HOW TO CONFIG SMBA ON WIN10

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by HoneCharles, Nov 16, 2016.

1. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

id. say try a reset for openwrt, sambashare wroks good for me from box to win 10

2. htpc

htpc Member

also after reset the same proplem.
    try to copy over samaba for example a 3.5gb file to the memorycard on your x9s.
    is absolutly not working here. it hangs and box must be restartet.
    i also don t think, that its depends that i use an 64gb sdcard instead of 32gb what seems the highest offical capacity what is supportet.
    try it yourself with a file thats about 3.5gb big and see what happens.
    here under win10/64 this isn t working with samba at all...

3. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

don't have a memory card on hand, is the card formatted NTFS ? can you also test with a USB stick ?

4. htpc

htpc Member

the card is formatet as fat32. therefore i tried a file with the size of 3.5gb, becouse maybe you know, the largest filesize fat32 can handle is so far i know 3,99gb.
    i can test it with an usb stick, but even if this should work, it dosn t helps me, becouse i want to use the spoken sdcard for that.
    therefore ive bought it.

5. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

well, first thing, format it NTFS. there is no real reason to have it fat32

6. htpc

htpc Member

i used fat32, becouse i thought, android comes best clear with fat32 as filesystem for changeable sdcards.
    i don t like fat32. i allways prefer ntfs.
    so i followed your advise. this time i used a 16gb big sdcard and formatet it with nfts.
    then i startet the same operation like described above.
    this time operation runs trough and finished.
    ok, the speed is bad, becouse i only get about 10-12mb/s, but better then nothing.
    further tests in progress.
    thanks!

7. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Best filelystem for android is NTFS using GPT , next best thing is the old NTFS using MBR or even ext4 should work better then fat32.
    Depends on the network and noise you accept, id stay invest in a 2 TB USB 3.0 external HDD (good space/money ) or 1 TB if you really are short on money. If you want to use the box at it's true network share/media center potential. You won't get far with a SD card ( a normal/cheap class 10 SD card has a 10 MB.s write speed. a HDD 3.0 can get close to 110+ MB/s levels in samba over wire, hell even a USB 2.0 STICK is faster than a normal SD card )

8. htpc

htpc Member

ok, maybe you right and the bottleneck in this case is the sd card.
    also good to know that ntfs is one of the best filesystems for android. i like ntfs and its also compatible to windows what can be important, if you must for what reasson ever, use the medium over sata/e-sata-usb/3 directly under windows.
    what speed depends, i can test with usb3 hdd. but thats not so important, becouse i don t want to have an full nas with x9s.
    but to have this possibility in theory is of course not bad:)

9. teogtp

teogtp New Member

Hi guys,.I'm new to the whole media player stuff so i'm having trouble getting the X9 to read my pc hdd's. I have followed the guide about SMB pc setup ,but the X9 keeps asking for username and password.
    I'm using WIN10.
    I'm so frustrated.
    Please help.

10. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

Use your windows user and password.

11. teogtp

teogtp New Member

I tried the new user and password( that the smb guide was suggesting)but still i get "wrong username or password" message.

12. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

I just share my folder on network or disk and use my windows username and password. Never use the guide, so I can not help you sorry.

13. hifikid80

hifikid80 Member

i am having the same problem ..any solution?

14. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

hifikid80, the solution is what Sarco wrote.
    To be sure that your Zidoo device will handle Win10 shares (AFAIK only 2.1.15 FW release introduced SMB V2 support), try to re-enable SMB V1 protocol support. Latest Win10 releases disable this protocol, but is still possible to re-enable it.
    Look around to find "how to", is not really complicated.

15. teogtp

teogtp New Member

16. floydo

floydo New Member

Found a couple of options with W10 version 1903. The SMB 1.0 changes mentioned earlier did not work, but...
    Assuming a fixed IP for the zidoo, go to the cmd screen and put in the zidoo ip address \\192. 168.....etc and you should see the zidoo if it was setup in W7 or setup correctly. Map the network drive....Another thing you can do is right click the mapped drive and put it in quick access and add to quick access menu, then delete the mapping (or not).

Another way is in this article https://windowsreport.com/windows-unable-access-samba-share/ The option "enable insecure logins" will be in group policy network in Lanman workstation option...It should be not configured...enable it. This should make the zidoo appear in networking drives as in W7.

Very convoluted in W10.....