Never again a zidoo

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by Tony23, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Tony23

Tony23 New Member

Hello, I must note that this zidoo is a horrible thing, I do not pretend that 'but that the film is smooth and with audio synchronization, unfortunately continues to do as it pleases and I always have to adjust the synchronization, never found anything like this in all the other models I've had for the last perfect mede8er in this respect. Never again a zidoo.

To further clarify the video starts well but after about 1 hour starts with the synchronization problem, in the video files with DTS audio the problem starts already after 20 minutes of viewing. The same videos on Mede8er or Himedia everything was always OK

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. Ayokoya

Ayokoya Member

Yeah, once in a while I come across a video that has a video/audio sync issue, it didn't bother me much in that I have zillions of other videos that don't have the sync issue, but it does bother me that to this date I still have not found a box that plays every video format, not even zidoo products.

Attached are the pictures of my android collections. Primary boxes are the zidoos that are all attached to 4 TVs of various sizes, they replaced various tronsmart boxes that I gave to relatives and friends, 6 non-zidoo boxes are in use, for evaluating questionable apks and security monitoring, plus the other box of some of my android players that I found next to worthless other than replacement in case the security devices in use craps out.

Having said all that, zidoo may not be perfect, but they are actively supporting firmware updates to the zidoo devices I have.

IMG_0115.JPG IMG_0114.JPG

3. grapenose

grapenose Member

Must agree.
    Trying to get a number of apps to work when it doesn't have Google accreditation has been very frustrating.
    It would help if I could install a custom recovery such as TWRP but this has been a fruitless so far.
    As I've posted before get Google accreditation or even more apps will not work in the future.

azat0 likes this.
  4. JJKK

JJKK Member Beta test group

I have not had a problem running any app. Exactly what apps are we talking about? I would like to give it a try..

5. n_p

n_p Active Member

Ah, nothing beats Millenials being annoyed about being Millenials. :)

"That video looses lipsync!"
    Is probably the videos fault.
    If it isn't, its probably the players fault - which Zidoo had to integrate for you folks to begin with - so it would be "more easy" (and potentially support some UHD formats). At least the ZDMC devs showed the foresight to allow you to fall back on Kodis internal player at the click of the "context menu" button over the file in Kodi. Of course millenials dont know how to use that. If it looses lipsync in Kodi - well, you have exceeded the capabilities of the best open source Video Player Software out there. And you are sure the file is not broken/corrupt?
    If this isn't it - its probably a format+chipset limitation (unlikely) at which point it becomes a market issue - because almost no Android TV Box vendor is interested in putting more expensive SOCs in. Good luck.

"It doesnt have Google accreditation."
    There is no such thing as "Google accreditation". Google certifies vendors to allow them "official playstore access", and I dont think a pre-rooted device will get that. ;) We could actually have a discussion, why Zidoo does need to mess with the Android security architecture - but it probably has to do with granting millennials popular features like NTFS support and HDMI recording. (Not sure - just a guess.). It still comes bundled with the Play Store App and google services, and I didnt have any issues in using it. Could you elaborate on the issue? Any Appstore App DRM should work if I'm not entirely mistaken - so whats the issue here?

"I have many Android boxes to "test questionable apks"" - eh, how?
    To check the connections they are establishing you use wireshark.
    Otherwise you are "protected" by the Android OSes security design that runs every app as if it was in its own sandbox" (if you dont use "userfaceing root"), unless someone would be able to "break out" - in which case, I doubt that almost anyone in here could "catch" that.
    Also - malware authors these days are almost more interested in serving you ads than anything else, because it usually makes them more money over a longer period of time, than trying to compete with other botnets for DDOS superiority. Also - on Android TV Boxes you hardly do security relevant stuff, google is able to remote delete "stark offenders" Apps from your device, and "unvolentary crypto currency mining" is now something that comes with the ad network framework you patch on your app for monetization... ;) (The more present point is, that its not exactly popular at this moment though - which is a good thing). I could be naive - but what are you "testing" on those boxes and how?
    adb shell top -m 10 ?

Should you have issues with Google Play Store DRM (allthough I am not quite sure i you are supposed to..;) ), there is always Lucky Patcher - which is a "highly suspect" App, if you and I have ever seen one... ;)

Point being - if you have lipsync issues in Kodi (internal player), please name the file format (use the Kodi info button) and bitrate, because if they are no exceptionally high, the issue in 99.99% of the cases is encoding related (the file). Kodi already uses the "best" codecs and render engines out there, so its hard to imagine, the video being handled better on any other device.

Once in a while they change hardware decoders/performance targets, so it might be benifical to try and install an older version (SPMC, FTMC, just to name a few forks, so you could install them "in parallel") - but thats it. You definitely dont "swap playback devices" because of lipsync issues. That just sounds like cludgy thing Millenials would recommend to each other, while stabbing in the dark with a frenzy - as usual.. ;)

Then you share a few pcitures, contemplate "never again" - and feel better.

TLDR; Never experienced any lipsync issues in Kodi that werent source related - apart from almost legacy .wmv files where strangely the open source codec performs worse that the proprietary one Microsoft wrote - on non Zidoo devices, about five years ago. So I'd be interested in specifics. Which are usually always absent from those reports - when your usual Millennial gives them.

Also, I'm not invested in the brand - I just have Zidoos products on a shortlist on the verge of being recommendable, so I'm interested in actually more than hearsay - if at all possible.

6. grapenose

grapenose Member

All 4 from the UK, Channel 5 from the UK, Netflix. ITV UK works.
    Other apps won't work because it they see it as rooted.
    All 4 sees it as rooted and not certified.
    BBC iplayer works for streaming but will not download shows.
    Foxtel Go (Australia) Android app will not work.
    You cannot hide your LAN useful when downloading from say All 4 and BBC iplayer.

I used to have a Minix and all the above worked I was hooked on the HDMI in as a feature and expected to have no problems with the Zidoo.

7. n_p

n_p Active Member

This is an issue with apps checking for a "security environment" in which the video DRM chain "has to be honored" then.

You have other postings in here documenting, that Zidoo doesnt not integrate/honor specific DRM Frameworks in their Android build. Another reason could be, that apps are checking and identifying the Zidoo Boxes as rooted. The second issue you could be able to circumvent with Xposed and a module like "root cloak" (root cloak not tested personally on a Zidoo device, xposed I have running). The first one you couldnt.

Also I have used xposed to successfully fake an active WLAN - even though I have deactivated the X9Ses WLAN, so specific apps would work over LAN. Again, thats just another module. Perhaps you could find one that hides LAN from specific apps as well (although admittingly, less likely).

The discussion why Zidoo Boxes are prerooted "out of the box" is a valid one we could have, afair Zidoo hasnt commented on it yet.

As far as "Downloding" in the BBC app goes, afair they use DRM protected formats as well - so downloads in that case would be device and app locked.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  8. Ayokoya

Ayokoya Member

When I mentioned testing questionable apks, I was referring to that runs in the background on every boot, regardless of whether you started it or not, and they randomly bring themselves to the foreground to trash what you were doing, and want you to accept their updates every few days, and there is nothing in the box settings to prevent them from auto start. Even after uninstalls, they leave behind dodos that over period of months, the box takes longer and longer to boot, one box has a record of over 30mins. Box reset only provide temporary solution on the sluggish boot, only re-imaging the kernal provides the solution, and so far, only Zidoo provide firmware images for the boxes I have. Images for other box brand, forget it, you'll be lucky if you get updates. I have bought a well known brand box with 3GB RAM S912, its been a year and still no first firmware update, and its amongst the pile of trashy boxes.

9. grapenose

grapenose Member

Tried rootcloak with xposed. Did not work.
    The app Hide my Root also did not work.
    Other Android devices allow BBC iplayer downloads. ie Minix and Samsung

10. I have used hide my root with ALL4 and the detection of root message is gone but if i try to play a video I get the unable to play video message.

11. n_p

n_p Active Member