No signal after trying to match resolution/frame rate/HDR

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by PG80, Mar 6, 2023.

1. PG80

PG80 New Member

Z1000 Pro has been working fine since last June. I had the match frame rate and resolution on and due to this as soon as I played a file there was a blank screen for a second until the tv and player clicked I guess and then the movie played just fine. Now whenever I try to play anything after the blank screen i get a no signal message. I've tried changing settings, rebooting, disconnecting HDMI, turning off power etc. but still the same. Anyone has any idea why this happens now after so many months. TV is a Sony A90J. HDMI signal for HDMI 4 is set to Enhanced Dolby Vision.

2. JohnG

JohnG Member

By chance have you changed your HDMI cable (the one from the Zidoo to your AVR or TV)? Try another HDMI cable and see if the problem remains. By chance have you changed any settings on the TV or the Zidoo?

PG80 likes this.
  3. PG80

PG80 New Member

The HDMI cable is the one that came in the box. Why would it start behaving like this now? No changes to settings in TV or the Zidoo. I'm using Zidoo recommended settings from these forums and HDMI on the TV is set to Enhanced (Dolby Vision).

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Does anything mean anything? ie any resolution, any framerate and/or any HDR mode (SDR, HDR or DV).

PG80 likes this.
  5. PG80

PG80 New Member

If I leave match frame rate and resolution on nothing I try plays. If I switch that off all titles other than Dolby Vision play fine. Dolby Vision still no.

Is there a solution other than a factory reset? And would that definitely work? If it's the cable why would the Zidoo cable that I've been using from the beginning be a problem now?

6. Markswift2003

Not a cable problem.

This is a really odd one and makes no sense at all - if you play a 1080p file - does that do the same (with Match Frame Rate and Resolution On)?

PG80 likes this.
  7. PG80

PG80 New Member

Yes tried 1080p with frame rate and resolution match and it wouldn't play.

I know it doesn't make any sense. I changed nothing in the setup. The only thing I can think of is I had an internet connection problem and PosterWall wouldn't detect newly added files the day before and the clock was stuck at 3am.

I unplugged the ethernet cable and plugged back in and this was fixed but now this problem with no signal. I can't see how it's related to be honest but it probably is right?

8. Markswift2003

I can't see how but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Next thing to try is play a movie and when it's running, even though you can't see it, press the "Resolution" button on the remote a few times successively. Leave a few seconds gap to allow HDMI to resync and see if you can get a picture. This cycles through resolutions.

PG80 likes this.
  9. PG80

PG80 New Member

I try to switch resolution while playing it goes to no signal. If it's no signal to begin with switching resolution doesn't fix it.

10. Markswift2003

Really difficult one to diagnose without actually being there - from what you describe it just sounds like the HDMI output shuts down when you play a file.

The fact that any file of any resolution and any HDR mode does it is really indicative of a software fault in the player.

And the Dolby Vision thing when you turn AFR off is really odd too.

My next step would be connect directly to the TV and see if it can play. Also set everything to Auto - ie Auto framerate, auto resolution and auto HDR mode - back to basics!

Other than that, although this is very rarely needed, I'd be doing a factory reset after making a backup of my HT4 library.

PG80 likes this.
  11. PG80

PG80 New Member

The Zidoo is already connected directly to the TV. Could this be the TV's problem? The Sony A90J has not displayed any other problem with playback other than this one with Zidoo.

12. Markswift2003

Probably the only way you could tell that for certain would be with something like an HDFury device so you could see what the Zidoo is kicking out, if anything.

My suspicion here is the Zidoo has gone a bit mad and needs resetting. No idea why. Never seen this behaviour, but it all kind of points in that direction.

Anything that just happens on its own with absolutely no user changes has to point to kit trouble rather than finger trouble...

PG80 likes this.
  13. PG80

PG80 New Member

Is it possible to point me to detailed instructions how to reset? Right now I have a hard drive installed in the internal bay. I should remove that first right? All my movies are stored on that. I don't have a NAS or any other external hard drives.

What exactly does it mean backing up the HT4 library? If I take out the hard drive and install it after I reset the Zidoo would I need to backup anything? Sorry for the many questions but I want to get it right.

14. Markswift2003

1. Make a note of your display/audio/network settings etc. (Quick Settings)

2. Take a backup of HT4 and save to hard disc (HT4/Settings/Library/Backup).

3. Remove the hard disc

4. Factory Reset (Quick Settings/Recovery and Reset/Restore Factory Settings)

5. Once reset, restore your settings using notes made in 1. above

6. Restore HT4 from backup (HT4/Settings/Library/Restore)

PG80 likes this.
  15. PG80

PG80 New Member

Thanks. What exactly is backed up with HT4/Settings/Library/Backup?

16. Markswift2003

PG80 likes this.