Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1295)' started by witchdoctor, Jan 20, 2023.

1. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

Hi,
    I bought a new HGST Ultrastar 10TB Hard drive, formatted it with NTFS through my windows PC, inserted it in the drive bay for Zidoo Z10 Pro and it doesn't see it. I tried the same steps again, nothing. It has no problems seeing files on my NAS but not a drive inserted internally. Anyone have a suggestion?

2. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

Maybe delete the partition with disk management and create a new one (NTFS GPT), then format it again and give a name to the hdd.

3. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

If your disk has a hidden partition at the beginning, hidden from Windows operating system you may need some utility to clean it up. Check it here.

4. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

Thanks, I'll try both recommendations

5. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

I downloaded MiniTool Partition Wizard and there WAS a hidden partition! The wizard displayed it like this:
    upload_2023-1-22_11-38-43.png

6. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

I tried to delete the (other) 16MB partition but all I could do is wipe it. I reformatted the disk in NTFS and will see what happens now.

7. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I think you could download bootable version of Gparted program and boot your PC from USB thumb drive. I was able to remove this hidden partition without effecting data on the main partition. I did it from Raspberry Pi and fixed USB attached drive that had this hidden partition.

8. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

Thanks, I am going to return the drive and try a different one. I wasn't able to have any luck. Your observation was spot on, thanks

9. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

WD Red Plus works well with my Zidoo if that can help you.

10. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Any green quiet drive will work great with Zidoo. I look for as big and cheap as possible :D. Reputable brand names guarantee longevity. You will never see a difference between the most expensive high performance drive and WD Green drive when used with Zidoo in NAS or directly connected!

11. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

I appreciate the help, I'll check out those drives. Are they basically format NTFS and then plug and play?

12. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

It depends. If you buy bare drive it is clean and unpartitioned. Any USB with housing drives will be partitioned and should be NTFS.

13. videobruce

videobruce Member

FWIW; This is the sub forum for the X10, not the Z10 Pro! Thou the comments probably apply to both.