New firmware v2.0.34 version for ZIDOO X9S release

Discussion in 'X9S Official Firmware Releases' started by mirror, Jul 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. What you think @3DBuff ?

2. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Couple of things before we make a verdict.
    I'm glad you made a complete video. You are running your display in 60Hz converting 24fps into 3:2 pulldown. Some people prefer this over true cinematic film cadence of 24fps in native form. It's a matter of technology behind the TV and personal preference. However forcing Kodi to run display in 60Hz disables skip counter. Kodi decoder info always shows what the embedded stream is 23.976 but not what the display is doing.

Go to Settings > Player > Videos > Adjust Refresh Rate "Off" -> change it to "Always" (this will force display to accept true 24fps if possible following film cadence).
    To double check that the TV is capable go to Settings > System > Display and see if you can change Refresh Rate. See what the list is. You should see 60, 50, 30, 25, 24, 23.78... You don't have to change it but check if you have 23.98. From the image it looks like this option was greyed out. See if the TV can show you info of the input signal once you have "Adjust Refresh Rate to Allways". Look for refresh rate. It should be 23.978 or close.

I think I see few skipped frames in the video but it's hard to tell when your TV screen is doing 60Hz 3:2 pulldown from 24fps source and YouTube video is 30fps on my 60Hz laptop screen ;)

Screenshots below are from your video with the settings I mentioned.

Utube2.jpg

Utube1.jpg

3. @3DBuff even if i set the refresh rate to Always, the General Refresh Rate is still greyed out. So I'm unable to perform what you requested for.

4. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

@Vageesan Sivananthan thanks again for taking the time to look into this. That's how we all learn from everybody experiences.
    You should check this 24fps issue on your system. Make sure you don't have some HDMI splitter or audio receiver reducing the signal. If the wire is direct to the TV check your TV specification. 60Hz was the display refresh rate in the old days of CRT tubes. Once flat panel TV's came to the market different refresh rates were possible. Some low end TV's and computer monitors will still lock at 60Hz only. 60Hz hides a lot of frame rate issues. Modern TV's with 24fps and frame interpolation will deliver much cleaner picture.

I'm going to install Kodi and check it myself. From what other people are saying it can be done parallel to ZDMC.

5. I'm outstation @3DBuff, and I'm testing this in my friend's house using his Led TV. In his tv i don't see any settings for refresh rate and if i pull out the info menu, it's only shows the resolution. Once I'm back home, I'll test with my TV and projector but i just wonder why the Refresh Rate blacked out.

Let me know once you done the testing.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  6. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Do you see list of refresh rates in Kodi under Settings > System > Display on your friend’s TV? You should definitely see it when connected to the projector.

If you don’t see it on any device it is probably one of the limitations in generic Kodi not compatible with Zidoo chipset Realtek RTD1295 as pointed out in Kodi Wiki article.

7. it's nothing to do with the chipset because i have tried with my friends media player [HiMedia] and its still the same. Maybe it's because of his TV. I'll check with my Projector once back home. I just read that the upcoming Kodi v18 support BD-J Java Menu.

Before that you let me know the results once you have installed Kodi.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  8. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

Himedia soc isnt supported in Kodi either

9. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

OK I got my test :) It was rather painless. I should have done it long time ago and don't batter anybody.

I loaded KODI/ZDMC 18 Leia - Build date: 27-08-2018 from Unnoficial Latest KODI Leia 18 with ZidooPlayer version
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/unnoficial-latest-kodi-leia-18-with-zidooplayer.5511/

Kodi loads parallel to ZDMC and it doesn't effect anything as far as I can tell. I'm assuming I can remove it without any issues with ZDMC.

This is hopeless :(
    Not only the refresh rate is not accessible but the playback is horrible compared to ZDMC using internal Kodi player in both cases.
    Even though refresh rate is locked at 60Hz and skip counter is not updating (it probably sees all multiple frames from 60Hz ;) ) the skipped frames are horrible like the motion gets hooked on something. Looks like couple frames are missing (paused) at the time.

Software player is even worse. It chokes on every frame making the video 2fps only.

No go for Kodi player. I understand compatibility issues with Realtek not disclosing their programming but this is way beyond video hardware acceleration.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  10. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

@Vageesan Sivananthan don't waste your time with generic Kodi on Zidoo X9S. If you really like Kodi setup get yourself Raspberry Pi 3. You don't even need the latest B+ just Pi 3 used one will do complete kit for $40 to $50. It plays all formats inside Kodi without a glitch and it has excellent technical support with nightly builds.

Zidoo is for 4K HDR, 3D frame packing, Atmos surround and BD menus :)

11. Agreed and i just tested my BD-J files in Kodi v18, It's useless. If I'm going to use Kodi as my main player, i would have gone for a cheaper BOX or Nvidia Shield TV. I like HT2.0 more than Kodi but the reason i installed Kodi is because of the audio downmix and the reason i bought Zidoo X9S is because they claimed it supports all Bluray Menu's. Hopefully in future FW it can be fixed.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  12. Android arun

Android arun Member

hi zidoo@mirror, spring
    dolby digital .Ac3 5.1 audio is output as 2.1 audio.
    i choose hdmi signal as RAW and Auto nothing change.
    plz guys check with dolby audio codec.
    thanks

13. My Zidoo X9S front VFD display segment is missing. Do any experience the same issue?

14. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

Mine work for AC3 (I may have few case not working), AAC 5.1 is output as CDDA, 2.0, 48HZ and can not been watch since center chanel is missing ( low dialogue). The only choice I have for those is watching them on my XBox One S VLC.

15. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

Sarco, bad info from you... a lot of movie have the central channel too low, now what you report seems to be the cause!!!
    I suppose that 2.0 downmix do the same, right?

Maybe Zidoo will solve this issue?

16. Sarco

I am not using my zidoo anymore except for my 4K movie, everything is now screw in my X9S. Some 1080p movie will output, with any configuration possible, as 2160p (even going thrue my scaler). Sound for any type will sometimes work or not... Like I said before zidoo team just add the smurf language sub-titles and everything is screw from frame rate to audio, cosmetic seem to be their primary focus. Always hope but when more firmware we get less working functions.

Ekul likes this.
  17. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

What did you switch to? I’m in the same situation. Zidoo for 4K and Infuse on AppleTV for everything else. If they figure out their Dolby MAT 2.0 for atmos support I might move exclusively over to infuse.

18. Sarco

When settings the box to 1080p 24Hz, no refresh and resolution, the movie play at 2160p... Any settings I try some 1080p play at 2160p! For the sound some AC3 work other not, no file using DDHD or trueHD or what ever won't downgrade to 5.1. Like I said cosmetic, a nice switch to downgrade to 5.1 that doing nothing anymore.

I use my XBox One S with VLC since all my files are on a smb 1.0 NAS,with no support on kodi for xbox for smb 1.0.

19. DolbyVision

DolbyVision New Member

Hello Zidoo!
    Could please fix color difference between 1080p and 4K(HDR) videos on LG Oled TVs. With default settings 4K files play excellent but when I play 1080p files they are a lot darker, I have to use brightness settings on Zidoo to fix this.
    That’s not very convenient to change brightness every time I play different files.
    My settings HDMI auto, 12 bit, Ycbcr 444, o-255.

20. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Hi, I'm sorry to tell you you're doing things wrong. First of all it's absolutely normal to have different brightness between HDR and SDR (1080p content) content! This means you shouldn't be touching the brightness on the Zidoo (leave everything defalut, it's the best you can have!). When you play HDR or SDR content, your OLED TV (but it's the same on any TV o VPR) switches video preset and everything related (space colour, white balance, gamma, OLED brightness, ecc..). So it's normal to see differences. With HDR content your OLED TV reproduces up to 7-800 nits, with SDR content it should be around 300 nits with default presets, although it should actually be at least half (between 100 and 140 nits, max). But if you don't know how to calibrate and don't have the software, colorimeter and knowledge to do that just use the ISF dark room preset for SDR and Cinema or Technicolor preset for HDR....they will be the best presets you can get.
    Also your settings on the Zidoo are wrong: if you want the best picture you should set Deep Color on 10 bit (which is the max you will get with any 4K HDR content and the max you will get from your TV which has a 10 bit display), Color Space on AUTO (to avoid banding with HDR content) and HDMI Range on limited 16-235, because video content is coded this way (0-255 is for RGB PC content, not for video!)

If you have any doubt about what I'm suggesting you, let me tell you I am a profesional ISF level 2 calibrator, so I know what I'm talking about.
    You have a very nice TV, so don't ruin your entertainment by setting things wrong and asking for things that shouldn't work that way.

Hope I could help!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    3DBuff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.