New firmware v2.1.14 beta version for ZIDOO X9S released(Music 3.0 upgrade to 3.1.8)

Discussion in 'X9S Official Firmware Releases' started by zidoo, Sep 26, 2018.

1. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

When you play movie from BD menu the old interface GUI pops up ???
    I almost looks like the BD menu ties into the old player.

I still have the same issue. I can't adjust audio offset from BD player. I need to stop the video, make adjustment in quick settings and restart BD.

2. zidoo

zidoo Member SUPER Administrator

Try setting to PCM output.

3. Jualkacalampu

Jualkacalampu New Member

Awesome gui for new firmware

4. blasiusx

blasiusx Member

I think the new "GUI" is not good.

First, you do not have everything at a glance while playing. Second, you have to press a button twice and come to the "GUI" buttons for the FW / RW / etc., that's a lot more complicated than before. One could also directly recognize, which framerate, codec and resolution had the video, now only briefly at the start the resolution and framerate is faded in. Or you have to interrupt the playback by pressing the "Info" button. And the "Info" button does not exist at all on the "Basic" IR. Only on the extended remote control, which is not included by default. That just can not be!

And if you play a video with chapters, you can not jump directly to the next video by pressing twice, but you have to pause the playback, then jump to the next video in the list, and then start playing again.
    Before that you pressed the "Arrow" button on the "Basic" IR twice in quick succession and the next video file was played. Now only the playback jumps to next chapter. Meaning, the "Arrow" buttons have the same function as the chapter buttons "Up and Down". This is nonsense.
    I have again installed the firmware 2.0.34, because everything is more logical and easier to use. The 2.1.12 make only regression for me. :(:mad:

sergeich27 likes this.
  5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I have the same experience. Marked that simply as not playing.
    @zidoo Indeed SACD ISO and DSF after switching HDMI to 2-channel LPCM both work and do so also correctly at 176.4 Mhz (AUTO works too). Only forced HDMI RAW needs to be fixed. :)
    I am putting all detailed ZidooMusic Player 3.0 experiences here:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/zidoo-music-3-0-coming-soon.10768/

I feel the new GUI is good but remote control direct inter-action needs improvements.

My expectation is this is the last last firmware using Android 6. It seems it came so late as it was updated only to get ZidooMusic Player 3.0 working before releasing. For real time player fixes we most likely need to wait for an Android 7.1 version. ;)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  6. JohnS

JohnS Member

Music app is on the right track -evolving-! I really like the lyrics shown as you play a song. I didn’t use zidoo as a music player before but maybe I will now.

7. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

Am i missing something here i thought the zidoo was for playing movies, TV shows why are you messing about with a music player should you not get the video perfect first?

this is the problem with all media players always adding features but not concentrating on the ones already implemented to work flawlessly.

3DBuff likes this.
  8. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Adding extra features adds more customers to purchase there products and it req adding for the X20 / Pro range
    As that was leaning towards the Music side of things .

But yes as long as they concentrate on The Movie side of things mostly .
    But it adds an extra bit of value on our products to also.

9. Nice Monkey

It is called a "media player" not just "video player" which included a video player/streamer, music player and picture viewer. Also that last one got a significant update recently as it should.

There are many good apps for music and picture using Android, but unfortunately these are all very specifically designed with smart-phones in mind. Good to see quality ones coming now to media players too.

JohnS likes this.
  10. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

yes i agree if all works that is. The problem is a team is working on a music player maybe less so on the movie section? also has a music player much better alternatives i would never considered this for listening to music.

11. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Who knows what is there priorty

But it should be No 1 Movie playback and the other bits that holds it together then of course the music player .
    If they start concentrating more on the music player side of things .
    Then we should let them know whats the priority on this box more so .

In my own opinion .
    But i did buy this media box for Movie viewing .

12. olisun

olisun Member

What is the primary function of players like Zidoo etc?

Do you really think people would buy these players for playing music, which require you to leave your TV / Monitor on or do you think they mostly use for video?

Adding new features is good but then it should not be at the expense of some of the primary functions, which most of us have been asking for a fix for quiet sometime now.

dwalme likes this.
  13. Nice Monkey

A good Media Player with Music Player works with the TV turned off indeed. So does ZidooMusic Player 2.0/3.0 using your smartphone to control it. Using BT speakers (or other room remote speaker setup on your AMP) you don't even need to be in the same room. So yes I do expect people to just do that like I do myself.

You may have missed those details despite being advertised with pictures of the remote APP included.

Please share those alternatives with the community as I am interested: Obviously for listening to a high quality High Definition audio including DTS-CD and SACD formats played in their native resolutions.
    To kick off: My best alternative at the moment is the Music Player/Streamer build-into my Onkyo AMP, but that one lacks support for NTFS and insists on FAT32. It also misses Multi Channel support. :(

Not a smart-phone APP always using 48Khz even to play MP3's which are really all sampled at 44.1 Khz (OK on the phone-speakers and even ear-set you probably don't hear this). Using a Chord Mojo or equivalent portable DAC via USB and a quality headset that would do it, but will be far more expensive.

JohnS likes this.
  14. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

Rasberry pi with picoreplayer installed, i have a NAS where my music is stored using logitech squeezebox software, an ipad for the interface.

rasberry pi connected to a usb dac chord qutest. plays every high bit rate including DSD 64,128,256

no need for the expensive dac you could easily use many different ones or a rasberry pi dac addon. No other music system this can beat i know tried or had demonstrations of all of them. Been using this system for 5 years+ perfect, forget the zidoo it's a toy great for movies nearly if sort the bugs out.

15. Nice Monkey

Thanks for sharing your setup with us!

Good setup, no comments there! But is in a very different price-class and using too many different boxes for me.

Was looking for an all-in-one solution (reducing the number of components having now). If you connect that Chord DAC via USB to you Zidoo you will quality wise get exactly the same sound and probably very soon also a nice(r) functionality, I am considering an USB DAC myself.

16. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

It's not the hardware it's the software that lets down music servers, you need an app on an android/ipad for the interface not a phone screen too small. Also i will come back to the zidoo if i think looks promising but at the moment no where near and anyhow i want perfect movie playing first. :)

In regard to too many boxes, only the rasbbery pi the NAS has music/movies/backups so multi function system.

17. JohnS

JohnS Member

There are tons of media players out there, with same -or similar- specs, different boxes, all with android. BUT the huge different is the GUI they are using, in theory they should all perform the same more or less, but they don't...
    Zidoo (in my opinion) is building a strong user interface with multiple apps -aside from android os- to make a difference when you choose to buy a media player. Having a strong GUI, makes much easier to concentrate and build fancy media players fulfilling consumers demands.
    I also believe that, us, users of x9s are the "guinea pigs" testing all the new features before they implement them on their firmware to the other (more expensive) devices. To be honest, I don't know any other media player brand giving so many firmware updates and strongly supporting a 2+ years old media player (now the Z9S comes!)
    I totally agree that some playback issues are really annoying but (for me again) many bugs I had with early versions are now gone.
    Lets hope they will continue to support x9s and resolve most of video playback issues

18. Nice Monkey

The interface is where Zidoo did the correct thing as they use a Webserver on the Zidoo. The remote control in fact works via HTML using any web-browser interface which may run on any OS having any size of screen. So your iPAD will do just fine for controlling this music player too.

19. JohnS

JohnS Member

Wow openwrt GUI has changed! This is way better! They also added an NTFS server!

20. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

After using 2.1.12 I found few things fix. Now AAC soundtrack work, but strangely without activate compatibility downmix 5.1 all soundtrack I try work flawlessly in raw (I had some problem before with DD+ thrueHD). GUI do not freeze or black screen when quitting HDR content. Now I can play all my files H264 H265.