Resolved Zidoo X9S, upgrade tp KODI 17.3.

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by kiwi, May 27, 2017.

1. kiwi

kiwi New Member

I have this message that came up yesterday to upgrade to KODI 17.3. Is there a simple step by step guide how to upgrade as my Ziddoo X9s is connected to my ISP Network. Will it affect my ZMBC addons?

2. n_p

n_p Active Member

You should seriously consider learning a bit about Kodi, before you ask about how to do this stuff.

First, the notification you get, you can more or less safely (currently less.. ;) because of the code execution bug in the subtitle engine that got fixed with 17.3) ignore. You get it as soon as Kodi sees a new stable build thats out there.

Second, you have to conceptualize what ZDMC is. ZDMC at this stage basically acts as a User Interface fontend for zidoos own video player - they took Kodi, and changed the default player (for most formats) to another app they installed on the device. The reason they did it is twofold (+1 ;) ).

1. It allows their integration of auto framerate switching to work (if there is a way to get it work with Kodis internal player software hit me up, I'd be very interested)
    2. It gives them slightly better playback perfomance on demanding higher framerate 4k h265 decodes.
    3. They use it to try and get a tighter system integration - so for example, their 17.x based ZDMC build requires the 1.4.4 Firmware (or newer) to work (apparently ;) ).

Third, they did ZDMC the right way. They basically made a "full conversion", changing both the app title, as well as the folder structure in /sdcard/Android/data/ where Kodi/ZDMC store all data (including addons, addon data, user data ...)

This offers you two options -

1. You can install Kodi as a stand alone application, no problem. Kodi will use its own application name and data folder, so there won't be any conflict whatsoever. You can run both ZDMC and (stock) Kodi on the same machine.
    2. Once you do, you can/could copy over ZDMCs data files from /sdcard/Android/data/zdmc.something.something/.zdmc/ to /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/.kodi/ thereby taking all your addons and settings with you.

For that to happen you have to know how a filesystem works (you know, NOT like your iPhone, or the Chromebook most people get to "learn" at school these days), and how to display hidden folders (.zdmc and .kodi are hidden folders), and how to access your Android box with a gui file explorer interface (aafm is a adb based one, Total Commander for Windows also has an adb plugin, that does that - you could also set up an smb or ftp server that would allow you file system access) -- or, you could use an android file explorer that you navigate via the TV remote (I recommend Total Commander (Android Version)) to copy them over.

Which brings us to

Fourth, because you specifically asked for "simple" - chances are that you dont know what a file system is, that you dont know what a file explorer is, that you perhaps won't manage to get "file explorer" access to your x9s (even though its not hard, really), that you won't be able to figure out how to see a hidden folder, that you won't be able to make sense of Kodis data structure (even though it really is a prerequisite to using it in any real capacity, because if something breaks, because of an addon, what do you do? A factory reset? Why?), ... - therefore, just wait until zidoo offers an update to ZDMC, and when the company doesn't support the X9S anymore, buy a new piece of hardware. Because hey its the "simple" way.

edit: edited out the ZBMCs :)

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    freeroc likes this.
  3. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

ZDMC* , there is no ZBMC.
    the external player in ZDMC is just a option that is turn on by default( not sure why), you can turn it off and have pure kodi with working passtrough and refresh rate switch

4. n_p

n_p Active Member

Thank you for the information, much appreciated. :)

Using the default Kodi player gives you more granular time skip options with left/right, the info interface for decoding, cache and codec infos, and most importantly - the familiar UI you have used for the past 10 years, and be it just for the Pause indicator.. ;) Also better subtitle font rendering, ...

The external player has its benefits too though - scaling for example seems to be better than with Kodis default. DVD iso compatibility also for some reason is higher as well.. :)

5. n_p

n_p Active Member

Auto Frame rate switching within Kodis native player seems to have been added in the ZDMC 17.1 beta, which requires firmware 1.4.4 to be installed, which isn't compatible with the HDCP removal hack for the hdmi recording apk, published by another user of this forum. :)

6. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

yah, the HDCP hack has not received update from the guy that made it.

n_p, You have HDCP content ? I'd like to make a test if you have time. PM me .

7. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

It won't affect your ZDMC addons.
    And thx n_p for the comprehensive explanation