Z9S and music

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by toshu, Oct 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. toshu

toshu Member

I am considering the Z9S for a music system. here are some questions.

1. Can the unit output digital music via USB?

2. Is the unit DLNA compliant? ie. can I access music stored on a server PC on the home network?

3.Does the Control 4 software allow remote control of the unit to select music directly attached to the Z9s or on a NAS or PC server?

4.What functions does the Music 3.0 app accomplish?

5. What processor is used for music decoding?

6. Any specific info on how an outboard DAC could be connected to the digital output of the Z9S so that it does the decoding??

7. What is the maximum capacity of any HDD connected directly?

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

3. toshu

toshu Member

Nice Monkey,
    Thanks for your response.
    I am curious how or where in settings there is an option to output music through one of the USB ports???
    I have read elsewhere that Android TV does not have that capability in almost all versions, although there is speculation that Android 7 may have that? Would you mind double checking if its really there?? since this would be HUGE for me and a great reason to buy and try this unit with a DAC.

4. Nice Monkey

Yes I am sure. Part of audio setup under Quick Setup. Never used by me, so no practical experience.

5. toshu

toshu Member

Nice Monkey, a variation on a question I asked previously, ...

Can this unit be used as a NAS or file server??

6. Nice Monkey

It also standard includes running OpenWRT which includes an advanced SMB and FTP server. So yes but restricted as just a bunch of HDD's (JBOD) without any RAID setup to make them fail-safe.

In the setup a provision is for sure available to configure Audio output via an USB external DAC, but reports are negative thus far for practical results using Music Player. Can't try this myself as I don't own such a DAC.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  7. toshu

toshu Member

In the outputs for this unit there is a AV out. It appears to be the only analog audio output available. Would this be a 3.5mm plug that converts to a 3 part, Yellow, White and Red analog connection set???
    Has anyone tried it??

8. Nice Monkey

Analog out via the jack plug works. Very few will use it but it is available.

9. toshu

toshu Member

If I buy this box to play with, it will initially be used hooked up via optical cable to my B&K AVR507, which will decode with its internal DAC. The analog out is required for zone 2 outside....for some stupid reason zone 2 needs analog. When I buy a standalone DAC, then I will run the USB audio out of the Zidoo to the DAC then analog out from it into the B&K....

BTW, I saw your posts regarding the Z20 Pro...do you have that unit also?? It seems overpriced, especially for the DAC implementation.

10. Nice Monkey

If I ever want to bypass the DAC in my Onkyo TX-RZ720 I will go for a dedicated DAC similar to what you did. Probably based on the same SABRE chip but with a higher build quality: Dual dedicated linear PSU, HQ Oscillator and HQ AMP's.

The Onkyo TX-RZ720 build-in DAC AKM AK4458 is pretty good though and has special VLSC digital filters for the L/R Main channels (the more expensive RZ820 has those for all 8 channels). I am not so sure I will really perceive the quality difference (also seen my age to be honest)?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  11. oha

oha New Member

hello.. IM sorry for disturbing this post.. but Iam a new forum user (not even 1 week) and I guess I am not yet allowed to start posting a new subject.. so I post my message here excuse me pls..
    THE POST:
    zidoo z9s bug (audio) (abnormal behaviour) someone confirm this please..
    facts: I'm happy with z9s %90 most of the time.. watching movies and listening music..
    how i found this wierd behaviour? while i was listening to music, my phone rang.. and I turned down zidoo z9s's volume to "zero".. (not from the receiver's volume) and the led lights of my receiver began to blink in a wierd way..
    at first I was afraid that receiver was having some kind of damage like a shortcut in a bad way cos' the led lights were going off and on.. and only dash characters were shown on the AVR screen. you know ? it happens when the cables shortcut ? but sometimes this behaviour is different.. sometimes only two leds were blinking.. one of them was "LPCM" and the other one was the "EQ" equiliser led light..
    is this a conflict between zidoo z9s's audio control with the A/V receiver's audio control ? is it because of my receiver ? I've no idea yet.. (sony da2400es 7.1 channels)
    im so naive.. im so sorry if it is lame or maybe (its not something important) or if this has been posted here before.. it might not even be a bug.. but someone please confirm this with z9s or any box with 176 KHz dsf file or maybe any loud music or a music file with bass ? (i dont have any other box, so i cant try else) from zidoo remote turn/level your audio to 0.. do not mute.. or dont do this from your AV receiver.. this is something related to/with the z box.. and when the voice reaches to 0... A/V receiver's screen begin to behave abnormally.. it blinks on and off.. just like when you first open a file it reads the data blinks and then shows it to you.. but this time it does it on and off and on and off repeatedly/constantly.. (i think the EQ led first tries to appear and then it goes off on and on..)
    for example: this file;
    album:
    "the audiophile's guide"
    track:
    "09 center channel adjust what i am.dsf" (176.4 KHz - 101,62 MB size)
    I found out that it start happening at 11th second.. not 5th second.. there is bass at 5th second.. but it doesnt happen.. but it starts happening at 11th second..

try 3 or 4 music files.. in the middle of the song where it is loud.. and most probably you will face the same thing.. i guess.

the bug does NOT happen for this file..
    audiophile hi-res system test, track: 16 percussion blah blah.dsf (88,2 KHz - 256.04 MB in size)
    but it happens at the tracks through 29-33 ? it only triggers the "LPCM" led LIGHT on the AV receiver' only once or twice just when the bells ding..

Black Sabbath 04 Iron Man.dsf (176.4 KHz - 240,57 MB in size)
    01:40 ? the leds turn on and off more than usual. : ))

VERY WIERD.. SORRY if I'm taking your time unnecessarily.. but I wasnt sure.. so thats why I decided to post..

've a very beautiful day.. thnx..