using it.