New firmware v1.4.12 version for ZIDOO X9S release

Discussion in 'X9S Official Firmware Releases' started by mirror, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Dun74

Dun74 New Member

Hi,
    I flashed the new firmware. No problem with the install. The file was on my external drive plugged in and configured as samba share etc..
    But now big problem. My external drive is not recognized anymore. Even plugged on my laptop, it is "uninitialized". I had 1To of data on it, I do not understand how the upgrade could affect it like this.
    Any advice ?

2. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

You must "recover" your lost partition.
    A friend of mine, for another reason (unreliable USB Hub between PC and USB HDD) had the same problem.
    The best program we found to solve this issue was "Active Partition Recovery"
    Maybe someone other can hint another free or open source program to do the same.

3. Mumakil

Mumakil Member Beta test group

I always unplug my hard drives when I upgrade the firmware.
    Once I had forgotten one and since, it is well recognized by the Zidoo in USB 3, but it is just recognized in USB 2 by my PC.
    When I plug it into a USB 3 socket on my PC, it asks me to reformat it .....

4. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

On windows use diskpart, it work for me. I have that issue with sata disk, in the future I will disconnect my HDD. After upgrade size show 50℅ used.... But in fact it was empty. Google diskpart to have full info on how to use it... Be carefull since all your disk will be there and it is a dangerous and quick utility.

Edit: you will lost all content using dispart.

5. DolbyVision

DolbyVision New Member

Nice update, Zidoo. All color problems from 1.4.8 for My LG Oled are gone. Picture now looks good on default settings.
    But there is still one issue with 1080p/2060 switching, described in http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/switch-between-1080p-and-4k-resolution.5467
    Can you fix this? That's kind of annoying for me.

And also in auto HDMI(1080p) setting Zidoo interface looks bright and nice, but in 2060p setting the interface looks greyed out, not as bright and beautiful. Seems strange to me. But it's not important for me as long as videos look good.

6. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

If your HDD content is visible in some kind of connections, is not a partition lost problem.
    Maybe some marginality in your USB3 port on PC.
    On my home PC, an old but slightly udated HW, I had a lot of headaches finding the right USB3 card and the right USB3 cables (quality and length) to connect and permanently access my external HDD...
    Sorry, no more advices.

7. bob

bob Active Member Zidoo TECH Supporter

I have updated this thread.
    thanks.
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/switch-between-1080p-and-4k-resolution.5467/
    thanks

8. nikos_a

nikos_a Active Member

Why should we have something broken with every new firmware? This time, deep color (x.v.Color) is broken. Up to 1.4.6, my Panasonic VT30 could display the x.v.Color with Deep Color and Color Space set to auto. With 1.4.12, x.v.Color cannot be detected. I played with all possible options in Deep Color Mode (12/10 bit), Color Space (YCbCr422 is recommended for my set but also tried YCbCr444), HDMI Range (Auto, Limited, Full) and combinations but x.v.Color is 100% broken. I cannot believe that with every firmware, we go one step forward and ten steps backwards.

As a notice, I attach two images, one from x9s and one from Mede8er 600x3D where it clearly shows that it is locked in x.v.Color. I will give this box one more chance, one more firmware otherwise it will be given to a friend for free. I cannot even ask for money for this mess.

x9s.jpg

med.jpg

9. Mumakil

Mumakil Member Beta test group

@PacoRabanne : I also think it comes from my PC and not from my HDD .....
    thank you for your reply.

10. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

nikos_a

Trouble is 99 percent of android boxes have some kinda issues or bug
    You could switch to another make Android device and have another issue which could be worse ......

If previous firmware worked ok revert back to that .
    If you want an ultimate playback device revert to an oppo 203 as such but that had huge issues for a while and that was 3 times the price .

No Device is perfect you just gotta try and see which firmware plays nicely with your system and stick to it .

11. nikos_a

nikos_a Active Member

DELUCAS, I know what you say and I agree. About the issue, it used to work prior to 1.4.12 and I am really curious to see what Zidoo techs will say. Why is it broken? I never had an issue with colors (well a few minor ones but x.v.Color was working since I got the box) and now it is broken. I can go to a previous one ONLY if I know what is causing this and if it will be fixed. Otherwise, there's no point to stay with older f/w and miss features will be added in the future. In this case, I better go to a mini PC and never look back to android boxes.

12. DELUCAS

nikos_a

Well this update is a beta as such and if we did not have access to this site we would still be on firmware 1.3.0 ;)
    A new firmware will be out soon .
    Just be patient .
    Revert back
    Or jump ship .....

You may have isses with mini pc also ?
    At least it plays your movies but not 100 percent colours right .

Mine has Black crush issues which for now i need to adjust etc :(
    But it plays back fine and picture looks v good on my Pioneer Monitor

If i switched no doubt id find something else maybe worse .
    Least we have updates often one day we will get there . :)

13. boblo

boblo Member

@nikos_a : If you want perfect color accuracy, you must switch to a Linux media center, like Dune HD Solo 4K or Popcorn Hour A-500. They are limited devices, with a limited app store, limited YouTube, they have no HDR support, old HDMI 1.4 interface, only USB 2.0 ports (no USB 3), you can't install Kodi and must use its built-in networked media jukebox (NMJ)... but in return you get an almost perfect playback (including a *working* auto resolution and auto frame rate switching). You must choose between best PQ/AQ (Linux media centers with Sigma chipset) and versatility with very good (but not excellent) PQ/AQ (SoCs such as Realtek or HiSilicon designed to work with Android OS). There is no perfect solution in this world, even if you have the money, unfortunately. You must choose the device that meets your needs better.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    pcristi likes this.
  14. va-x

va-x New Member

После прошивки на 14.12 каждые 5 секунд, появится сообщение, пока все прошивки были установлены без каких-либо проблем, пытаясь поставить 1.2.11. Приставку покупал год назад.

Attached Files:

15. nikos_a

nikos_a Active Member

The best option is NUC. However, the thing in question here is why they broke x.v.Color. It was working before.

16. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

+1 for me..
    It's was working in previous fw (until 1.4.8) and now don't.. :cool::(
    Please fix it !
    Thx a lot

17. zone555

zone555 New Member

I remember we both posted our frustrations with ZDMC and the lack of true audio passthrough API. A couple weeks ago my patience ran out, and I bought a competitor's media player, I will probably be banned for mentioning other products but the vendor also manufactures GPUs ;)

All I can say is, why didn't I get one of these sooner? I simply installed Kodi from the Play Store, configured it to point to my NAS, and I was up and running within 5 minutes, no joke. HD audio passthrough, 23.976, no Kodi hacks or wrappers. Played all my media perfectly, no stutter.

It also doubles as a Google Cast receiver, just send YouTube videos from my phone to it.. plays on my TV instantly. Can't ask for more.

Netflix 1080p/4K with Dolby Digital+ audio.. finally.

I have downgraded my Zidoo to bedroom duty, in hopes one day it will realize its potential.

18. boblo

boblo Member

You can tell us the name of your new media player, believe me, there is no censorship in this forum (I've seen other angry users in the X6 Pro subforum claiming another competitors). Naturally your new media center it's a nVidia Shield... The Shield was in my short list, but I don't like it's a hybrid between game console and media player and I've read from other users that PQ is not as good as Zidoo or Himedia, even with all updates installed. But yes, it's a rock-solid device with almost no bugs (but cannot play 3D files). nVidia did a good work.

I'm thinking in buying another media player for my needs too... probably a Popcorn Hour A-500 Pro with a good discount (best PQ/AQ ever seen in a media center, including an audiophile 32-bit DAC and limited Android support, although you can install Kodi without hardware acceleration). Its firmware is very polished with just a few bugs.

And now let's stay on topic because moderators could get annoyed...

19. DELUCAS

Sadly the popcorn hour pro is Hdmi 1.4 !

So you will be stepping backwards so to speak .
    And now Hdmi 2.1 coming soon ......

20. boblo

boblo Member

I don't need 3D nor 4K nor HDR. My TV is Full HD and has a HDMI 1.3 connection. If you don't need all the bells and whistles of modern Android boxes, it's perfect, very stable and has unrivaled picture and audio quality.