Recommended SSD Drives

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by groglein, May 23, 2023.

1. groglein

groglein New Member

I probably went overboard and bought a Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB SSD drive. It didn't appear after I installed it, but there was an unknown drive and so I tried to format it to exFat. The format only took seconds to complete, but now I don't see it at all. Is there an issue with PCIe 4.0 drives? Should I try a PCIe 3.0 drive? Is there something that someone has tried that works?

Thanks

2. Napoli

Napoli New Member

I just installed a Samsung 970 Evo Plus and had no problems with it. I formatted it with NTFS

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Support M.2 NVMe 3.0 SSD is in specifications. Using very fast 4.0. (or 5.0) SSD (more expensive) does not improve performance as it is not the limiting factor but should still work.

In fact the manual should state support specifically too and add some proven to work examples.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  4. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

5. Napoli

Napoli New Member

6. Bkido

Bkido New Member

Firmware update pushed it up to 4TB

Napoli likes this.
  7. Burki

Burki Member

8. groglein

groglein New Member

I did notice after I posted that NVMe 3.0 was listed in the specifications in the user manual, so installed a Samsung 970 Evo Plus as mentioned above and that worked fine. I'm planning to build a Roon Server, so I'll using the Samsung 990 Pro in that to store my music.

9. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

so the link to the card this is the one you used?

10. Burki

Burki Member

11. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

great thanks will order one

12. Nice Monkey

It is about double the price of an 2.5 inch HDD with same 4 TByte size. Not that bad.
    Thanks' for sharing.

Reported by others is that the SSD gets fairly hot. So I recommend to get a version with a heatsink included.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  13. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

Yes a good price with discount, only problem for me can not order at moment until my unit arrives in July. So hope price remains the same. No way i can test NVMe to see if works until then.

14. Charlyro222

Charlyro222 New Member

A few days ago I also tried with a PCIe 4.0 with no succes, like you, but then I attached that Nvme to an USB Nvme adapter and format on a PC, after that can be recogniced on a6 without problems.
    Maybie theres a bug on firmware when formating PCIe 4.0 Nvme drives , but if you can format before attaching to a6, you will have no problems whith that version.

Cheers

15. Desmodromic

Desmodromic Member

The photos on the Zidoo/Eversolo website show a 2Tb Kingston NVMe PCIe 4.0 fitted in the device. So that's exactly what I bought. I can't test it though, as my A6 is not due for delivery till mid June. Hope it works OK.

16. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

Just bought a Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB. Let's see what happens.

Nice Monkey likes this.
  17. Nice Monkey

Good check.

Please have a look at it's temperature too. I see it is sold with and without a heatsink.
    In a PC with adequate airflow it likely can do without in a closed unit like DMP-A6?

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  18. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

My A6 hasn’t shipped yet, would a heatsink fit in the SDD slot?

19. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I know this isn't really helpful, but probably - it depends how big it is.

There's not a huge amount of room in there but you can always leave the door off..

!cid_232f3356-0f25-441a-9cba-5f6d22c14288@winuk.jpg

ammar11 likes this.
  20. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Thanks Mark! Looks like it could fit but yes need to know the heatsink size also.

This will be my first ever streamer, so excited about it.