How to switch video tracks in Zidoo Media Player?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1295)' started by Headhunter, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Headhunter

Headhunter New Member

I have some MKVs that contain 2 video tracks, one for the 2D video in UtraHD and another one for the 3D video in FullHD. Like this I can hjave both movie versions and use the same audio tracks for both versions. That saves some disk space.

In Kodi/ZDMC I can easily switch between the video tracks (OSD -> camera symbol -> first option).

As I like to use the Zidoo Media Player to get the full hardware support it would be nice to see such an option there as well. Currently the first track is played and you cannot switch, or can you?

It would be ok for a first version to toggle between the video tracks using a keyboard key, like "T" currently toggles through the available audio tracks. In a later version some kind of GUI (e.g. a menu to select the video track from) would be nice.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. riddleace

riddleace Member

Hi, this will not works. At 3D you have already 2 video track, one for video and secound for 3D efect.

3. Headhunter

Headhunter New Member

No, it depends on how the 3D video is created. My 3D MKVs have only one 3D video track, either "encoded" as HSBS (where you have two pictures side-by-side) or as "Real 3D" (MVC/frame packing) which is the best quality option and also can be viewed as FullHD 2D as additional bonus. In fact 3D MKVs with 2 video tracks are quite rare nowadays.

See here for official statement from Matroska website: https://www.matroska.org/news/stereo_3d.html

See also here for a pictured guide on ripping a 3D video. The screenshots (especially the MediaInfo screenshot) shows you the MetaData of the special 3D video track:

http://www.diabeticalertdog.com/forum/read.php?16,10822,10822

4. riddleace

riddleace Member

When i will want some 3D i will always have 3D MVC, becaouse this i bought Zidoo x9s. I dont want watch encoded 3D pictures side-by-side. :)

5. Headhunter

Headhunter New Member

Sure, I prefer that format, too. And as 3D MVC is encoded in 1 videotrack (--> frame packing) this would work perfectly with a videotrack switching feature in the Zidoo player.

riddleace likes this.
  6. riddleace

riddleace Member

Moste time i have in one directory 3D MVC files and 4K/2K files

7. riddleace

riddleace Member

and choice what i want it...

8. Headhunter

Headhunter New Member

Yes, this is the solution that I think most of us currently use. But there are disadvantages:
    • You have duplicate entries in your Kodi database.
    • You have redundant audio tracks. In times with audio tracks encoded in Dolby TrueHD, Atmos or DTS-HD MA, X or even HR this could mean several Gigabytes of redundant data. If you have both video tracks and the audio tracks in a single MKV, you would use one audio track for both movies.
    So I still think this would be a great feature. BTW: Almost every desktop media player I know, supports this feature, e.g. VLC or Media Player Classic.

9. riddleace

riddleace Member

10. Headhunter

Headhunter New Member

Yes, I know that thread, good example. The thread opener there also has MKVs with two video streams, one in 2D, one in 3D. The discussion there lead to the point, where the feature was integrated into Kodi. :)

There is another screenshot in the thread that shows another scenario: Movies with different viewing angles. I don't have such a video, but I heard from them. With this feature you could switch the viewing angle in one of those movies.

Here one of my MKVs with 2D and 3D in it:

[​IMG]