ZDMC Crashes when playing media with ext player

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by BuzzLtYear, Aug 27, 2017.

1. jmp1963

jmp1963 Member

Can you confirm whether you are using the internal (Kodi/ZDMC) player or the external (Zidoo) player?

I don't think there has really been an issue with the internal player in 17.x except that it plays 23.976 material at 24. Do you know if this has been fixed with 17.4?

Thanks.

2. X8fan

X8fan Member

That’s good to hear. Are you referring to the video setting in General settings or inside ZDMC? Or both?

3. BuzzLtYear

BuzzLtYear New Member

I can confirm I am using latest firmware and zdmc based on kodi 17.4.

Since I posted it was crashing when zdmc was passing off to external player - yes I can confirm its using external player not kodi. Its pretty obvious as with external player it starts to play in kodi blinks off then external player comes on and shows you what frame rate is and resolution etc. When kodi/zdmc was crashing for me before the external player usually kept playing and zdmc crashed. When you stopped playing media you are back at home page/desktop of android and have to restart zdmc.

The video setting that seemed to be causing issues was the one set in ZDMC. The one in android general settings always changed for me as my TV is slower to start the setting would switch from 4k that I had set to whatever it detects - usually 1080p.

4. jmp1963

jmp1963 Member

That's odd. I had my video resolution setting matched exactly in Android and ZDMC and every time ZDMC would crash with the Unfortunately . . . . message.

I think I'll stick with 16.1 until we finally get to the bottom of this ;). I really don't want to have to reinstall my whole library again!

5. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

you can export the library as 1 file, and import it again in new zdmc

6. jmp1963

jmp1963 Member

Yea, but sources and configuration files won't import correctly between major revisions so it's just as easy to reconfigure the whole lot. Not a task I'm going to risk just for it to still not work.

7. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

Unluckily for a "rooted" device, is not possible to do a "NANDROID Backup", that is able to save and restore absolutely ALL, like a "full disk image" on other platforms.
    It request only a fully compatible "TWRP Recovery"...
    (or is there a way to install it succesfully?)

8. X8fan

X8fan Member

Unfortunately I have set the ZDMC resolution to 1080p, the "unfortunately" bug still persists :(

9. jmp1963

jmp1963 Member

Are you playing your video files over a network accessed via smb? This seems to be the major cause of the "Unfortunately . . " bug. If I play files stored on local storage or by other network protocols the bug is less frequent. Is it possibly related to the SMB protocol changes recently introduced by the Kodi developers?

10. X8fan

X8fan Member

Yes I play files over network via smb. What other protocols are good alternatives?

11. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

Zidoo native player crashes seems really related to (even short) network connectivity "disconnections".
    X9S WiFi handling is not stable at my home. I choosed to use only 5 GHz band (2.4 is plagued by too much othet WiFi AP!!!), but also neighbors started to use the same band for the lower crowding. Now I have at least three other AP on the same channels. And I've also just verified that my X9S is unable to find and so to access to a channel higher then 112, on 116 it will note detect my WiFi network. May this depends on locale configuration? I know that WiFi channel range depends on country. Maybe Italy have this limit ?
    If true, is it possible to change in any way this limit?
    Verified almost twice that when player freezes or crashes, also Google Play Store shows "no network" (but WiFi icon on launcher is still green!)
    X9S is the only one device that have this "instability". my TV, tablet and smartphone never have the seam behaviour. And connect fine also ho higher channels.
    I'm going to cable my home (CAT6 UTP ethernet), I hope this will "solve" this problem. But this is NOT a issue solution, is a workaround.

12. mr starface

mr starface New Member

My X9S is connected via vable so not sure why accessing network shares would make the player crash but it does make the device unusable for me and if I had my time again would never have purchased and bought a shield instead I think

13. jmp1963

jmp1963 Member

Going back to ZDMC 16.1 works for me - see my earlier post. If you want to stay on ZDMC 17.x I had limited success by sharing my library from another instance of Kodi that I have running on a Wetek Hub though I'm sure that any other Kodi device would do. If I played video files shared this way the external player didn't crash. I also did limited tests sharing files via NFS and this also seemed stable. It does seem to be related to the Zidoo box accessing files via SMB.

Hope this helps ;)

JMP

14. kalima

kalima New Member

Same crash here with ZDMC 17.3 and firmware 1.4.12 (RJ45 Connection)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  15. Prometheus

Prometheus Member

Same thing here, running the latest software on my box 1.4.12. I am accessing all my files through Ethernet 1Gb from my NAS to my X10 through SMB and sometimes not all the time, the "unfortunately...." message pops up. I will try to do it with a different sharing protocol, such as NFS or SFTP to see if it's crashing or not. no problem though with my internal 10Tb drive.

Where can I find a stable ZDMC 16.1 for my X10 and reinstall it on my box. With 16.1 I observed no crash. These crashes drive me a little bit crazy.
    Thanks

16. X8fan

X8fan Member

This is one of the most essential but also longest outstanding bugs, is Zidoo team prioritizing the fix for this, instead of launching new features?

17. Ekul

Ekul Active Member

This is inherent on Android and kodi.
    Android os was never designed for media playback in 4k with hdr and all audio passthrough, its a smartphone os for telephones.
    What we need is a os written only for realtek 1295. Just like the good old Mede8er. So i think we all have to accept the fact this player will never be good. No matter whatever firmware will be released.

18. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

you can't judge a player just because a option in ZDMC is not working properly, you can still use zdmc without the external player, or use the external player by itself ( there is also a new thumbnail wall coming for it in next firmware )

19. X8fan

X8fan Member

Has anyone tried ZDMC 17.6? Does the crash still happen with the latest version?

20. Michele985

Michele985 New Member Beta test group

Maybe i'm lucky but with 17.6 build (and even the previous one) zdmc crash has happened just a couple of times. The movies plays fine and at the end (or when i choose to exit) i get back to zdmc.

I share contents from a Mac using smbup (ethernet connection).

What i 'miss' is the (sort of) mark as watched feature that was present using the 16.# builds.