DVD MKV Playback

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Edworld, Feb 23, 2023.

1. Edworld

Edworld Member

I could not find an answer to this question using search ...

I have DVD MKV's in my collection and trying to play at native resolution. No matter what settings I use they get upscaled to 3840 2160 60Hz

I am sure there is an easy fix

Thanks

2. JohnG

JohnG Member

"Settings" > "Display" Choose the resolution you prefer from the drop down menu.

3. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

do you mean you have made mkv’s from your DVD’s? If so post a media info report of one of them. Check in settings you haven’t set 3840 2160 60Hz. If so set resolution to auto

4. Edworld

Edworld Member

This had no impact

5. Edworld

Edworld Member

I set the resolution to AUTO and movie still showing upscaled.

Mediainfo shows:

Video
    ID : 1
    ID in the original source medium : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings : CustomMatrix / BVOP
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12
    Codec ID : V_MPEG2
    Codec ID/Info : MPEG 1 or 2 Video
    Duration : 1 h 47 min
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 5 323 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate : 9 800 kb/s
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 23.976 (23976/1000) FPS
    Original frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.642
    Stream size : 4.00 GiB (92%)
    Language : English
    Default : No
    Forced : No
    Original source medium : DVD-Video

6. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

For content in SD, the Zidoo will always upscale in 4K before to send it to your TV, no matter if you select "switch frame rate & resolution". The same operation your 4K TV would do to display content in SD btw.

7. Edworld

Edworld Member

Thanks for your input.

It does send bluray mkv's at 1080P, I am probably one of the few members that have SD content, most of my tvshows are SD

8. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

Yes, the Zidoo will send 1080P content in its native resolution, using the appropriate settings, but not for SD. I still have few DVDs remuxed in MKV in my collection and you will always get this in output. Not 100% sure but there was an issue, maybe a year ago or more, with aspect ratio for SD content and I think that they solved it this way.

I don't remember for 720p content.

Would you prefer the TV do the upscaling?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  9. Edworld

Edworld Member

Yes, I prefer the TV doing the upscaling under the assumption that Sony probably does it better.

10. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

For old SD DVD videos, suggest you try installing ZDMC (a fork of Kodi) as the old Kodi software player was originally built for DVD's and still handles them quite well (.avi, mpeg2 etc) within the low resolution limitations.
    For 720p+ videos, it will use the Zidoo hardware player (and its Settings) by default.
    It may do what you want but be aware, a lot of people prefer the Zidoo upscaling to their TV's, so a lot will depend on your own preference.

You can only polish a 480p/576p video so far, to watch it in 2160p......

11. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

HDMI doesn't allow 23.976fps for SD content, only 50Hz for PAL and 59.94/60Hz* for NTSC resolutions so in order to maintain frame rate the content has to be upscaled to a mode that supports the framerate.

* Multiples up to 200Hz for PAL and 240Hz for NTSC are also supported but rarely used