(resolved) External USB HDD formatted in NTFS not compatible ?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by hdaiforever, Dec 22, 2016.

1. hdaiforever

hdaiforever Member

Hello,

I formatted an external hard drive (1To) USB2.0 in NTFS with my PC (windows 7), it is recognized with windows 7 but the X9S tells me NOT COMPATIBLE

I try to format it via the X9S in internal or external storage but this remains blocked at 20% and it stops with an error message.

What should be done ?

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  2. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

1) i don't think you can hse HDD as internal storage. only SD card
    2) try also formatting it GPT

3. hdaiforever

hdaiforever Member

1) I tried to format it in external storage, it starts and stops at 20%
    I see the USB hard drive in the USB settings of the X9S but it is marked NOT COMPATIBLE

2) I will try to format it in GPT

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Don't use the Internal Android Format tool under Setup ==> Storage for a HDD. Never heard of a good result doing so.
    Anyway this version with current FW only works correctly even for a SD-Card when all partitions have been removed first. If not the notorious 20% error will pop-up.

I presume you are saying a 1 TByte HDD? Such a HDD will work with a standard format under Windows (MBR + NTFS) provided it is (E)SATA attached during the format (not USB). It does not matter if it is USB2/3 as none will work. It will work under Windows though. The reasons are small differences in the format which the simple implementation on Android does not deal with correctly. Known for years and happens on all media player brands/products.

For a HDD over 2 TByte you need GPT + NTFS always, but should work also with smaller HDD's (but not compatible with Windows below 7).

freeroc likes this.
  5. hdaiforever

hdaiforever Member

Super, it worked, formatting in GPT allowed the X9S to format external storage my hard drive, it is now compatible.

A big thanks for you ;-)

[​IMG]

6. yrxe

yrxe New Member

hi,

I have no luck. made format as GPT NTFS. HDD is 0.5TB size.
    My main issue that it doesnt want to work on usb3 port, while it does work ok on USB2 port. but obviously that is not fine, USB2 is slow, I have lots of data I need to manage.

any suggestions?

one thing to mention, at the same time I try to connect new HDD I also have HDD already conected (WD green series 2TB via SATA interface).

7. hdaiforever

hdaiforever Member

I also have a HDD 2To SATA on the X9S.

The 2nd HDD is in USB2.0, I have not tried the 3.0 because I read that there were problems with this port.
    It was formatted in GUI with the disk manager of windows, I then put it on the X9S and I chose to format it externally and not internally.
    The capacity is good of 1To as the HDD.

8. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

What'd you mean "doesn't work"? 1,usb3 runs in usb2 mode? 2,no responds at all?
    Have you tested other HDD or U-DISK? same resulsts?
    More details please! Don't just say don't work.

PacoRabanne likes this.
  9. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

if the HDD is USB 2.0. then you plug in on 3.0 port for nothing. you will not have better speeds. it will be limited to 2.0.

your best bet is to remove it from the case and use the SATA port on the box ( if you want more speed then 2.0 can handle ) this also depends on how the HDD is made. some have boards directly made for USB only.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  10. Nice Monkey

Never seen any HDD which did not work with SATA and USB via a USB/ATA bridge. But formats used in fact are mostly conflictive when the HDD is above 2TB.
    Will post a tutorial about this.

11. yrxe

yrxe New Member

Hmm. Obviously there are plenty configurations how to increase storage for the device. However I want to point out only one thing.
    Why it works onusb 2.0 port but it doesnt work on usb 3.0 port?

When I say it doesnt work, I mean:
    1. I plug it to usb 3.0 port, then it appears as an external storage under storage menu for 20 secs or so.
    2. Under device name in list. Status is being updated to unsupported/ not recognized (will check exactly, when I come back home) for few seconds
    3. After this Hdd is removed from list of available storage devices. Not present anymore.

I also trued using same cable, same HDD but pluged into usb 2.0 port it works without issues.

I tried using this HDD with same cable connected to my pc usb3.0 port and it works as expected there.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  12. Nice Monkey