HD Audio problems with automatic resolution / frequency switching

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by laola, Dec 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. laola

laola Member

Since the automatic switching (refresh rate / resolution) is implemented in the FW (1.4.19 and 1.5.0) I do have the issue that when I am playing UHD content with HD Audio (i.e. Atmos) that the souns stutters every 3-10 sec - I have the feeling the higher the overall bitrate the more stuttering is occuring.

However, when I am disabling the automatic switching and using correct manual settings (HDMI output set to 2160p/23.9HZ) - all audio formats as RAW output - then the picture is fine as well as the sound is playing fine without any stuttering.

I am using the X9S box with FW 1.5.0. connected to Denon X1300 AVR receiver. I also made a factory reset twice for the X9s. No improvement. There isn't any difference between using ZDMC and Kodi with Wrapper either. Nuplayer as external player is worse than the zidoo player. All of the settings are set to auto - except HDMI - set to 1080p/50Hz (for best liveTV experience). However, using HDMI=Auto (then the box sets the resolution to UHD) will have the bad result.

Any idee suggestion ? Because using the automatic resolution / fram reate wswitching is resulting in a superiour picture quality (in combination with my LG) - but the the sounds probems mentioned above (btw. 1080p content plays fine with Atoms sound)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  2. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

I had issues like this too. I replaced the cable with a shorter 4K certified cable and the problem disappeared. The cable that comes with the zidoo doesn’t do 4K/Atmos properly.

laola likes this.
  3. laola

laola Member

Honestly, because it is working without having the automated resulution/refresh rate switching on, I didn't believe in this suggestion. However, I tried several HDMI cables out of my spare parts -and with the 3rd cable, it is working :) So many thanks for your recommendation.

Having said this - the box is almost perfect for me right now. When Zidoo ever can make that the native Kodi could be used (incl. passthrough for HD audio and multi channel for LiveTV) - I would replace all my additional 4 RPi's with the Zidoo boxes...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  4. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

Any advice for a good HDMI cable?
    Better if available on Amazon ;)

TIA!!!

5. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

I always go on price point. $30 Canadian for a 1.5 meter is usually a starting point.

6. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

SaskMedia, OK, but I'm asking for brands and models.
    "Unluckily", price is not a quality guarantee, (your) direct experience is.
    If you don't want to advertize, please send me a PM.
    Else, don't worry :), I can ask about it to experienced users in italian AV forums, so I can buy at italian shops, if possible (but Amazon is still the simpler, reliable and fastest way to buy, if a brand/model is known)

7. nikos_a

nikos_a Active Member

Spending too much money on a HDMI cable is waste. Even hdmi.org posted a video a while back stating that there are no differences between cheap and expensive in terms of picture. It is all about "locking" and "not locking". For short cable, buy any cheap named cable, avoid el cheapo noname from eBay posted from China. For long cable 5+m, buy a descent one.

8. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

The cables I bought were from a local shop. They sell maestro hifi and use them on all of their installs.