Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

No, as others have said, it would ideally be presented at 48Hz, however, that's not as easy as you'd expect.

Although CTA-861 allows for refresh rates of 47.95 and 48Hz, I don't ever recall seeing an EDID, and therefore a display, that supports the VICs (Video Identification Code) required for it.

Ostensibly that's VIC 108-116 for standard HDMI2 resolutions (and a smattering of others for 5K, 8K and 10K in the latest CTA specs).

So I'd have to assume it'd either be released in 24Hz or telecined to 50/59/60Hz. If it is released in 48Hz, every display I've ever seen would present it in 24Hz.

Either way the HFR content will still look like Go-Pro footage...

2. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

I feel like HFR is just a big nothing burger and not necessary in the slightest :-/. I am going to check out the avatar 2 blu-ray when it releases. I am interested to see which framerate it sends over. I assume it will be 24hz as well. Maybe that's how HFR fits into this? Maybe TVs will start to support 48hz? Either way, I really don't see the need for framerates above this. I agree it will look like gopro footage.

3. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

If Avatar 2 UHD gets HFR release it will get bumped to 60fps like Gemini Man. I would like that :)
    Even better if 3D gets released in Japan or Germany :D

4. Markswift2003

HFR is very divisive - some love it, some hate it and bizarrely, some don't even notice!

Personally, I'm firmly in the hate camp - to me it looks like it was shot on a Go-Pro, albeit a very good one. Good for nature documentaries on Discovery and live news feeds, but not story telling and absolutely not cinema.

Letmein, B0RN and xskip like this.
  5. Jimbo Randy

Personally I feel like it's just a way for James Cameron to **** himself off and say that he's improving cinema. And the industry eats it up for breakfast lol. But that's just my cynical view! I'm not even excited to see Avatar 2. The first one was really dumb in my opinion. I'm going to get it purely as eye candy on my LG C1.

You can pump as much money and time into CGI as you want, but if the story itself is dog**** then you just have a bad movie.

B0RN and rozel like this.
  6. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

24fps is an old technology dating back to celuloid black and white movies. Sooner or later we have to move forward. The first attempt was The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) shot in 48fps and criticized all around. Avatar 2 is trying to edge it in slowly with motions scenes jumping to 48fps and keeping dialogues back at 24. They even got new name for it: "TrueCut Motion". The movie was meant to be seen in 3D that suppose to immerse audience in the movie. 24fps is just too slow for 3D. Strobing motion does not allow to be part of the movie.

My 2 cents.

7. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I saw Avatar 2 in 3D at the local multiplex with a group of friends. Eye candy travelogue was my description. It would be interesting from a technical perspective to see how it looks via a file. Won’t hold my breath

8. Jimbo Randy

Fair enough. But 99.999999% of people don't watch movies in 3D at home. I'm personally surprised that's still a thing at home. I thought home 3D movies and tvs were a gimmick from the early 2000s that died out ages ago, haha. In that case yes, 24p is probably pretty jarring. But for 2D cinema it is still fine in my opinion.

Bill-Z9X and rozel like this.
  9. Markswift2003

Early 2000s?

I remember when they turned up for a brief time in the 80s and every DOP and his dog shoved pointy sticks at the cameras.

It comes and goes roughly every 30 years...

(I've genuinely sat in a cinema with my kids holding a hand over one eye watching a 3D movie waiting for it to be over ;) )

10. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I still have my Samsung 65" 3D TV, retired to the guest room. Always gave me a headache and or eye ache. I remember in the 1950's seeing a couple of 3D movies with red and blue cellophane glasses! Bwana Devil and Kiss Me Kate I remember, my mum was the pianist in a theatre orchestra putting on Kiss Me Kate so she wanted to see it. As a teenager I was bored ****less :)

Markswift2003 likes this.
  11. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

A lot of 3D TV's were low end reducing resolution or having a bad flicker on active displays. The last couple of years of 3D with 4K panels OLED and 3D passive glasses started to show its potential. Unfortunately market was already saturated with unexpensive units killing 3D for everybody. Active glasses were a real challenge and it needed some work. LCD crystals are too slow for the glasses and TV or projector. Glasses were always operating at 60Hz on 24fps movies. It produced uneven exposure of frames per eye. Without good frame interpolation it was horrible to watch plus ghosting in dark scenes from slow responding LCD's.

So don't try it at home unless you have a good stuff :D. If anybody wants to see 3D head over to the theater for professional set up with laser projectors and passive glasses :).

You have to use both eyes :D

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  12. vince32837

vince32837 New Member

Hi Mark & Zidoo Users-

I am new to the Z9X camp.... I still have my Shield for streaming//youtube... I have My Z9X hooked up to external hard disks local (one at a time) done! No server games for me. I will be playing ISO and MKV rips, 95% UHD.
    Audio & video path for me is Z9X>>>>ALT 16>>>>NZ8 projector >>>>>2.40 scope screen. This thread is massive and informative. Do you suggest I go with your "GO TO" blue text settings you have in post #1 or do I deviate for the NZ8 in anyway?

and a side ?- I noticed the Z9X allows you the option of selecting aspect ratios on the player, is it better to put the Zidoo on 2.35 ratio to almost match my 2.4 screen or leave 1.78 and play lense games in the projector which is what I do for a shield.

thanks
    Vince

13. Markswift2003

Yeah, I'd stick with the blue recommendations for an NZ8.

The only change may be to set the Resolution to Auto if you like the GUI in 60Hz since the NZ8 has a fairly fast HDMI sync - up to you - it only affects the GUI. Personally I prefer 4K23.

And the aspect settings - you'd have to suck it and see - the masked option isn't worth looking at as it just soft masks the GUI. The compressed option simply compresses the GUI image vertically so it depends if you could get used to that. It also masks 1.78/1.85 content, so again, not ideal. Again, personally I'd stick with the your lens games and leave it on 1.78:1.

14. vince32837

vince32837 New Member

Mark-
    Thanks for the quick advice!
    Vince

15. Jimbo Randy

From what I can see online, the C6 (2016) was the last LG OLED to support 3D. Then they dropped it lol. Also just realized that LG's TV numbering is very stupid. They went like C6, 7, 8, 9, X, then back to 1 lmfao.

16. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Yeap, 2016 is when it all ended. I got OLED E6 65" step up from C6 you mentioned last of its kind. Still good TV, OLED, 4K with DV, HDR and best 3D experience possible on home TV :D

Charliecossie likes this.
  17. Edworld

Edworld Member

HDR to SDR

What does this setting do and why is there 2 bright settings?

Thanks

18. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

UHD3000 loses the HDR -> LLDV setting. It doesn't matter whether I do this via settings or advanced settings (Android). I set, use the player (movies, IPTV via TiViMate), initially works, but doesn't take long and TV OSD shows HDR.
    If I try extra to play different media and IP TV, the setting stays. If I don't pay attention to it, it resets to Auto. Is there a solution to keep the setting on LLDV?
    Thanks!

19. ChuckM

ChuckM New Member

Hello all,

I have a zidoo z9x , connected to a epson ls12000 via a vertex2.

I have zidoo set to VS10 engine for all content (SDR, HDR and DV), and it seems to be working ok.

The issue that I have is that the HT4 interface now looks ugly, the colours are way oversaturated. It used to look sleek and savvy.

Ls12000 using dynamic mode...

Zidoo:
    Display/HDR: Dolby Vision VS 10 (SDR, HDR, DV)
    Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV444 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 8BIT
    Display/Color Settings/HDMI Color Region: 16-235
    Display/HDMI Mode: auto

Any one else had this? any advice to rectify?

Cheers

Chalky.

20. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Based on what you have written I wonder if your GUI /HT4 looks different because you actually are NOT using VS10 for everything like you say you are..... VS10 for ALL content includes the GUI.. you appear to have manually selected VS10 to be used for SDR, HDR and DV content only. Most likely everything is being sent as HDR except for your GUI which is being sent as SDR and you are using a picture mode on your projector which really makes that look different. Then again, I do not know what you are doing with your vertex2 as far as it's setting as well though....so just guessing.