X10 HDD or SDD

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by Alex1971, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Alex1971

Alex1971 New Member

Hi,
    I ordrered X10. While it's travelling to my address I'd like to buy an internal HDD or SSD.
    My priorities are maximum capacity, stable work without bags and minimum skills needed for installation
    What would you recommend? In particular, can I hope that 10Gb disk will work reliabely on X10?

2. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

seagate ironwolf if you want proper NAS hdd.

3. videobruce

videobruce Member

Installation should be the same (other than size). But, cost won't be. Other than that which is enough reason not to go the SSD route, the constant Read/Write will age a SSD far faster than a HDD. I'm sure they are better than a few years ago, but AFAIK, R/W ages SSD's much faster.

As to access time (except when you are doing a bulk transfer of files from one drive to another), that shouldn't be a issue with Media Players when just viewing.
    I would look for a 5400PRM vs 7200PRM HDD. Lower noise, lower power consumption & less heat. ;)

4. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

this post was 4 months old. i suspect he got his HDD by now.

5. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

But ssd have a 5 year gtee on them so get a replacement if any issues
    How long is a hdd gtee for ?

6. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

depends on HDD. 2-5 years, there is no real reason for a SSD tho. i can max my GB connection using a 5400 RPM 4TB HDD that costs the same as a 480GB ssd.

7. DELUCAS

I wanted complete silence
    5 year gtee
    And no heat issues .

And got my ssd at a very good price to .

8. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

The box fan is louder than a 5400 hdd

9. DELUCAS

My fan is never on for coming up to a year now hence why i went ssd
    Complete silence :)

10. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Did you ever measure box temps ? SSD can get very hot

11. DELUCAS

Had it connected and transfered movies over laptop took 6.5 hours plus
    And did not even get warm let alone any temp rise .
    So did not take any temp reading with gauge as found was same temp when not in use .

And just in case it is fitted to a thermal heat dissapation caddy .

Never had any issues and im sure a hdd would be more of a concern compared to a ssd regarding heat etc .

12. DELUCAS

But thanks for the concern HaoSs

13. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

yes. hdd generates more heat generally, i was just curious how temps of the ssd would measure with no fan on :) seen SSDs go up to 50 degrees depending on placement in pc.

14. DELUCAS

I do notice my 64gb usb drive when transfering a movie from laptop gets very hot ( metal outer casing )

But my ssd Samsung transfering for 6.5 hours just stayed at room temp .
    And my X10 is on just for Movie viewing so on max 3 hours then powered off .

Nearly a year now no crashing or odd issues ever with no fan on .
    :)

Will take temp readings after a movie watch .

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  15. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

In my experience the coolest setup and near silent is using a 2.5 inch HDD with an 3.5 inch converter. No need for a fan to run.
    Relative cheap too. Use this for my Music and Picture collection, movies are on external USB3 docking station.

There are converters (look physically like a 3.5 hdd) for 2.5 inch HDD/SSD which can be inserted next into 3.5 slots (some with easy loading for the 2.5 inch inside without using screws). Once inserted you can use it like a 3.5 inch HDD anywhere using any mounting. Bought a pair of those myself. Got an aluminium one (IB2535 series) from ICY Box for good cooling.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  16. DELUCAS

I went other route to mount mine
    Made of some type of thermal plastic with blade type fins to extract any heat
    Open as well so does not keep any poss heat inside .

So far my ssd has not seen any issues and in the excessive heat wave my way and a Plasma Monitor churning out Radiator heat in the summer not had any issues .

17. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Thermal pads can do an amazing job indeed. I was impressed what such a pad on the top-lid of Himedia Q10 Pro achieved. It worked amazingly well for cooling it and also silenced the HDD at the same time. Simple but great solution.