The ryzen APU's are here. End of Chinese TV boxes ?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1295)' started by HaoSs, Feb 14, 2018.

1. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  2. Ayokoya

Ayokoya Member

HA!!!! Funny you went the PC route, I am going down the other route with Raspberry Pi 3, to get rid of PC. I can read email, do my finance with open office dedicated pocket size Pi, and I have Kodi 17.4 installed on the other Pi. Despite the quad 1.2GHz and 1GB RAM, it barely manages to play 1080p videos smoothly, no 2160p. The cost for one Pi is $36 for the Pi, $10 for the 32GB micros SD.

The Pi is not user friendly, everything is sudo this and that, including screen resize, time zone change.

3. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

yah. PI 3 is old news now. they need to enter 2018. they went for price over performance, to get a PC in every house. I have the skills for the PI but the power is to low :)
    i don't see myself getting any TV box any time soon with a ryzen+vega option on the market

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

This is just about the HW. Media players are very stable HW wise. Have a high end PC which is running both PowerDVD 17 and DVDFab Player 5 which frankly does not convince me that PC is the best platform, also here software is the key thingy.

5. Ayokoya

Ayokoya Member

I don't want a laptop, but I do want mobility and low power for simple things, so I started to experiment with Pi-3 and android boxes. If it doesn't pan out, I can always fire up my desktop again, live with fan noise and higher electric bill.

6. JohnS

JohnS Member

I believe there are silent htpcs (intel nuc) but that AMD is very promising! Although the biggest problem for me is the GUI, I like the movie theater v2 and I'm looking for something similar. I know Kodi is the best option but I like minimal ui.
    @Ayokoya best use for my pi3 is the pihole DNS server!

7. Ayokoya

Ayokoya Member

I toyed with QC5000 embedded pc, burns around 20W at wall outlet, fanless and small, but under power for 4K contents, so I slapped on 3 SIL3124 4 port SATA each controller, and thats my home server. Don't laugh at the SIL3124 card, each of the SATA port can support 5 drives in port-multiplier mode.

We'll see how long the X9S, QC5000 and Pi-3 setup last. Meanwhile the FM2+ PC is getting cold and lonely.

8. videobruce

videobruce Member

That is far more than a deal breaker than these Chinese boxes AFAIC!

AFS getting rid of these Chinese boxes, just where is all this other crap made??? :rolleyes:

9. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

there is talk about low power ryzen 2200 apu's , even the current one only has 65W of tdp, and that's if you plan to game on it or something. i don't see the vega CPU eating that much power for decoding

10. Ayokoya

Ayokoya Member

If I do get the Ryzen 2200 apu, its going to be a Linux machine, not a Windows system, unless it can support Win 7. I just can't deal with Win 10's basic essentials hidden from the user, with Ad friendly craps all over the place, and its darn right KVM unfriendly. Win 7 don't resize and re-tile the screen in 1080p mode when you switch the KVM to another system, Win 10 does and its premeditated murder attempt by raising people's blood pressure, why can't they give us an option to disable monitor detect!!?