Feedback SD card problems

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by bobsthedog, Sep 30, 2016.

1. JReis

JReis New Member

thank you user 59
    I formatted my SD card as internal and gave error, stopped at 20%. On the computer, I deleted the partitions and put the zidoo back in. Asked to format, chose internal, formatted and asked if I want to transfer apps and photos, I said yes and it is working. Already more than 40 gb as storage.
    Allows you to transfer apps to the sd card.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    pirmas likes this.
  2. Anyone succesfully use this method for a usb hard disk drive?

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

As far as I know this feature is for SD-Cards only.

Will try the trick with deleting the partitions first on a PC and inserting next this evening. A new card comes partitioned and formatted, maybe that is the root cause of the problem?

Specifically in the 32GB - 64GB range you see hybrid specs for SDHC and SDXC. SDHC-Cards may carry both a SDHC (e.g. @10) and SDXC (e.g. U1) speed indicator. This is the type of card you want for the feature discussed here. Also 64 GB cards may be of the SDHC or SDXC type.
    SDXC is a much faster standard using the new UHS bus and the double symbols indicate that such a card supports also that bus despite being SDHC. When you put such a SDHC card into a card-reader for SDXC with UHS support, then it will be blazing fast. If the SDXC capable Card Reader is external then it must be USB3 connected as transfer speeds are way above USB2 limits. Measured 85 MB/sec Read and 30 MB/sec Write on a 12 Euro 32 GB SDHC card.
    Never seen a UHS/SDXC enabled media player yet which is a pity, so once inserted speeds will be still restricted to the old bus limitations.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  4. Nice Monkey

Confirmed: Indeed the only problem with the Setup is that the Lexar SD-Card Format Utility only accepts Un-partitioned SD-Cards. Not a real problem if it was documented properly as it is definitely not intuitive. The tool should best have an additional option to remove existing partitions.

Steps to follow are just 2:
    - On a PC remove the existing partition(s). Also needed for a brand-new card as it comes partioned and formatted from the factory.
    - Select the SD-Card under Setup ==> Storage & USB and follow instructions for Internal or External as desired.
    Once setup for Internal the card may not be removed anymore as it is then integral part of the system setup.

Thank user59 for trying this!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  5. Nice Monkey

The provided Android format tool will format a Portable SD-Card with FAT32. Understandable for Internal but for Portable exFAT or NTFS is preferable seen the 4 GByte file-size limit for FAT32.

6. pirmas

pirmas New Member

Great, thanks, it worked for me as well. 32gb

7. I just got a new sd card tried to internal format it and have 20% error. So i follow the instruction to delete all partition on a computer and insert it back into the x9s. When i do it flashes checking for less then a secound and then disapears. Any ideas on firmware v1.3.0

8. Nice Monkey

Please specify the details of the SD card with everything written on it or provide an image of the card itself or packaging.
    Does it work properly as External storage when formatted on a PC. This in fact is the first test to do always. It indicates hardware compatibility. If it does not work it won't work as Internal neither.

For partition removal please use Minitool Partition Wizard Free!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  9. Here is the image of the sd card

Attached Files:

10. Nice Monkey

According labels it is a hybrid SDXC card of 64 GByte with the UHS I speed not even specified on the label (sorry SANdisk that is bad) I presume it to be a class 1. It is also labeled to be a Class 10 in low speed compatibility mode which should be supported by X9S? See the "SD-card call out" attachment for what the various symbols mean.

Don't have any 64 GB or 128 GB cards myself to test with. Officially Zidoo supports SDHC cards up to 32 GByte only, so using a hybrid card of 64 Gb is in the grey area. Tested a 32 Gbyte hybrid card with my Zidoo X9S and that worked as Portable storage just fine, but my Xtreamer eXpress player using exactly the same chipset does not even find it!
    According to my findings thus far your card could potentially work, but maybe there are tiny differences how hybrid cards work or some format tools included have a real 32 Gbyte upper limit? By my knowledge hybrid is not a formal standard and neither is using native SDHC only above 32 GByte. Both type of cards are being sold though and even hybrid cards of 32 Gbyte do exist (the one I test hybrid with).

I would proceed with the next 2 things on the list:
    a) First using it as an External Storage device formatted on a PC where exFAT, NTFS, FAT32 should all work. For Internal FAT32 will be used so try that one primarily for card compatibility testing.
    b) Next use Minitool Partition Wizard Free to remove all partitions before inserting it for Internal formatting by the APP. That tool is much more advanced than Windows internal tools. Be aware this tool will let you make changes first and next these must be processed in a batch run.
    If a) works and after b) it still does not work then I will throw my towel in the ring.

Bottom line for adding a secondary Internal Storage resource 32 Gbyte should be more than adequate (next to the existing primary storage of 8 GByte or 16 GByte). I highly recommend going for pure SDHC only SD-cards up to 32 Gbyte for this purpose. Really want to go above 32 Gbyte then go for SDHC only cards for a safer bet (no guarantee). These are harder to find though (brand-less typically).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  11. Dairy_Farmer

Dairy_Farmer Member

It's a common problem. I got 2 identical Sandisk 32Gb cards. I got one to work as "internal" memory on my one x9s (after a good few goes), but my second x9s just won't have it. I only use them for saving media off Exodus, but you have to put it in the Kodi folder not in the root for it to work (well documented on the internet).

Don't see the need to expand my internal memory as i am only using it as a TV box nothing else, so not installing a lot of apps.

12. spring

spring Guest

it will fix the format sdcard problem(20% problem) next firware.

13. Jose Almeida

Jose Almeida New Member

Hi,
    IN the X10 there is no option to format as internal storage??? Anybody knows how to do it?

14. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

probably under android settings, storage. should be a option there,

15. Jose Almeida

Jose Almeida New Member

Nope no option

16. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

already replayed in another thread .. not sure why you pose the same problem in other people threads

17. Jose Almeida

Jose Almeida New Member

18. Nice Monkey

Yes. You must first remove the partition installed on another device. Then after re-insertion it will be found as unsupported and via settings you can format it next either as Internal or Portable storage. Tried it for SD-Card and USB-drive both working.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  19. Firmware v1.4.4 have a 32GB SD card and formatted as internal but after its done its shows as portable. Any Ideas?

dft601 likes this.
  20. Nice Monkey

FW 1.4.4 has many instabilities I would wait for the already announced bug-fix FW 1.4.5 and try once more after upgrading. Be sure to delete the partition before re-trying.