UHD BANDING: Poll

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1295)' started by thrang, Feb 16, 2018.

?

Do you see UHD banding issues with your Zidoo x-series products

1. Yes

2. No

3. Dont have bit perfect UHD rips to test...

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. thrang

thrang Member

Let's consolidate all banding discussions here:

With the latest 2.05, UHD banding still exists. It is not terrible, but I think with proper support of 420:8 bit and 420:10 bit, it likely will be eliminated.

I will look to post some images of the banding issue, but if anyone has bit-perfect rips of The Martian UHD or Blade Runner 2049 UHD, you can see them (In The Martian, the second shot of Matt Damon rising from the sand after awaking from the accident - the sky on the ;eft side of the screen exhibits the banding clearly. In Blade Runner 2049, when K is approach the LAPD for his first baseline, look at the distant smog in the opening of the flight segment, and later, as his car veers right, there is a fading light source to the left that exhibits circular banding)

I have the eGreat A11, and while it's a PoS for many reasons, it's raw video quality is the best I've seen. These two example scenes on the A11 do not exhibit the banding.

I will say the 2.05 has overall better video quality than 1.xx versions, but the banding likely won't be addressed until the box (in my case the X9s) properly supports 420:8-bit/10-bit

Is this something Zidoo is actively aware of and working on via a firmware update? Or is this a hard limitation of the Realtek processor? And if so, does this likely mean the x20/Pro will suffer the same banding issue.

Otherwise, it is a rather amazing box, and so much more reliable than the eGreat A11.

I've created a small poll to garner feedback from other users

2. Mumakil

Mumakil Member Beta test group

Good idea this vote.

I have the same banding problem on The Martian and on the Samsung "Wonderland" demo (at first in the sky with the mountains).
    This problem is visible from FW 1.4.12 with the addition of the HDMI Range.
    With the FW 1.4.6 I do not have this problem.
    For now I stay with the FW 1.4.6, but I can not enjoy the new features of the new FW.
    There are also micro jerks on the 4K .....

I love my Zidoo and the image it provides, but I admit to thinking of changing boxes for another brand .....

3. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

Have you tried 12bit 4:4:4. That eliminates banding for me. Any other mode and its visible

4. thrang

thrang Member

Yes, same issue

They need to get 4:20 8 and 10 bit implemented I think to avoid any interpolation.

5. polakis

polakis Member

What about hdmi range mode? Limited or full range is best for less banding?

And whats the best combination of 10/12 bit, hdmi range and color gamut?

6. wesk05

wesk05 Member Beta test group

In my opinion, this poll is incomplete. You have to include the color depth & color space that produces banding. Some displays are showing banding with 12-bit input and some are not. I have posted my results of comparing the actual HDMI outputs from Zidoo. Mathematically, there is no perceptual difference between 10-bit or 12-bit output. With that said, I do see banding with 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2/4:4:4 input on my Samsung TV.

7. Mumakil

Mumakil Member Beta test group

I also have a Samsung TV (KS8000) and whatever the settings, the banding is visible.
    With the same file, no banding with FW 1.4.6 and banding from FW 1.4.12.
    So the problem comes from the Zidoo and not our TV or AMP, they are the same between the 2 FW.
    It does not work anymore since the color changes and the addition of the HDMI Range.

It is not simple problem of settings, but a problem of the box.
    Maybe a coding problem .....

This same file works very well on my Shield or directly connected to my TV.

I say that nicely, it's not a joke. ;)

8. klinsmn

klinsmn New Member

When playing UHD much more bandings on X9S than my Sumsang TV KS8800, very obvious.
    the Zidoo support was told this issue, but pretend not see and not answer.

9. Mute Bob

Mute Bob New Member

Hi. Just chiming in with my experiences. As others have said, any 10 bit video exhibits banding. To all intents and purposes, HDR content is unwatchable (there's little point in deep / wide colour gamut if your end result is much worse image quality).

I'll dispute others assertions RE fixes though. Although switching deep colour modes and colour depths can improve things a little, no combination has eliminated banding completely for me on my LG 65" C7 OLED. As reference, the same files work flawlessly on the internal TV's player, with lovely smooth colour gradation.

I've still not seen a response from anyone at Zidoo for a problem that seems to have been present for multiple releases. Can someone from Zidoo support at least acknowledge that the issue has been seen, even if you have no idea of a fix right now. That would help a lot.

Thanks!

10. Mute Bob

Mute Bob New Member

This reduces the issue slightly - but does not eliminate it for me BTW. I think there's an underlying, fundamental bug here in the way colourspace is being rendered. (for all modes)

11. Mute Bob

Mute Bob New Member

As a quick reference for Zidoo support - here are the instances / history / mentions of this issue since last year - including multiple examples and testing methodologies:

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/clipping-and-banding-test-pictures-included.7854/
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...-tips-questions-tricks.7436/page-2#post-36537
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...-59-94hz-and-hdmi-auto.7473/page-2#post-35525
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...rol-center-coming-soon.7396/page-2#post-35261
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/zdmc-release17-6-x8-x9s-x10.5589/page-7#post-32274

..clearly something happened after release 1.4.6 - can Zidoo support please check their internal code commits / change logs to isolate what change broke this?

12. Mute Bob

Mute Bob New Member

Bumping. This needs acknowledging.