Resolved openWRT and Samba

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by Neustrie, May 28, 2017.

1. Neustrie

Neustrie New Member

hi,

since 5 days i don't have General Setting and Edit template for the Samba configuration.

i canot connect to my zidoo from another computer (and share of course)

how to access to the genral setting ?

another question, i install the NAS kit, he ask me everytime to reboot, and i never access one the port 18888

thanks

i've the last firmware : 1.4.4 :confused::confused::confused:

Attached Files:

2. n_p

n_p Active Member

Can't help you with your problem directly, but I'd like to offer up some input on the nature of OpenWRT.

The X9S is a strange thing. :) Its a mashup of the very best "geek" solutions to the obvious problems that any customer wanting a TV Box would come across eventually. And even then it chooses to present you with frontend options, that are necessary for that (1080p 50/60/24hz switch, YCbCr 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 toggle, ..), which no other manufacturer ever would do, because it is presenting you with "the complexity necessary" to get stuff working correctly -- over just presenting you the notion of "its so easy".

I love it for that. Its the most value for money "soon to be around 12o USD" device you will ever buy.

That said, the "idea" that this can be made "user friendly" for an audience that has a notion of "getting this to work" or even "servicing it" - via remote, is insane.. ;)

OpenWRT arguably is the most potent "extended router functionality framework" there is. As such, and because it is under constant development, people that "stuck with it" are somewhat expected to be able to ssh (or telnet) into a linux system and configure it via the command line. Its so potent, because of a packet manager thats not even hinted at in the GUI interface, for starters... :)

Simply put, people who normally use OpenWRT (or DD-WRT) are not the ones that start questions with "it stopped working five days ago, what do I do". :) Therefore the "solutions" to issues can very well be for example -

- to delay the startup op a certain service for 10 seconds via a startup script
    - to force close a daemon and launch it again, first finding out the process id, then...
    - to edit a config file that is not accessible via the gui at all
    - to flash a prior version of open-wrt because of a regression that has yet to be fixed

If you take that set of requirements, and prop over it a notion, that there could be a frontend, thats even simpler than the OpenWRT GUI, that has to be navigateable via a TV remote - hilarity ensues.

Its not that its necessarily an impossible thing to pull off - but if something "doesn't work as expected" -- almost the next step is to ask the user to trubleshoot his/her home network (why isn't port 18888 accessible?!), and that done on a level (does OpenWRT respond, is the service running, does the service respond, what does the log say, ...), that no - I repeat NO one who grew up "on iDevices primarily", will be able to do. Ever. In their life. (Exaggerating just a little. :) )

Its also something that "the internet" usually wont and can't help you with, because the complexity far exceeds your usual app recommendation or five step tutorial. In fact, as a general rule - network issues you have, are yours to figure out. Regardless of "where on the internet" you look (people help you with learning that stuff, they don't help you with "fixing your problem").
    -

Now to the positive side: OpenWRT usually is very reliable and stable. If something breaks, its usually something you have done (arguably five days ago.. ;) ). As a result of that, almost all issues (with the device itself - if you have access to port 18888 might be a different issue) can be solved by reseting Open-WRT.

I have no experience on how this "is done" on the X9S (I'm currently doing all that stuff on a compatible router), but I'm sure someone else can tell you how this is done.

Also "buttons vanishing" is not a thing Open-WRT does as part of its "normal operation". ;) So whatever you did "five days ago" - probably was the cause of that. If it turns out to be a Firmware Update issue, I'm sure zidoo will support it, if it turns out to be "anything else", I'm sure they can't. ;)

I'm usually no fan of "have you tried factory resetting the device" help advice, but in this case it might be a quite decent troubleshooting step. Because you are literally stuck between "how do I fix this via a remote" and "so complex, you have to learn how it works in detail, before people will start to be able to help you" ("stopped working five days ago - here is a screenshot of some text boxes" doesnt cut it, when you are trying to tackle OpenWRT issues - in those cases you are talking about "already having read the log files, and having stumbled over a process, that put out an error message someone might be able to help you with, in general.). So backup your Kodi/ZMBC data, and start thinking about this notion, that this might be required... :)

If no one in here helps you to reset the Open-WRT "part" of the X9S separately that is. There is still every possibility that thats possible.. :) So maybe wait a few more days, before you do... :)

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    freeroc and PacoRabanne like this.
  3. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

naskit is not for x9s. will not work on it.

reset openwrt, should bring up settings you are missing

4. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

5. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

And check your computer is capable to explore samba servers in the Lan.
    Shut down all the 3rd firewall. Check all the necessarily service such as "server" "workstation"...are running.

6. Neustrie

Neustrie New Member

after reseting openWrt all is fine, thanks

7. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

Okay