(resolved) WD My Book 3 TB not supported

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by spaziolino, Dec 26, 2016.

1. spaziolino

spaziolino New Member

Zidoo x9s not detect my WD My Book 3 TB. USB menu settings detect the drive, but is not supported, and I have to format it. The disk is already formatted in GPT. I'm sorry not to use it, i have problem only with X9S. X9s detects without problem WD passport 500 MB.

2. spring

spring Guest

Hi
    do you use the MAC to format it?

3. spaziolino

spaziolino New Member

No, I used PC with Windows. This 3 TB disk has about three years, with 1,5 TB used. With PC and Asus Media Player i never had problem. X9s Media Center not detect the disk

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  4. spring

spring Guest

hi
    could you use the chkdsk cmd to check the HDD first?
    X9S can support the 3T HDD.

5. nakata

nakata Member Beta test group

In case your disc is not self powered try to connect it to a self powered usb hub and then connect the usb hub with your zidoo

6. spaziolino

spaziolino New Member

1. I check the disk with different tools: 0 error, o damaged sectors or files
    2. The HDD is not self powered, I connect it to a self powered usb hub, but X9s cannot detect the disk. WD passport 500gb is detected also with USB Hub.

When i connect My Book 3TB the USB icon remains grey (not green as My passport) and Media Center doesn't show the HDD.

With all other devices i have no problem.

7. spaziolino

spaziolino New Member

8. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

How is your USB HDD partitioned? MBR or GPT?
    Many users reported that GPT is well recognized by X9S (not tested by me)
    You can use Minitool Partition Wizard Free ( https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html ) to repartition your HDD without data loss. You may discover other interesting things with this tool...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  9. spaziolino

spaziolino New Member

The disk is partitioned in GPT and has two partitions: primary partition (2.7 TB) and security partition (300 MB).

10. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Not good. Should be a single GPT partition. Windows will read this but media players don't like it.

11. spaziolino

spaziolino New Member

Yeste
    Yesterday i try to delete this protected partition with aomei partition assistant. The operation is not possible because this partition is a GPT protected partition. Can i delete this partition with other tool?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  12. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

Maybe is protected by windows itself.
    Best choice is to boot your PC with a live linux dstribution and detele the partition with any partitioning tool.
    I think use of Parted Magic as live distribution is the AIO solution: https://partedmagic.com/

13. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I am using myself "MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 9.1" which is really excellent even in the free version. Lets you format it also with EXT4 under Windows which for sure works too. Be aware that it first queues commands and needs an execute command to process them next.

14. spaziolino

spaziolino New Member

I will transfer all files from WD My Book to Sinology. Then I will format WD and inititialize in GPT format (only one partition)

15. spaziolino

spaziolino New Member

I solved the problem. I formatted WD, then I created unique GPT partition. Now X9s detect the WD. Probably the problem is the GPT Protective Partition.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016