Anyone compare DV Zidoo vs. Bluray player?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Charles Lee, May 17, 2023.

1. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

I didn't even know the Oppo existed until I got a Zidoo and started reading this forum, where some people were praising the Oppo as having better PQ lol. Before that I just used the Shield (which I am very happy to not have to use. God I hate plex so much. I could go on for hours about why i hate it)

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Can't decide which I dislike the most, Kodi or Plex. Probably Plex.

xskip likes this.
  3. Jimbo Randy

Plex is making it so you can't even use it locally without creating a plex account and claiming the server. They say it's for security reasons (since unclaimed = insecure) but I disagree. Using an unclaimed account disables remote access anway... And if your local network has good security then you should be covered. If your network is already breached then you have much larger problems than an intruder into your plex library....no.... they clearly just want to collect data on everyone and encourage people to buy their pass. I bet soon they won't even offer plex at all unless you pay. That was the last straw for me. I still use Plex on our bedroom Roku TV but I'll be switching that over to Jellyfin or something else probably. It's just total BS. If you just need to use something locally then you shouldn't need to make a damn account and have it periodically require internet access. It reminds me of always online single player games with DRM.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  4. Charles Lee

Charles Lee New Member

Didn't like Plex when I tried it years ago, but I prefer Kodi. It's way better than the HT4 on the Zidoo. I might have to try installing ZDMC on it.

5. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

You should install, so you can try and choose which one to use. There is no issue having both on the Zidoo.
    I look for reliability for the database (with a large library and multiple sources) and highest quality in video and audio playback.
    ZDMC/Kodi on the Zidoo still works best for my daily use (and has been rock solid with 4K using Gigabit SMB and HDD's). :cool:

6. Jimbo Randy

Just curious - what are your critisisms on Kodi? I've only used ZDMC but from what I've seen, I think the options are convoluted and some seem outdated. The Zidoo's options seem way more straight forward.

7. Markswift2003

Kind of exactly that - it's just bloated and no-one seems to have thought it through. I always kind of describe it as if someone threw a load of code at a wall and kept what sticks.

I know loads of people love it, but to me it seems to be trying to do too much very badly. And as for the skins! For goodness sake - most just look like the result of a rabid teenager's hormone imbalance!

YMMV ;)

8. Markswift2003

And Plex is the same just with a big pile of horse s**t dumped on top.

9. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

I love Plex….

Markswift2003 likes this.
  10. Jimbo Randy

Plex has good UI design and great library management. Its matching algorithm or method or whatever does a really good job. But everything else about it infuriates me. I have a feeling they're going to paywall all of it within the next few years.

11. Markswift2003

That's the thing - we're all different, with different wants and likes - and I think that's one of the things that makes this hobby great.

Phil181 and leonkoum like this.