How can I disable the Root ? or Hide it ?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by ysthbl, Jan 18, 2018.

1. ysthbl

ysthbl Member

Hi

I want to use an application but the application won't working because of the Root

[​IMG]

:(

2. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

3. ysthbl

ysthbl Member

the instruction in the link for how to Root :( I want to remove it or hide from some apps that won't open because of it :(

4. nikos_a

nikos_a Active Member

You can unroot with the same app. It is one button app, no instructions needed

5. ysthbl

ysthbl Member

Great I will try it , but I have a question which is what will happen if I unroot the device ? Will this affect the performance ?

6. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

No.
    But seem likely that your app still detect the device as rooted.
    There are plenty of discussions around in the forums about root, unroot, apps the still detect the devices as rooted, and Zidoo developers that don't answer to this issue at all.
    Forewarned is forearmed...

grapenose likes this.
  7. grapenose

grapenose Member

Agreed, have tried many ways to either install a full root that allows a recovery module like TWRP or completely remove root. Non have worked so far.

8. n_p

n_p Active Member

Here is the play by play.

Zidoo Media players come "pre rooted" out of the factory.

This root access isn't accessible by apps via "normal means" - unless you use Zidoos "root enabler" apk (at which point, all apps get granted root access, if they just ask - no root manager - nothing). But - if you use Zidoos "root enabler" to "unroot" the device - it still stays "rooted" ("pre rooted" the way it was out of factory), as far as apps are concerned that check for root/system security integrity under Android.

Now - there are many different types of "root checks" those apps can perform - and there is an ongoing cat and mouse game how to keep root und hide it from those apps that check - in the Android community in general.

All those methods use a deeper system integration - ie the only plugins/addons capable of hiding root from certain apps come as Xposed modules, or Magisk modules. I use Xposed and Xposed modules on the X9s - so they work, but I havent tried modules that "hide root status from certain apps" (the one for Xposed is called root cloak, if I remember correctly).

The reason why I'm not just willing to try this out for everyone who'd like to know is twofold.

1. With every Xposed module you run into the potential of softbricking the system (bootloop, hangs ...) and without a custom recovery - it means, that you'd have to use Zidoos method of recovering the X9S, potentially loosing all user data in the process. Its a risk I'm not willing to take just checking for others.. ;)

2. As stated before "hiding root from certain apps" became a cat and mouse game between app developers and xposed module developers - and even If you hide root successfully - its still possible, that some DRM framework android ships with doesnt work, because Zidoo took it out of their Android build (thats what a mod in here alluded to), and the "popular streaming service" app still desnt work.

If someone has checked what apps that dont work because of "root found", work with an enabled root cloak module they are invited to post it here and share, but they probably shouldnt post the process as a how to here either... As there are certain risks attached to it - and people who have to ask for step by steps, probably arent fit for troubleshooting, when stuff goes wrong.

When I chose to install Xposed on the X9S, I found all the needed information about it online - its not that hard, but if you fail to look it up (ask away i you are unsure about a certain thing or step), you'll probably also have problems with looking up answers if stuff goes wrong.

Thats why "most easiest way - follow 5 steps", at least won't be posted by me here.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    videobruce and grapenose like this.
  9. n_p

n_p Active Member

Also - devs not speaking up, why Zidoo boxes come prerooted, is something in between odd and interesting.. ;) (But Zidoo Boxes do stuff, that Android usually doesnt (integration of HDMI recording, integration of the DDWRT subsystem) - so if you want to give them the benefit of the doubt... ;) ).

10. grapenose

grapenose Member

Your observation that you need a custom recovery like TWRP is spot on.
    Root Cloak didn't work for me.
    I notice there is another possibility over at xda with Chainfire and CF-Auto Root https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1980683
    but you need TWRP

11. n_p

n_p Active Member

You dont *need* TWRP (or any custom recovery) to install Xposed modules. In this thread - http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/never-again-a-zidoo.7302/#post-34595 - another user tried root cloak, got the desired effect (app didn't report the device to be rooted anymore), but didn't get streams to play anyhow (which would point at additional DRM frameworks missing from the Zidoo Android build).

TWRP is just a custom recovery, xposed modules can be installed without it (xposed can install them directly, if its got root access), its just that when stuff goes wrong - with TWRP you have easy file system access after the fact (and can delete a module should it have your system in a bootloop) and without it you can not (may have to use Zidoos reflash procedure - potentially loosing all userdata).

12. It was using Hide My Root not RootCloak. I could get RootCloak to work at hiding the root.

13. Compuman

Compuman New Member

maybe is an old post but i try:
    what is the best method to hide root?
    (if there is one)

with other boxtv android i use magisk+xposed (for magisk)

with zidoo i tried to install magisk manager but it don't work... or i have no success, is there a working install method for magisk?

i have to try xposed without magisk ?

it work with Zidoo x9s /x8 ?

thanks