Z1000 Pro Unnatural Skin Tone

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Rickboy62, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Rickboy62

Rickboy62 New Member

Hi All,
    I've noticed while playing my ISO files that people's faces particularly around the neck and jawline have a much darker appearance almost like a birthmark. The effect isn't noticed as much on clothes. My zidoo is connected directly to my projector (AWOL LTV 3500) and audio separately to my denon amp so the amp isn't processing any video. I haven't made any picture adjustments either to the projectir. My last projector (Panasonic PTAE 8000) showed the same effects so not an issue with the projector. I have the zidoo set up as per Markswifts instructions. For comparison I have also played the same movie on physical disc with my Panasonic ub820 and there are no artefacts on people's faces so appears to be the zidoo. Any advice on what adjustments or settings would be appreciated. I have uploaded a picture of the movie so you can see the effect on the guys face. 20230323_225143.jpg

2. JohnG

JohnG Member

By chance is the Zidoo thinking the video is Dolby Vision, when the movie is not?

3. Rickboy62

Rickboy62 New Member

I have the HDR mode set to "AUTO" so it should be sending thru the same quality as the original. I have noticed it on avi, mkv, iso files which can be either be in 4k or 1080P resolution.

4. JohnG

JohnG Member

It might be worth experimenting. Quick Fix: swap out your HDMI cable and see if a new cable "fixes" the problem. Another Fix: Next time you play a video and see that the color is wrong, disable the Auto mode for HDR and choose the option that fits your video (HDR or SDR). If that fixes the problem, it would seem that the "Auto" feature isn't communicating properly with your display. Good Luck!

5. Rickboy62

Rickboy62 New Member

Thanks JohnG. I have new cables so can remove them out of the equation. I'll try fiddle around with the settings. I thought leaving HDR on auto would be the best setting as I really don't want to adjust settings for each movie I'm watching.

6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Can you post your EDID:

To Download EDID
    ================

Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID

Save to a USB stick or network location.

Change the file extension from .bin to .txt to upload to the forum

(The forum won't accept .bin files)

Also - what HDR format are the files - SDR, HDR10, HDR10+ or DV?

gymnos likes this.
  7. Rickboy62

Rickboy62 New Member

Hi Markswift,

thanks for chiming in - much appreciated. I have uploaded my EDID as requested. I also made some changes in the settings under Display. I changed DV Compatibility from Player Led to TV Led, turned off MaxCLL & MaxFALL and under Color Settings changed HDMI Signal Format to Enhanced. These changes made a big difference to the skin tones on people's faces so maybe it was one of those settings that was causing the issue.

The HDR formats I have are SDR, HDR10, HDR10+ and DV that's why I have HDR set to AUTO but happy to go by what you recommend. Only reason I set to AUTO so I don't need to go into the settings everytime and change according to the file type I'm watching. All my movies are either ISO, MKV or AVI format.

Attached Files:

• edid.txt
      File size:
      256 bytes
      Views:
  8. Markswift2003

Nothing odd in the EDID and if I load it here that makes my box behave exactly like yours does and I don't get the effect you see.

Since your display is not DV, changing DV compatibility is irrelevant. MaxCLL/FALL and HDMI Signal Format should make no difference either since one is just related to HDR metadata and the other only comes into play at 12-bit 422 60Hz which you won't be hitting (or anywhere near!).

The only time I've seen something similar to this is when using "Highest Rec.709" as the HDR mode with HDR10 content. In that case the Realtek engine is used to convert HDR to SDR and you can see exactly what you describe and show above.

HDR Auto is generally the best bet so all content is native (except DV which will be converted to HDR10).

9. Rickboy62

Rickboy62 New Member

This is the same picture after the adjustments I made. It does look much better so I'm confused now.

Attached Files:

10. Markswift2003

Me too, but hey, it's all good now :)

11. Rickboy62

Rickboy62 New Member

Was just thinking tho. The edid I sent you was after I made the adjustments not before. Maybe that's why you couldn't duplicate the same picture effects.

12. Markswift2003

No, the EDID doesn't change - it reports the display's capabilities to the source.